• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Summer BSC talk

GrizBall

Something to break up the summer BSC silence.

https://twitter.com/mid_madness/status/1557808089461669888?s=21&t=erdSgxHfyxvhShA1bb8CaQ

I am not buying Weber at #2, but for the most part this is pretty good.

https://staringatthefloorboards.wordpress.com/2022/08/21/big-sky-2022-23-season-preview/

I thought the preview lost a little credibility when they pronounced Travis’ last name “De-Kwire.”

:lol:

Top 10 Big Sky players (https://barttorvik.com/conf.php?conf=BSky)

1. Kountz (UNC)
2. Acliese (EWU)
3. Johnson (UNC)
4. Belo (MSU)
5. D. Thomas (UM)
6(T) Jones (WSU)
6(T) Cone (NAU)
6(T)Venters (EWU)
9. Bannan (UM)
10 (T) Battle (MSU)
10 (T) Parker (PSU)

GrizBall said:

https://staringatthefloorboards.wordpress.com/2022/08/21/big-sky-2022-23-season-preview/

Until proven otherwise, Weber deserves the respect. I didn't know Rahe was gone. His contract was thru 2023-24'. I loved to hate that little prick. He got more calls than any other visiting coach in Dahlberg that I can recall. Annoying? Yes. Effective? Yes. Too many coaches (Sprinkle and Tinkle included) whine on every single possession so refs ignore them. Rahe knew when to bitch and refs would listen and usually give Weber the next border-line call.

Zirg said:
GrizBall said:

Until proven otherwise, Weber deserves the respect. I didn't know Rahe was gone. His contract was thru 2023-24'. I loved to hate that little prick. He got more calls than any other visiting coach in Dahlberg that I can recall. Annoying? Yes. Effective? Yes. Too many coaches (Sprinkle and Tinkle included) whine on every single possession so refs ignore them. Rahe knew when to bitch and refs would listen and usually give Weber the next border-line call.
Randy seldom said anything to the refs. His wife was a long time official and he woud catch hell if he did. When he did talk to them, he would usually just ask what they saw. Same for WSU players, they could ask, but not complain about a call, or they would come out of the game. Sometimes I felt like it hurt us that he wouldn't get on the refs. It remains to be seen, but I think things won't change much under Coach Duft.

As far as how Weber might do this year, I think it is a complete unkown. The most stable lineups are at MSU and EWU. Everyone else has a lot of questions to answer.

GrizBall said:

1. Kountz (UNC)
2. Acliese (EWU)
3. Johnson (UNC)
4. Belo (MSU)
5. D. Thomas (UM)
6(T) Jones (WSU)
6(T) Cone (NAU)
6(T)Venters (EWU)
9. Bannan (UM)
10 (T) Battle (MSU)
10 (T) Parker (PSU)

Are these your own picks? When I go to the site, this is the list I see....

1 Sr 6-4 Daylen Kountz Northern Colorado
2 Sr 6-6 Linton Acliese III Eastern Washington
3 Sr 6-9 Hunter Marks Sacramento St.
4 Sr 6-2 Matt Johnson II Northern Colorado
5 So 6-6 Dillon Jones Weber St.
6 So 6-7 Steele Venters Eastern Washington
7 Jr 6-9 Josh Bannan Montana
8 Jr 5-11 Jalen Cone Northern Arizona
9 Sr 6-9 Jubrile Belo Montana St.
10 Jr 6-11 Jason Spurgin Southern Utah
11 Sr 7-1 Callum McRae Sacramento St.

I added number 11 since the site had a SSU player ranked at number 10.....???? This is quite different than what you posted....

sacstateman said:
GrizBall said:

1. Kountz (UNC)
2. Acliese (EWU)
3. Johnson (UNC)
4. Belo (MSU)
5. D. Thomas (UM)
6(T) Jones (WSU)
6(T) Cone (NAU)
6(T)Venters (EWU)
9. Bannan (UM)
10 (T) Battle (MSU)
10 (T) Parker (PSU)

I added number 11 since the site had a SSU player ranked at number 10.....???? This is quite different than what you posted....

I did my list by hand. If you look at each team’s page there is a list at the top that says Top 10 contributors. I then took those scores for each team and player and compiled the list. That is the player’s projection for the upcoming year.

