• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gonzaga suspends Stockton's season tickets, for not wearing mask

mthoopsfan

" Gonzaga and its most prominent alumnus are at odds over the school’s mask mandate, leading Gonzaga to suspend Stockton’s season tickets at home basketball games. In an interview with The Spokesman-Review on Saturday at The Warehouse – the Spokane-based gym Stockton has owned since 2002 – the NBA’s all-time assists and steals leader, and one of only two players who’s had his number retired by Gonzaga, confirmed the university’s decision to suspend his season tickets for failing to comply with the mask mandate."

https://hoopshype.com/2022/01/23/gonzaga-suspends-john-stocktons-season-tickets/

This is a much better article.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2022/jan/23/john-stocktons-refusal-to-comply-with-mask-mandate/

mthoopsfan said:
" Gonzaga and its most prominent alumnus are at odds over the school’s mask mandate, leading Gonzaga to suspend Stockton’s season tickets at home basketball games. In an interview with The Spokesman-Review on Saturday at The Warehouse – the Spokane-based gym Stockton has owned since 2002 – the NBA’s all-time assists and steals leader, and one of only two players who’s had his number retired by Gonzaga, confirmed the university’s decision to suspend his season tickets for failing to comply with the mask mandate."

https://hoopshype.com/2022/01/23/gonzaga-suspends-john-stocktons-season-tickets/

Stockton struggling to understand that the rules apply to him as well. Well done GU administration, send that old crazy bastard out to pasture.

Too bad about John, sounds like he handled well enough as reported, didn't sound like he went off the rails. Would be easy for him to mask up, make a deal, watch some BB!

Much deeper than wearing masks. A lot deeper. He very much is neck deep in the conspiratorial end of this vaccination thing and has been really quite vocal about it. Essentially claims that 100's of professional athletes have died because of the vaccine or intimates as such. This is very much on brand for Stockton who has had some rather interesting takes on a broad array of issues over the past few years. Gonzaga administrators are okay with the fact that in suspending his tickets that they would be potentially severing ties with maybe their greatest player ever. This relationship hasn't been all that simpatico for a while.

Unfortunate.

I suppose a person could make a reasonable anti-vax argument, but Stockton sounds like the Mayor of Crazytown in this morning’s Washington Post story.

Grizfan-24 said:
Much deeper than wearing masks. A lot deeper. He very much is neck deep in the conspiratorial end of this vaccination thing and has been really quite vocal about it. Essentially claims that 100's of professional athletes have died because of the vaccine or intimates as such. This is very much on brand for Stockton who has had some rather interesting takes on a broad array of issues over the past few years. Gonzaga administrators are okay with the fact that in suspending his tickets that they would be potentially severing ties with maybe their greatest player ever. This relationship hasn't been all that simpatico for a while.

Unfortunate.

Really interesting. Thanks for a bit of back story. I have always admired Stockton, but he fell a few notches with this issue.

I think Stockon as a person is a good enough guy, but he isn't the first professional athlete who comes out of left field with a heavy dose of crazy. As I noted on twitter yesterday there is an element of being a highly successful athletes who reside their whole life in a thought bubble, where they are surround by people who don't want to rock the boat or are a bunch of sycophantic yes-men. Really easy to get some confirmation bias. Over my 20 plus years as a coach at the high school level and my experience as a player as well, you can hear some really bizarre shit in the locker room.

Stockton has handled this a lot better than some other past stars who have had their wings clipped a bit by making controversial statements. Many of these types of situations end up with the person being generally stunned that others don't agree with them. I think Stockton at least understood that he was holding a minority held view point and why he was willing to exit side door without making a big stink.

