• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

read it and weep

Should anyone be surprised? This is probably just the first public acknowledgement that this is going on.

MikeyGriz said:
Should anyone be surprised? This is probably just the first public acknowledgement that this is going on.

Nail on the head. Perhaps even another nail in the coffin.

GrizBaba said:
MikeyGriz said:

Do any UM student athletes have NIL contracts? I would doubt if NIL agreements impact Big Sky Conference student athletes to any degree.

Spanky2 said:
GrizBaba said:
Do any UM student athletes have NIL contracts? I would doubt if NIL agreements impact Big Sky Conference student athletes to any degree.

Not yet, wait for it, it's coming.

fanofzoo said:
Spanky2 said:

Yes they can and do. Akem had 1, maybe more. I know of 1 with a watch company.

I think Lucas Johnson has arrangements within music.

I'm hoping Huot does terrific. Him with Huhot would be terrific. Ditto Justin Ford with Ford.

mtgrizrule said:
fanofzoo said:

Yes they can and do. Akem had 1, maybe more. I know of 1 with a watch company.

I think Lucas Johnson has arrangements within music.

I'm hoping Huot does terrific. Him with Huhot would be terrific. Ditto Justin Ford with Ford.
We’ll, that’s somewhat surprising. Are there agents contacting UM student-athletes? Do you know the approximate size of the Akem contract?

Shouldn't high school athletes have the same right to benefit from NIL? Whatever legal principles apply at the collegiate level must also apply at the high school level. Could lead to a few dominant high school teams with the rest being "farm schools."

At the collegiate level, combine NIL with the transfer portal, and "no penalty" transfers, I don't see how small communities like Missoula without a strong economic base can compete.

I wouldn't want to be Travis trying to recruit against Sac State or Weber. It is now simply a bidding war.

717s7e said:
Shouldn't high school athletes have the same right to benefit from NIL? Whatever legal principles apply at the collegiate level must also apply at the high school level. Could lead to a few dominant high school teams with the rest being "farm schools."

At the collegiate level, combine NIL with the transfer portal, and "no penalty" transfers, I don't see how small communities like Missoula without a strong economic base can compete.

I wouldn't want to be Travis trying to recruit against Sac State or Weber. It is now simply a bidding war.
Most any college town has businesses capable of offering NIL contracts. The difference, in my view, is the number of quality athletes that might be deserving of a contract as compared to athletes at an ACC or SEC school.

"My priority is to act with the highest level of character and integrity. Any further statements will be made by me personally." :lol:

Spanky2 said:
717s7e said:

Most any college town has businesses capable of offering NIL contracts. The difference, in my view, is the number of quality athletes that might be deserving of a contract as compared to athletes at an ACC or SEC school.

That article says that if you don't pony up NIL money I'm gone and it better be a high dollar.

IMHO all this is not going to end well.

Back