• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz BB Attendance

RoseyMustGo

Interesting comparison of the home attendance from the years 1974-85, and now.

Average attendance 1974-85................................ 5,958

Average attendance 1917-2022.............................3,214

And, in the years 1974-85, Missoula had approximately half the population it does now.

RoseyMustGo said:
Interesting comparison of the home attendance from the years 1974-85, and now.

Average attendance 1974-85................................ 5,958

Average attendance 1917-2022.............................3,214

And, in the years 1974-85, Missoula had approximately half the population it does now.

The Griz football didn't draw much in 74-85. Basketball was the show. I was there in the 80s. Two of those years in 2017-22 Griz were Big Sky Champs and had NCAA berths. In 74-85 1 NCAA berth. Monte never made it BTW. I go to most Griz hoops games today and the student section outside of Cats, Weber and EWU is pretty non existent. That is biggest issue in attendance. It is frustrating to see.

I attend as often as I can. However, finances are tight for many. Affording football and basketball is difficult for many here. Most choose football.

I've asked many, why they don't attend Griz basketball consistently? The most common answer, they're not entertaining enough or struggle too much offensively.

Too many want guards like Rorie and Oguine.
To me, the only guard with that potential upside is Brown, maybe Whitney.

Brown, is a work in progress. Whitney needs to learn to a high arching perimeter shot. He very seldom has good trajectory on his shots. That hinders his upside potential as is.

Just my 2 cents

mtgrizrule said:
I attend as often as I can. However, finances are tight for many. Affording football and basketball is difficult for many here. Most choose football.

I've asked many, why they don't attend Griz basketball consistently? The most common answer, they're not entertaining enough or struggle too much offensively.

Too many want guards like Rorie and Oguine.
To me, the only guard with that potential upside is Brown, maybe Whitney.

Brown, is a work in progress. Whitney needs to learn to a high arching perimeter shot. He very seldom has good trajectory on his shots. That hinders his upside potential as is.

Just my 2 cents
UM simply doesn't look like a Div 1 team should look after 5 games. Who wants to see the same griz type game that was played 7 years ago and everry year thereafter?

The student section is PATHETIC! Tickets aren’t that much. My season tickets are just north of $150. It’s also tough to go to games when you’ve never really heard of the other team coming in

Big Sage said:
The student section is PATHETIC! Tickets aren’t that much. My season tickets are just north of $150. It’s also tough to go to games when you’ve never really heard of the other team coming in

Students are on break now.

mtgrizrule said:
Big Sage said:

There’s more than 7 students left in town

I agree with the poster who stated that many of his friends don't attend because of the boring style of play that DeCuire employs. But just like Hauck in football, anybody criticizing DeCuire is a nut job.

I love my Griz, but it pains me to see the Bobcat BB team with an energetic, dynamic young coach, who obviously is a great recruiter, while we seem to be stuck in the same boring rut every season. New season, same looking team. No bigs inside game, poor shooting players, boring offense with little movement.

RoseyMustGo said:
I agree with the poster who stated that many of his friends don't attend because of the boring style of play that DeCuire employs. But just like Hauck in football, anybody criticizing DeCuire is a nut job.

I love my Griz, but it pains me to see the Bobcat BB team with an energetic, dynamic young coach, who obviously is a great recruiter, while we seem to be stuck in the same boring rut every season. New season, same looking team. No bigs inside game, poor shooting players, boring offense with little movement.

For what UM pays their coaches, we are fortunate to have what we do. I wish DeCuire was more aggressive but not on the sidelines the way he is. I want the players to have that kind of spark but UM doesn't seem to coach that. It's not that they don't play a high level ball, it is that they don't even seem to be in the game, even when they lead. Hard to describe but this is not a desirable way to spend time watching and so far, few do.

Big Sage said:
mtgrizrule said:

There’s more than 7 students left in town

Exactly.. including the football team,right? If every football player attended (like they use to), then more students would follow.

GrizLA said:
RoseyMustGo said:

For what UM pays their coaches, we are fortunate to have what we do. I wish DeCuire was more aggressive but not on the sidelines the way he is. I want the players to have that kind of spark but UM doesn't seem to coach that. It's not that they don't play a high level ball, it is that they don't even seem to be in the game, even when they lead. Hard to describe but this is not a desirable way to spend time watching and so far, few do.

I don't see any rational relationship about the coaching prowess of our BB coach, and the pay he receives.

I used to go to MBB games when we lived in Missoula. They were fun, not because they were won, A LOT, they did until the last four or so years. We went because the games were fun, the talent was really good.

Now there is no talent and TDs version of ball boooooring.

SinCityGriz2005 said:
I used to go to MBB games when we lived in Missoula. They were fun, not because they were won, A LOT, they did until the last four or so years. We went because the games were fun, the talent was really good.

I get it. You're not a die-hard basketball fan. You'll be back when they have an exciting Conference-defining game, like the other 90% of casual Griz B-ball fans. Bannon is a world of talent, but you can't appreciate that. Don't go away mad....

Zirg said:
SinCityGriz2005 said:

I get it. You're not a die-hard basketball fan. You'll be back when they have an exciting Conference-defining game, like the other 90% of casual Griz B-ball fans. Bannon is a world of talent, but you can't appreciate that. Don't go away mad....

No I won’t. I go to Kentucky games since I live an hour away from Lexington now. I have no allegiance the Griz Mens hoops.

All the above reasons contribute to the sliding attendance. One additional reason is the game availability to stream. I know some long-time fans who have decided streaming is a lot more attractive than dealing with the winter weather, slick roads, and parking issues.

Big Sage said:

Not knowing the other teams is your fault

Latest posts

Back