• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz

717s7e

Lady Griz hoop club is invited to a team workout followed by a barbeque with the team and coaches Monday, July 18. I am excited to be going because I think the Holsinger version of the Lady Griz will be monumental - in my opinion, the biggest thing to happen to Griz Sports since Don Read and Jud Heathcote arrived. Consider going online and joining the Lady Griz Hoop Club. They deserve our support.

Monday is the Lady Griz "scrimmage" and barbeque. Unique opportunity to chat with the new players. Call Julie Tonkin, 406.243.5334 - love to see you there!

Is there anyone that attended the event that would be able to share their thoughts on some of the newcomers for those interested?

Not sure how easy it was to tell from the “scrimmage,” but I’d be interested to hear what some of you thought.

OregonStateFan said:
Is there anyone that attended the event that would be able to share their thoughts on some of the newcomers for those interested?

Not sure how easy it was to tell from the “scrimmage,” but I’d be interested to hear what some of you thought.

Yo, Oregon State fan. Thanks for all you input on this board. Eagerly anticipated always and much appreciated.

But for a moment, could we widen the scope of your expertise? It seems to me the Pacific 12 as currently constituted is in a lot of trouble, its survival in doubt. I'm hoping the conference can keep it together but I don't see any alternative except for the bigger schools to flee to bigger conferences, while the smaller-market teams like Oregon State and Washington State are looking for a new conference. Remember, Montana and Idaho were once part of the Pacific Coast Conference and look what happened to them.

What do you see in your crystal ball?

citay said:
OregonStateFan said:

Yo, Oregon State fan. Thanks for all you input on this board. Eagerly anticipated always and much appreciated.

But for a moment, could we widen the scope of your expertise? It seems to me the Pacific 12 as currently constituted is in a lot of trouble, its survival in doubt. I'm hoping the conference can keep it together but I don't see any alternative except for the bigger schools to flee to bigger conferences, while the smaller-market teams like Oregon State and Washington State are looking for a new conference. Remember, Montana and Idaho were once part of the Pacific Coast Conference and look what happened to them.

What do you see in your crystal ball?
The only way OSU will remain in a solid place is if the remaining Pac-12 schools (or now Pac-10), namely Oregon and Washington, stay together. I personally wouldn’t mind adding SDSU and one other MWC school.

Should the Pac-12 fall apart, I assume OSU will be headed to the MWC. I too hope the Pac-12 can keep it together because there’s really no other alternative for Oregon State.

It was an interesting session. Coach had them run a lot of intricate dribbling drills followed by fun competitive shooting drills. Everyone seems to be bonding and enjoying the experience. As for the new players, I can't single out anyone because they all look very athletic. There was only a limited scrimmage drill - maybe 10 minutes of 5 on 4. The new kids are all talented and none of them look like freshmen. I used to go to early practices to see if any of the freshmen looked like upper classmen - now they all do.

I was assuming that Draya Wacker coming from Class C Melstone would be behind the others - not the case. She is an excellent dribbler and shooter. I came away with a smile on my face thinking that we have a superb coach who is loved and respected by the players and players who are a level above what we are used to seeing. It should be a fun year. There was no news on an assistant to replace Jordan Sullivan. I am excited! Think about joining the Lady Griz Hoop Club. The chalk talks in the Sky Box prior to each game are great.

717s7e said:
It was an interesting session. Coach had them run a lot of intricate dribbling drills followed by fun competitive shooting drills. Everyone seems to be bonding and enjoying the experience. As for the new players, I can't single out anyone because they all look very athletic. There was only a limited scrimmage drill - maybe 10 minutes of 5 on 4. The new kids are all talented and none of them look like freshmen. I used to go to early practices to see if any of the freshmen looked like upper classmen - now they all do.

I was assuming that Draya Wacker coming from Class C Melstone would be behind the others - not the case. She is an excellent dribbler and shooter. I came away with a smile on my face thinking that we have a superb coach who is loved and respected by the players and players who are a level above what we are used to seeing. It should be a fun year. There was no news on an assistant to replace Jordan Sullivan. I am excited! Think about joining the Lady Griz Hoop Club. The chalk talks in the Sky Box prior to each game are great.

Thank you 717s7e! I appreciate your report very much. I am an avid Lady Griz fan but unfortunately live out of town so don't get to see them very often anymore. Any information is appreciated.

717s7e said:

That's a very encouraging report! There's a lot to look forward to - thank you for sharing that!

GrizBaba said:
717s7e said:

That's a very encouraging report! There's a lot to look forward to - thank you for sharing that!
+1 :thumb:

Plus, at the Hoop Club event Monday, after "practice," we walked up to the box above the football stadium for lunch. The team members were well coached about not all sitting at one table. They each spread out and made sure that there was at least one team member at each table of Hoop Club members. They players were self-assured, well spoken, and engaging.

717s7e said:

Awesome update! Melstone really has had some pretty exceptional basketball players over the years for a school that might have 20 kids.

You will want to memorize "1,2,3"

1 is Libby Stump, 5'8" guard from Washington
2 is Mack Konig, 5'9" guard from Ontario, Canada
3 is Draya Wacker 5'8" guard from Class C Melstone, MT.

They will be fun to watch. It is easy to pick Draya out of the crew because she is the blonde. Libby and Mack are somewhat "look-alikes" who have similar physiques and are brown haired.

