• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Chase Henderson commits 2023

Looks like he could be a pretty good recruit.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/high-school/2022/02/16/iowa-high-school-basketball-des-moines-hoover-chase-henderson-recruiting-offers-2023-south-dakota/6770371001/

He's currently a 2 star player on verbalcommits.com. He's a terrific scorer. Sounds like he gets to the ft line a lot. Really haven't a lot him. I'm thinking, he'll get to a 3 star ranking soon. Solid get, with a lot of room for growth. Coaches kid too.

mtgrizrule said:
He's currently a 2 star player on verbalcommits.com. He's a terrific scorer. Sounds like he gets to the ft line a lot. Really haven't a lot him. I'm thinking, he'll get to a 3 star ranking soon. Solid get, with a lot of room for growth. Coaches kid too.

I like his quickness and shooting ability. And that he's a coach's son. Recruiting is always iffy. But this looks like a good pick up.

How spoiled were we to get Michael Oguine as DeCuire's very first recruit? Followed by Ahmaad Rorie.

Assuming that everyone with eligibility remaining comes back after this season (odds are pretty close to zero), the 23-24 roster is set as I count 13 scholarships.

citay said:
mtgrizrule said:

I like his quickness and shooting ability. And that he's a coach's son. Recruiting is always iffy. But this looks like a good pick up.

How spoiled were we to get Michael Oguine as DeCuire's very first recruit? Followed by Ahmaad Rorie.

I don't know if you are aware of this but Rorie was pretty much a lock for Cal until DeCuire didn't get the head coach job there even though Montgomery was pushing for him to be hired....DeCuire is Rorie's godfather so it isn't much of a mystery as to why he became a Griz when DC was hired....Oguine, (I saw him in the HS finals at Arco Arena) was pretty skinny as a HS player but very skilled so that is the reason he fell through the cracks of the P5 schools....He was a very good get for DC....

GrizBall said:
Assuming that everyone with eligibility remaining comes back after this season (odds are pretty close to zero), the 23-24 roster is set as I count 13 scholarships.

You DID preface your comment, but I had to laugh about talking about the 2023-24' roster. Who the F knows who will want to transfer after the year. Count on 3 or 4 transfers every year for every D1 program. To speculate years ahead is a laughable idea anymore, unfortunately.

Zirg said:
GrizBall said:

You DID preface your comment, but I had to laugh about talking about the 2023-24' roster. Who the F knows who will want to transfer after the year. Count on 3 or 4 transfers every year for every D1 program. To speculate years ahead is a laughable idea anymore, unfortunately.

Agreed. It’s crazy. But I am fascinated by the portal strategy. For example, if a 6’10 2023 who is waiting on a pac-12 offer that never comes decides he now wants to go to Montana, do you over-sign in November just knowing the odds are about 100% that you are losing at least one kid with eligibility? Do you sign him regardless knowing you could run a kid off if necessary? Do you not sign him and see who leaves and then replenish with the portal?

It seems like football over-signs all the time. Do you think this is a strategy we will soon see in basketball? Are there rules against this? I always thought the only rule is that in D-1 you can only have 85 in football and 13 in basketball on the roster. Grey-shirting is something available to football, but I don’t think there is an equivalent of that in basketball.

In addition, according to Verbal Commits, Montana has 4 incoming freshman (2022) and 2 2023 commits already. This total of 6 is the most in the Big Sky to date. Is this a wise strategy? Could you wait until spring and get the same or better value through the portal or other 2023’s compared to the 2023’s you just took commitments from?

Crazy times for coaching staffs.

TWITTER:

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1553939675479322624

LINK:

https://skylinesportsmt.com/griz-basketball-grabs-commitment-from-2023-guard-chase-henderson/

Back