The stats at the bottom of the Big Sky page are last year’s numbers for returning players (where I believe your list came from and is based on last year’s numbers). Which is also why (I assume) a SUU guy is listed.

MSU’s Raequan Battle had like a 1.8 last year, but because his role and minutes are projected to increase he is now projected to be a top 10 player in the conference which makes sense to me as I felt he was pretty close at the end of last year.

Hunter Marks (for example) had a 3.6 last year at Hartford. He is projected lower this year. My guess it is because Sac.St is a projected to be better team than Hartford was and the Big Sky is slightly better than the America East was last year so his role and numbers are projected to drop.

Just got my Blue Ribbon yearbook which I think is the best college mag. All the ones you buy in the store are garbage in covering the Big Sky (and other non-P6 conferences). I also am looking forward to Jeff Goodman’s Almanac coming out soon. They put out tons of words on the conference.

1. MSU
2. Montana
3. UNC
4. WSU
5. EWU
6. Sac
7. ISU
8. NAU
9. PSU
10. UI

All-Conference
Kountz
Jones
Belo
Venters
Cone

POY - Kountz
Newcomer of the year - Callum McRae - Sac

Top Frontcourts:
1. MSU
2. Mont
3. Sac

Top Backcourts:
1. UNC
2. EWU
3. NAU

GrizBall said:
sacstateman said:

I did my list by hand. If you look at each team’s page there is a list at the top that says Top 10 contributors. I then took those scores for each team and player and compiled the list. That is the player’s projection for the upcoming year.

The stats at the bottom of the Big Sky page are last year’s numbers for returning players (where I believe your list came from and is based on last year’s numbers). Which is also why (I assume) a SUU guy is listed.

MSU’s Raequan Battle had like a 1.8 last year, but because his role and minutes are projected to increase he is now projected to be a top 10 player in the conference which makes sense to me as I felt he was pretty close at the end of last year.

Hunter Marks (for example) had a 3.6 last year at Hartford. He is projected lower this year. My guess it is because Sac.St is a projected to be better team than Hartford was and the Big Sky is slightly better than the America East was last year so his role and numbers are projected to drop.

Ok....I can buy that explanation.....Just couldn't figure it out since all you said was
"Top 10 Big Sky players (https://barttorvik.com/conf.php?conf=BSky)"

oldrunner said:
Zirg said:
Randy seldom said anything to the refs. His wife was a long time official and he woud catch hell if he did. When he did talk to them, he would usually just ask what they saw. Same for WSU players, they could ask, but not complain about a call, or they would come out of the game. Sometimes I felt like it hurt us that he wouldn't get on the refs. It remains to be seen, but I think things won't change much under Coach Duft.

As far as how Weber might do this year, I think it is a complete unkown. The most stable lineups are at MSU and EWU. Everyone else has a lot of questions to answer.

That's great insight and makes sense. It amazes me how some coaches really have no idea how to work the refs effectively. DeCuire has definately improved in this regard in the last cpl years. Tinkle was the worst,IMO. He bitched on every single possession. No ref respects that. I don't know if he's learned in the last cpl years.

And, admittedly, I have no idea how Weber will be this year, but ,again, they deserve the respect until proven otherwise.

https://twitter.com/matthewwinick/status/1570883205284364288?s=11&t=hW8dQ7hCf3DK-FQCIR0UHA

Predicted Montana starters: Whitney/Vasquez/Martin/D. Thomas/Bannan - this makes sense to me. I have been hearing Thomas is better than advertised and the rest of the newcomers may not yet be ready to contribute at a high level (what happened to the time honored summer tradition on eGriz of someone's uncle's cousin who is close to the program telling them how great everyone has looked in the off-season? I missed that this year).

I felt most of this seemed pretty accurate. I don't believe UNC is a 3rd tier team in the BSC though.

POY: Jubrile Belo
DPOY: Jubrile Belo
NOY: Darius Brown - MSU
FOY: Handje Tamba - WSU
COY: David Riley

1ST-TEAM:
Darius Brown
Daylen Kountz
Steele Venters
Dillon Jones
Jubrile Belo

2ND-TEAM: