• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky WBB transfers

OregonStateFan

Wow… lots of players leaving the ISU program - impactful ones too.
https://twitter.com/raoul_000/status/1505251183254024203?s=21

By "leaving," I assume you mean they have entered the transfer portal. Certainly with the success the Lady Bengals had this year, they can hope to move to "greener" pastures. We've not heard of any major problems with the ISU program, but it is Pokie, after all, so perhaps one can understand.

Idaho Falls Griz, It is also Poky (not Pokie, by the way) that turns out in droves to support ISU Women’s Basketball and also Poky that has helped the Lady Bengals incur a 90% winning record in Reed Gym over the past years and also Poky the place that Seton Sobolewski has chosen to remain over the last 15 years (2nd longest tenure of any Big Sky Basketball coach, by the way, which is only one year less than Tricia Benford).

Pokybengal said:
Idaho Falls Griz, It is also Poky (not Pokie, by the way) that turns out in droves to support ISU Women’s Basketball and also Poky that has helped the Lady Bengals incur a 90% winning record in Reed Gym over the past years and also Poky the place that Seton Sobolewski has chosen to remain over the last 15 years (2nd longest tenure of any Big Sky Basketball coach, by the way, which is only one year less than Tricia Benford).
I stand corrected on "Poky." Will try to do better in the future.

I am well aware that the Lady Bengals have had a strong program for the past several years. Not so much on the fan support because the IF paper is pretty slim on detailed coverage of ISU basketball (or its sports programs in general, for that matter). So I'll take your word for that.

But that still leaves the question: Do we know why those players have entered the transfer portal? Except for the freshman, their scoring stats indicate they're getting pretty good playing time. So what's up?

IdaGriz01 said:
Pokybengal said:
I stand corrected on "Poky." Will try to do better in the future.

I am well aware that the Lady Bengals have had a strong program for the past several years. Not so much on the fan support because the IF paper is pretty slim on detailed coverage of ISU basketball (or its sports programs in general, for that matter). So I'll take your word for that.

But that still leaves the question: Do we know why those players have entered the transfer portal? Except for the freshman, their scoring stats indicate they're getting pretty good playing time. So what's up?

Some statistical data from the Big Sky Conf Women's Basketball season-final statistics for 2021-22: The ISU Bengals ranked 3rd in Big Sky team attendance for ALL games (835pg/13 games) and for CONF games (914pg/10 games). It's a very solid fan base by Big Sky standards. Ranked second in those categories is Montana State ( 1457 pg/15 games and in conf 1494 pg/10 games). Montana is ranked first in the Big Sky in ALL games (2607 pg /15 games) and for CONF games (2485/10 games). Montana's SEASON TOTAL # of paid fans was 37,282, compared to MSU's 21,854 and ISU's season total # for all games at 10,854.

I personally consider Seton Sobolewski the dean of all current Big Sky coaches. He also gives great, transparent interviews to journalists.

Next season Idaho State will lose:
Graduation
- Dora Goles - 7.9 PPG
- Callie Bourne - 7.0 PPG (has a COVID-19 year)
- Estafania Ors - 11.5 PPG

Transfer
- Tomekia Whitman - 11.9 PPG
- Montana Oltrogge - 10.1 PPG
- Diaba Konate - 10.0 PPG

OregonStateFan said:
Next season Idaho State will lose:
Graduation
- Dora Goles - 7.9 PPG
- Callie Bourne - 7.0 PPG (has a COVID-19 year)
- Estafania Ors - 11.5 PPG

Transfer
- Tomekia Whitman - 11.9 PPG
- Montana Oltrogge - 10.1 PPG
- Diaba Konate - 10.0 PPG

Looks like Diaba Konate withdrew her name from the transfer portal (ref. Raoul's web site), but still, they're going to be down quite a few. It also shows Paisley Specht and Jordan Sweeney in portal.
https://www.idahostatejournal.com/s...cle_5aa5cee1-6401-5148-a9c6-dcd509b32520.html

Lamprini Polymeni becomes the first Lady Griz to enter the portal this off-season. Not a major surprise.

Will be interesting to see if Holsinger brings in any transfers.

OregonStateFan said:
Lamprini Polymeni becomes the first Lady Griz to enter the portal this off-season. Not a major surprise.

