• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

DCH

HelenaHandBasket

is in the transfer portal.

Verbal Commits
@VerbalCommits
Montana F Derrick Carter-Hollinger has entered the transfer portal.

What the fuck dude? He can't even play right away now. He should have no bitch with the program whatsoever. Decuire stuck with him even after a major injury riddled season the year before. He was gonna be a major contributor next year. What on earth is he thinking?

GrizWhiz said:
UncleRico said:
Ah Shit. I like that kid.
Rico- are you still anticipating a new grad transfer point guard?

I wouldn't be surprised if there is someone they added that hasn't been announced. Hence DJ leaving after the deadline. I have no information just speculation on this.

Teams are free to add players all the way up until the first few weeks of school (typically 15 to 30 days) and as long as they are a) eligible to complete at the NCAA level b) team has roster space c) scholarships are available (if given a scholarship) d) if a transfer that his prior school submitted his name into the portal and got clearance.

The portal close date has more to do with administrative elements for setting rosters for the next academic school year. As far as I understand, the only barrier after the May date is how the authorization process occurs for portal entry. Most schools have rubber stamped this since the 1 free transfer rule was implemented two years ago. Players know that it is sort of with cause (why you'd leave after May) and there might be a hold up for clearance.

As far as I know and have read that as long as the player has a free transfer there isn't anything stopping them to transfer after May 1, it gets a bit more conditional (roster limits, scholarship availability, etc) and complicated. My understanding after May 1 schools cannot add players without having space on their roster and removal of the one year funding cannot be undone by the school (pulling the scholarship) unless there is a non-academic progress issue.

So I think from what I gather DCH was free to transfer and likely won't have to sit. Next year.

Grizfan-24 said:
Teams are free to add players all the way up until the first few weeks of school (typically 15 to 30 days) and as long as they are a) eligible to complete at the NCAA level b) team has roster space c) scholarships are available (if given a scholarship) d) if a transfer that his prior school submitted his name into the portal and got clearance.

The portal close date has more to do with administrative elements for setting rosters for the next academic school year. As far as I understand, the only barrier after the May date is how the authorization process occurs for portal entry. Most schools have rubber stamped this since the 1 free transfer rule was implemented two years ago. Players know that it is sort of with cause (why you'd leave after May) and there might be a hold up for clearance.

As far as I know and have read that as long as the player has a free transfer there isn't anything stopping them to transfer after May 1, it gets a bit more conditional (roster limits, scholarship availability, etc) and complicated. My understanding after May 1 schools cannot add players without having space on their roster and removal of the one year funding cannot be undone by the school (pulling the scholarship) unless there is a non-academic progress issue.

So I think from what I gather DCH was free to transfer and likely won't have to sit. Next year.
I hope he can. He just seemed like a great kid that fought through a lot of injuries and always played hard.

Don't we have two available?

F Dischon Thomas (JR) 6'9
F Mack Anderson (SR) 6'9
F Josh Bannan (SO) 6'9
F Laolu Oke (JR) 6'8
F Rhett Reynolds (FR) 6'9
F Jaxon Nap (FR) 6'7
G Dorell Thomas (FR) 6'5
G Lonnell Martin (JR) 6'4
G Josh Vasquez (JR) 6'3
G Brandon Whitney (SO) 6'1
G Isaiah Kerr (FR) 6'1

flatheadgriz406 said:

F Mack Anderson (SR) 6'9
F Josh Bannan (SO) 6'9
F Laolu Oke (JR) 6'8
F Jaxon Nap (FR) 6'7
G Dorell Thomas (FR) 6'5
G Josh Vasquez (JR) 6'3
G Isaiah Kerr (FR) 6'1
Maybe three available if Mack's Covid related extra year doesn't count.

UncleRico said:
Grizfan-24 said:

I hope he can. He just seemed like a great kid that fought through a lot of injuries and always played hard.

I agree. He never was able to shake those injuries. He showed some real flashes during his freshman year, with his shooting, defense and jumping ability, but it seemed like he got hurt and was never able to fully recover. Hope he lands somewhere.

I hope the best for DCH. I know the portal is a pain in the ass, but how is this happening? I think the world of Travis, but if these guys are leaving, then they never reached the expectations that were recruited for. Is this poor recruiting, or are the players just disenfranchised. I’m shocked that Vasquez hasn’t left, after his playing time last year. I like the changes for next year with size, but the chemistry is going to take a while to develop. The chemistry has taken a while to develop the last two or three years, and it’s lead to a lot of erratic play. If this team gels, it’ll be Travis’ best coaching job. Hate the portal. Shit, if Krystkowiak had played during the portal, he would have been gone after one year. This just sucks! That being said, I’m very interested to see how it all plays out.

He’ll only be eligible next year if he gets a waiver granted since he is about a week late on the deadline. I’m unclear if those are still being granted pretty regularly since the one time transfer rule went into effect.

However could be a chance this is being reported late and he put it in time.

flatheadgriz406 said:

F Mack Anderson (SR) 6'9
F Josh Bannan (SO) 6'9
F Laolu Oke (JR) 6'8
F Jaxon Nap (FR) 6'7
G Dorell Thomas (FR) 6'5
G Josh Vasquez (JR) 6'3
G Isaiah Kerr (FR) 6'1

This list seems to be short two players.
Johnathan Braggs from Vegas
John Soloman, Sarasota

Or did they move on also?

MrG said:
flatheadgriz406 said:

F Mack Anderson (SR) 6'9
F Josh Bannan (SO) 6'9
F Laolu Oke (JR) 6'8
F Jaxon Nap (FR) 6'7
G Dorell Thomas (FR) 6'5
G Josh Vasquez (JR) 6'3
G Isaiah Kerr (FR) 6'1

John Soloman, Sarasota

Braggs is in the transfer portal. I believe Solomon was a walk on last season. I'm not sure what his current status is.

GrizWhiz said:
MrG said:
John Soloman, Sarasota

Braggs is in the transfer portal. I believe Solomon was a walk on last season. I'm not sure what his current status is.
Solomon can afford to not have a scholarship. His stepdad still get $1.2 Million a year until 2035 from the Mets:)

So going into 2022, 4 players from 2020 are left. Martin was a transfer last year and didn’t start, I’m not sure about if any bench players are left because I don’t know who they were.

Another element to add to this conversation, unless it has changed, is that coaches still have until July 1st to not renew, or cut, a player's grant. A this point we don't know if a player has been cut or is transferring on their own. We just know that they are in the portal. If a team has a full roster on July 1st, they are done with recruiting for the coming season. Many of the players hitting the portal over the next month and a half will be due to coaches making room for transfers coming in. The portal will continue to grow for a while yet. Maybe not at the same rate, but it will grow and there will be good players looking for a home.

Back