• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gina Marxen article . .

A mesmerising personal story. Good read. The quote below says it all re: Montana and its fans, where the 2,485 per game average is 1,029 more than the next closest Big Sky school.

"It will be fun to be in a place where women's basketball is truly supported." -- Gina Marxen

grizzlyjournal said:
A mesmerising personal story. Good read. The quote below says it all re: Montana and its fans, where the 2,485 per game average is 1,029 more than the next closest Big Sky school.

"It will be fun to be in a place where women's basketball is truly supported." -- Gina Marxen

That 2485 # is BS. I don't doubt the Lady Griz lead the conference in attendance, but I don't believe any "attendance" figure that UM (and most places) tell you. They count tickets given away whether they are used or not AND "make-up" every official attendance given. There's no physical gate that you pass through that counts attendance like in old-time stadiums. Remember those? I don't think many places use those anymore, but at least a gate didn't lie. Public Relations people do.

Zirg said:
grizzlyjournal said:

That 2485 # is BS. I don't doubt the Lady Griz lead the conference in attendance, but I don't believe any "attendance" figure that UM (and most places) tell you. They count tickets given away whether they are used or not AND "make-up" every official attendance given. There's no physical gate that you pass through that counts attendance like in old-time stadiums. Remember those? I don't think many places use those anymore, but at least a gate didn't lie. Public Relations people do.

I disagree, but can't prove anything. ;) I heard from a reliable (unofficial) source last fall, that all ticketed UM sports are now scanner tabulated via barcode scanning of tickets and by smartphone scanning tabulation. Purchased tix that are not game-scanned (season tix not scanned) are not included in game attendance counts. I also know that UM is far ahead of most Big Sky schools in accurate tabulation... and that the Big Sky Conf. is a disaster in accurately providing attendance counts, partly (I've heard) because UM's total paid game ticket sales and actual attendance figures far outpace all other Big Sky schools, and I suppose they conclude, "Who needs to know that?. Faaar outpace all other Big Sky schools. Not even close. Forget it.

grizzlyjournal said:
Zirg said:

I disagree, but can't prove anything. ;) I heard from a reliable (unofficial) source last fall, that all ticketed UM sports are now scanner tabulated via barcode scanning of tickets and by smartphone scanning tabulation. Purchased tix that are not game-scanned (season tix not scanned) are not included in game attendance counts. I also know that UM is far ahead of most Big Sky schools in accurate tabulation... and that the Big Sky Conf. is a disaster in accurately providing attendance counts, partly (I've heard) because UM's total paid game ticket sales and actual attendance figures far outpace all other Big Sky schools, and I suppose they conclude, "Who needs to know that?. Faaar outpace all other Big Sky schools. Not even close. Forget it.

I'm not gonna into a "my source is better than your source" argument but I stand by my position, and I do agree that UM is not the worst offender in the conference in this regard.

Back