Thank you OregonStateFan. You provide great information and I can't tell you how much I sincerely appreciate it and look forward to your posts.

OregonStateFan said:

The coach's quotes last summer on his recruit.

“She is a combo guard who can play the point or play the wing,” said Holsinger. “She can handle the ball, she can score. I think she’ll fit in perfectly as a guard who can do a little bit of everything.”

“She is very savvy. Her dad is a coach, so she understands the game,” said Holsinger. “When you’ve had international experience at the highest level, in my experience that translates really well (to the college game).

“Each of us on the staff got on the phone and got to know her and really enjoyed her as a person. She is really focused on being a great player.”

“She’s played with older players, so she has a maturity to her game,” said Holsinger. “She is a young, veteran-type guard.”

https://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-lady-griz-sign-greece-guard-lamprini-polymeni/article_7868be32-08cd-5c2f-b476-8a59db1ffc41.html

[One year of scholarship money down the drain.]

mthoopsfan said:
OregonStateFan said:

“She is a combo guard who can play the point or play the wing,” said Holsinger. “She can handle the ball, she can score. I think she’ll fit in perfectly as a guard who can do a little bit of everything.”

“She is very savvy. Her dad is a coach, so she understands the game,” said Holsinger. “When you’ve had international experience at the highest level, in my experience that translates really well (to the college game).

“Each of us on the staff got on the phone and got to know her and really enjoyed her as a person. She is really focused on being a great player.”

“She’s played with older players, so she has a maturity to her game,” said Holsinger. “She is a young, veteran-type guard.”

https://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-lady-griz-sign-greece-guard-lamprini-polymeni/article_7868be32-08cd-5c2f-b476-8a59db1ffc41.html

What would this be considered then??

2S-SG Freddy Brown III (S SO GT-2E) - (3-14-22)
2S-SF Kyle Owens (S JR TR- 2E)- (3-14-22)
2S-SG Jack Wetzel (WO FR TR - 3E)- (3-15-22)
2S-PG Cameron Parker (S SR GT-1E)- (3-16-22)
2S-SG Robby Beasley III (S So TR-3E)- (3-30-22)

rgrizfan said:
mthoopsfan said:

What would this be considered then??

2S-SG Freddy Brown III (S SO GT-2E) - (3-14-22)
2S-SF Kyle Owens (S JR TR- 2E)- (3-14-22)
2S-SG Jack Wetzel (WO FR TR - 3E)- (3-15-22)
2S-PG Cameron Parker (S SR GT-1E)- (3-16-22)
2S-SG Robby Beasley III (S So TR-3E)- (3-30-22)

Nice production out of Owens, Parker and Beasley for multiple years. Brown was probably partially a favor. Don't recall Wetzel. None of the 4 redshirted (or whatever she did) and then transferred. Huge difference.

mthoopsfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Do the previous 2 seasons next.

Did anyone go into the transfer portal the previous two years?

How about Gabi Harrington to Idaho who was a really good player and also Jamie Pickens to Carroll one of the highest rated Lady Griz recruits ever.

Griz1 said:
mthoopsfan said:

How about Gabi Harrington to Idaho who was a really good player and also Jamie Pickens to Carroll one of the highest rated Lady Griz recruits ever.

Last year's transfers included:
- Dixson (FR) -> Cal State San Marcos
- Mills (JR) -> Southeastern University
- Momberg (FR) -> Montana Western
- Murphy (FR) -> UT Chattanooga
- Schweyen (FR) -> Montana State (for Track & Field)

Griz1 said:
mthoopsfan said:

Did either go through the transfer portal?

Does anyone think that their scholarships at UM were a waste of money?

GrizBaba said:
Griz1 said:

Last year's transfers included:
- Dixson (FR) -> Cal State San Marcos
- Mills (JR) -> Southeastern University
- Momberg (FR) -> Montana Western
- Murphy (FR) -> UT Chattanooga
- Schweyen (FR) -> Montana State (for Track & Field)

I wouldn't call them "transfers". They were terminated and found new programs. Did any of them go through the portal? Did any of them voluntarily leave the LG? Murphy would have been a contributor this past season. A good rebounder.

Back