• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana WBB vs Cal

grizzlyjournal

Frustrating that LMU has the facilities and the ability to stream all games in its tourney, but chose not to. I DID watch the stream of Cal's 19 pt win over LMU to try to get an idea of how Montana might match up vs Cal. I would not call them an upper tier Pac 12 team, but that's a bit of a guess on my part. Cal beat Idaho by 14 earlier this season and completely dominated LMU in the paint, especially from the duo of 6-2 POST Evelien Schipholt, and power forward Kemery Martin. Point guard Jayda Martin has good range & drives the lane well. Cal didn't shoot many perimeter shots, but didn't have to because of their interior game.

Frankly, I'd say Montana will be challenged, but has the ability to play with Cal. Keys: Interior defense and better shooting % from the perimeter. Here's hoping Sammy Fatkin breaks out of her shooting slump. Go GrizWBB.

Power outage in LA has delayed the game. Tipoff now at 5 p.m. Carmen Gfeller will NOT play as part of a plan to gradually get her game ready.

I assume there is no stream for tonight’s game?

Listening on radio. Lady Griz announcer is far better than Riley C.

They must have had a case of nerves. Possibly putting too much pressure on themselves playing a P-5 team thinking they needed to "try" super hard. Overall, I think they didn't do all that bad against Cal (a team that's 5 - 1 that competed well against #9 ND).

Good competition, they hung in there pretty well, and they get a good object lesson. Move on to the next taking your new experience with you!

grizzlyjournal said:
Nope. GrizWBB shoot 23% from the field for the game. Ugh.

Ugh is right! Not that I could see the game, but Cal probably had a good defense. The 3-point % at 26.3% was higher than their total shooting %, but still!

Hope they don't get too discouraged because you can see a good potential.

Haven’t seen a ton of Lady Griz games this year, but the offense has been dreadful.

There’s clearly talent on this roster but the inability to put the ball in the bucket has doomed them.

Hopefully the shots start to fall by the time conference play comes around because the Lady Griz certainly have the talent to compete with anyone in the conference.

With WSU, GCU, Sdak, and Gonzaga the remaining D1 teams on the non-conference, it seems possible the Lady Griz may go 0-4 against those teams.

"The Lady Griz missed 10 of their first 11 shots and it set a tone."

"Montana then missed its first 10 shots of the second half and Cal took a 23-point lead into the fourth quarter."

Missoulian.

The only games from the LMU Tourney that were streamed were of LMU vs Cal and Wichita State. I watched both, so I'm sort of drawing conclusions about Montana's play by observing Cal and Wichita State vs. LMU.
--- Both Cal and Wichita State had significant size advantage over LMU, -- which lost to Cal by 19 and Wichita State by 12 in a game that wasn't close after halftime. Both Cal & WS employed dominating interior defense; LMU didn't have a chance in the key. vs either team. Though I have a hunch that Cal is not in the upper tier of the Pac 12., Montana's very young front court was probably no match (Keeli Burton Oliver fouled out in I think 11-51 minutes of playing time).
-- Simply put: a D1 team can't beat many teams shooting around 30 percent from the field, but...
-- Montana missed a chance at a legitimate upset in its overtime loss to the Shockers, I belive.
-- What I am concluding, looking at box scores, is that frosh guard Libby Stump flashed signs of her offensive ability, scoring in double figures both games and that Dani Bartsch played well on D, but didn't score much. Until Carmen is healthy enough to play regularly, this team will probably struggle on the interior both offensively and defensively.

BigSkyBreakdown said:
Why did coach Holsinger not participate in the post game interview? No post game quotes from gogriz.com or Speltz article?
I listened to the entire game. The radio announcer lclearly expected coach H. to appear for a post-game interview and kept the broadcast "on air" for several minutes, to no avail, before terminating the broadcast.

Back