While I understand Gonzaga's views and action, it's going to be uncomfortable the next time the AD or President want to ask Stockton for a donation or favor. I assume Stockton has helped Gonzaga and sports a lot over the years. Also, at this point of the covid, it doesn't seem that masks at games are that common. Maybe a WA requirement. I don't see masked crowds at many games on tv. In fact, I'm not sure if I've noticed any masked games. Is there data that says that masks will save people, or many people, from serious illness or death. This action may also impact his estate planning and the views of his family, some of whom went to Gonzaga. Would Montana take away the tickets of the Washington family?

mthoopsfan said:
While I understand Gonzaga's views and action, it's going to be uncomfortable the next time the AD or President want to ask Stockton for a donation or favor. I assume Stockton has helped Gonzaga and sports a lot over the years. Also, at this point of the covid, it doesn't seem that masks at games are that common. Maybe a WA requirement. I don't see masked crowds at many games on tv. In fact, I'm not sure if I've noticed any masked games. Is there data that says that masks will save people, or many people, from serious illness or death. This action may also impact his estate planning and the views of his family, some of whom went to Gonzaga. Would Montana take away the tickets of the Washington family?

And you spent the last two years where ?

Feel free provide your links regarding masks at sporting events. Thanks in advance for your links.

From tonight's Wall St. Journal:

"As for masking, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently acknowledged that cloth masks do relatively little to prevent spread. Some experts on coronaviruses, including epidemiologist Michael Osterholm, for nearly two years have questioned the efficacy of masks. A recent rigorous review by his University of Minnesota research group concludes: “We are well past the emergency phase of this pandemic, and it should be well-known by now that wearing cloth face coverings or surgical masks, universal or otherwise, has a very minor role to play. . . . It is time to stop overselling their efficacy and unrealistic expectations about their ability to end the pandemic.”

The first large randomized community-level study, published last month in Science, found that while generic surgical masks provided a modest (about 10%) reduction in the risk of infection from Delta, cloth masks didn’t significantly reduce risk. Masks may be even less protective against an extremely contagious variant like Omicron."

Christopher Murray of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation estimates in the Lancet that the number of Omicron deaths “seems to be similar in most countries to the level of a bad influenza season in northern hemisphere countries.”

What is anyone missing about the hundreds of college and NBA games being played around the country with thousands of fans attending without masks? Anyone hear about super-spreader events from these games? The supreme court has already struck-down mask mandates.

Cloth masks provide no protection, because the virus is much smaller than the weave size of cloth used to make these masks. There is a reason why sleepy Joe in now wasting billions of dollars buying N95 masks for everyone, even though the pandemic is very close to becoming an endemic. Just like failing to provide America with Covid testing kids until now, Biden reacts too late, instead of proactively.

I agree with Stockton's refusal to comply with a ridiculous mandate which is not supported by science.

LaJollaGriz said:
What is anyone missing about the hundreds of college and NBA games being played around the country with thousands of fans attending without masks? Anyone hear about super-spreader events from these games? The supreme court has already struck-down mask mandates.

Cloth masks provide no protection, because the virus is much smaller than the weave size of cloth used to make these masks. There is a reason why sleepy Joe in now wasting billions of dollars buying N95 masks for everyone, even though the pandemic is very close to becoming an endemic. Just like failing to provide America with Covid testing kids until now, Biden reacts too late, instead of proactively.

I agree with Stockton's refusal to comply with a ridiculous mandate which is not supported by science.

Calling Darwin, cleanup coming soon on aisle 0.

One more time for the people who sat in the back:
Wearing a mask will protect those around you from infection. COVID-19 is spread from person to person by respiratory droplets, which are largely projected when you cough, sneeze, talk and sing. Cloth face masks act as barriers, preventing those around you from inhaling these droplets.

fanofzoo said:
LaJollaGriz said:

Calling Darwin, cleanup coming soon on aisle 0.

One more time for the people who sat in the back:
Wearing a mask will protect those around you from infection. COVID-19 is spread from person to person by respiratory droplets, which are largely projected when you cough, sneeze, talk and sing. Cloth face masks act as barriers, preventing those around you from inhaling these droplets.

Nice try but no cigar. If the virus can easily breach a cloth mask, the very act of breathing will release virus, allowing it to escape. No need to sneeze or cough. The droplet thingy has been amended by the science. There is a reason why Biden is spending billions on providing N95 masks to Americans.

Back