Then the new "bigs" are Keeli Burton-Oliver (transfer from Washington State and Arizona State with 4 years eligibility) from Washington (6-2) and Alex Pirog (a true freshman) from Colorado.

The other addition is someone who's play we will instantly admire - Gina Marxen, the Idaho transfer who dropped out of hoops last year and finally decided to give it another go. She was conference Freshman of the year and 1st and 2nd team All Conference her first two years. She has 2 years of eligibility left.

Haley Huard is reportedly quarantined with mono and Carmen Gfeller is nursing a foot problem that has bugged her since grade school days. She is using the scooter to rest her foot.

By the way, Lisa Kiefer (6'4") from Germany had virtually no coaching prior to coming here and should be much improved. And Willa Albrecht (6'0" forward) from Billings seems to be healed up and looking like she certainly belongs.

I am anxious to hear from Grizjournal who will get to practices much more than I. I am (obviously) so excited for this new program. These are quality people.

717s7e said:
You will want to memorize "1,2,3"

1 is Libby Stump, 5'8" guard from Washington
2 is Mack Konig, 5'9" guard from Ontario, Canada
3 is Draya Wacker 5'8" guard from Class C Melstone, MT.

They will be fun to watch. It is easy to pick Draya out of the crew because she is the blonde. Libby and Mack are somewhat "look-alikes" who have similar physiques and are brown haired.

Then the new "bigs" are Keeli Burton-Oliver (transfer from Washington State and Arizona State with 4 years eligibility) from Washington (6-2) and Alex Pirog (a true freshman) from Colorado.

The other addition is someone who's play we will instantly admire - Gina Marxen, the Idaho transfer who dropped out of hoops last year and finally decided to give it another go. She was conference Freshman of the year and 1st and 2nd team All Conference her first two years. She has 2 years of eligibility left.

Haley Huard is reportedly quarantined with mono and Carmen Gfeller is nursing a foot problem that has bugged her since grade school days. She is using the scooter to rest her foot.

By the way, Lisa Kiefer (6'4") from Germany had virtually no coaching prior to coming here and should be much improved. And Willa Albrecht (6'0" forward) from Billings seems to be healed up and looking like she certainly belongs.

I am anxious to hear from Grizjournal who will get to practices much more than I. I am (obviously) so excited for this new program. These are quality people.

I hope all of your expectations are exceeded!

The 2022-23 Lady Griz Schedule is now on line for the non-conference schedule:

Games have been arranged with a home-and-away with Gonzaga. Games also scheduled with a road trip through Iowa with Iowa state ('cause a Lexi Donarski plays for Iowa State); Arizona State and Washington State 'cause of Keeli Burton's previous experiences with those schools. Also a road trip to Florida Gulf Coast to see how Stiles is doing. Plus games with Colorado and Colorado State since we seem to be recruiting quite well there lately.

The eight teams invited to the eight-team Christmas Classic (three games guaranteed per team over a three day period - should help out the local economy) includes Creighton, South Dakota and South Dakota State and other Top 25 Ranked Teams like Michigan and Indiana as such.... Sorry, we seem to have to play at Duke and Connecticut this year instead of a home-and-away.

Wait...wait... wait...oh, sorry there, ah, I guess I was but just dreaming there. Damn. I guess that's what happens when perceiving an uptick to the industry. Sorry again. Maybe next year, huh?

Of course, schedules like that should have been like twenty years ago. Oh well.

WyomingGrizFan said:
The 2022-23 Lady Griz Schedule is now on line for the non-conference schedule:

Games have been arranged with a home-and-away with Gonzaga. Games also scheduled with a road trip through Iowa with Iowa state ('cause a Lexi Donarski plays for Iowa State); Arizona State and Washington State 'cause of Keeli Burton's previous experiences with those schools. Also a road trip to Florida Gulf Coast to see how Stiles is doing. Plus games with Colorado and Colorado State since we seem to be recruiting quite well there lately.

The eight teams invited to the eight-team Christmas Classic (three games guaranteed per team over a three day period - should help out the local economy) includes Creighton, South Dakota and South Dakota State and other Top 25 Tanked Teams like Michigan and Indiana as such.... Sorry, we seem to have to play at Duke and Connecticut this year instead of a home-and-away.

Wait...wait... wait...oh, sorry there, ah, I guess I was but just dreaming there. Damn. I guess that's what happens when perceiving an uptick to the industry. Sorry again. Maybe next year, huh?

Of course, schedules like that should have been like twenty years ago. Oh well.
You had me going there - not sure we'd get beat down entirely with that schedule, but it would be a possibility. Also, they might get worn out before the conference games started. Give them a couple more years of development :)

Which begs the question. When was the last time the LG have had four 4-star prospects on the roster in the same season?

https://prospectsnation.com/player/libby-stump (Elite 150)

https://prospectsnation.com/player/mackendra-konig (Elite 150)

https://prospectsnation.com/player/gina-marxen (Elite 150)

https://prospectsnation.com/player/keeli-burton (#90)

...along with that, also a 3 1/2 prospect with:

https://prospectsnation.com/player/samantha-fatkin

Per the Washington State WBB schedule, the Lady Griz are playing in Pullman on December 2.

Cougs have a solid team and are well coached, so it’ll be interesting to see how the Lady Griz match up.

Back