• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Braggs in Portal

Grizfan-24

Staff member
Per Verbal Commits, Johnny Braggs is in the portal.

Good luck Johnny we barely knew thee.

Grizfan-24 said:
Per Verbal Commits, Johnny Braggs is in the portal.

Good luck Johnny we barely knew thee.

Wow, wasn't he penciled in as wing shooter, ball handler extraordinaire.

This just sucks a big one! Why would anyone sit on the bench as a Redshirt for an entire season, then at this late date go into the Portal. I hate this Portal Crap! Sucks! Sucks! Sucks!

The timing of this suggests he is being run-off. My guess is for a more experienced point guard in the portal.

This one is a mystery. I doubt seriously he was forced out, especially this late. Had he been forced out, I think Braggs would have hit the portal a lot earlier if Travis was looking to use a scholarship.

IMO he was probably forced out. If he were to leave on his own accord he would have entered the portal much earlier, similar to KO, Cam, Beasley, and every other player that left the program.
As previously mentioned, with the exit of Cam and Beasley, I think its safe to assume that the coaching staff has been heavily recruiting the portal for another PG, and waited to cut anyone until there was clarity regarding who we would be opening the scholarship for. If I were a betting man I would think we are close to another commitment.

I'm really starting to intensely dislike this portal dance. Part of what is fun about watching college roundball is seeing a kid like Kryslo bloom over his career from a raw frosh into a pretty good ball player his last year. As a fan you kind of get to go on the ride with him and it gives you a little bit of a satisfaction seeing that happen over time. My earliest memories of hoops are my local JC who for a few years made the national tournament and listening to the Gophers with Archie Clark and Lou Hudson in the mid 60s on my 5 dollar transistor radio on low volume under the covers because my brother was sleeping. Watched Walt Frazier and S Illinois lose to Valpo in the D2 title game around then (on Raycom Sports in black and white, lol). There's enough silli- and crappiness in the world to make a guy lean cynical, just don't want it creep into my hoops addiction. :shock:

Have to add my buddy and I were laughing about 2nd grade hoops. We were the Mallards and he reminded me we were undefeated that season. Was like 6 or 7 games and the scores were like 8 to 4, we hit 10 a couple times I think. :lol:

Since we're all just speculating, here's another. That one of the transfers has pulled Braggs along with him. So I'd look out for Portland State, UC Riverside or UC Davis as a landing spot.

This guy looked like he was ready to transfer at last fall's Silver Maroon scrimmage. No fire and looked bored to death.

Remember when this board thought Chris Cobb was a recruiting guru and heir apparent to Travis once he went to the Pac 12?

mthoopsfan is an expert on wasted scholarships. Is this one......or is Holsinger the only Griz coach who wastes scholarships?

citay said:
Since we're all just speculating, here's another. That one of the transfers has pulled Braggs along with him. So I'd look out for Portland State, UC Riverside or UC Davis as a landing spot.

According to Verbal Commits - PSU and Riverside are out of scholarships. The portal effectively closes Friday (technically Sunday May 1st) for new entrees. Not saying your speculation is wrong, just unlikely.

Griz1 said:
GrizWhiz can you tell me why this thread came up again? I must be missing something.

Up until now, there was no news (at least that I saw) that addressed where Braggs was transferring to. There is still nothing on Verbalcommits.

GrizWhiz said:
Griz1 said:
GrizWhiz can you tell me why this thread came up again? I must be missing something.

Up until now, there was no news (at least that I saw) that addressed where Braggs was transferring to. There is still nothing on Verbalcommits.

Thanks for the reply.

Had to look up CSN Coyotes. The College of Southern Nevada is a JUCO with about 30,000 students. They had a 13-18 record last year.

DoubleNicks said:
Had to look up CSN Coyotes. The College of Southern Nevada is a JUCO with about 30,000 students. They had a 13-18 record last year.

They are an overnight Juco baseball powerhouse (Bryce Harper was the #1 pick overall from said school), and I am sure they will be in BB soon as well.

He lost his senior year to Covid so he hasn't played a game in a couple of years. This is probably a good thing for him.

Back