• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana at Air Force

grizzlyjournal

Montana tips off vs Air Force at 1:05 today.
Livestream is available at Mountain West Conference streaming site or Altitude TV on cable.

Griz down by one, 24-23 at half. Montana's D has forced AF into several shot-clock turnovers, but Griz offense relying entirely on Whitney. Maratin and Johnson have had open looks in the key. Thomas has been called for two-shoulder charges that looked to me like basic post-ups. Air Force is definitely limiting Montana's perimeter looks, but Martin is 0-3. Griz need Moody.

Imagine this, Griz struggling with offense.

We really need more offensive emphasis. Every year, the offense is inconsistent.

Griz down by 9 midway through the second... but it seems more like 20. Montana 0-8 from beyond the arc. Open shots. Bricks.

We go from 12:59 left in the second half to 8:16 without scoring a point. That’s almost five minutes. This happens again and again and again, and this staff does nothing to address this issue that I can see. This at the very same time that I’m watching the Warriors put on an offensive clinic against the TWolves, deftly passing to offset two of the best bigs on the NBA, Townes and Gobert. Travis! Please! Get a tape of this game!

Griz got within one with 17 seconds remaining, eventually losing 59-56.
Despite the loss, some good things to glean:
-- Whitney is back and at full strength and it's important how much the Griz need him.
-- Just as important, a healthy return of Moody seems crucial for Montana's perimeter game, with Montana's miserable 1-for-11 outing on mostly very open looks.
-- Lastly and perhaps most importantly (picking up on a previous heads-up from mtgrizrule) some high hopes for jr. guard Johnathan Brown who played an outstanding second half for the Griz. His prospects are very bright. He needs to work on his D, but he really seemed to find his role and offensive game today, scoring 10 points and adding quickness to the lineup.

grizzlyjournal said:
Griz got within one with 17 seconds remaining, eventually losing 59-56.
Despite the loss, some good things to glean:
-- Whitney is back and at full strength and it's important how much the Griz need him.
-- Just as important, a healthy return of Moody seems crucial for Montana's perimeter game, with Montana's miserable 1-for-11 outing on mostly very open looks.
-- Lastly and perhaps most importantly (picking up on a previous heads-up from mtgrizrule) some high hopes for jr. guard Johnathan Brown who played an outstanding second half for the Griz. His prospects are very bright. He needs to work on his D, but he really seemed to find his role and offensive game today, scoring 10 points and adding quickness to the lineup.

Defensively he's more than capable. He's hard to get away from. He gets out of position now and then. I really like him.

I’m frustrated, very, very frustrated, i can only imagine how frustrating it must be for Travis, the assistant coaches and especially the team members.
There are many arrows to sling but where to begin? Does Travis recruit the types of players to fit his system or is he trying to mold players to fit his system? Whatever it is it’s not working. Has todays brand of bb pasted him by? I think I brought that up in a previous post after a disappointing outcome.
Outside of the Aussie I find it difficult to think any other of our players are Division I caliber. We were an embarrassment today against Air Force which did not have a player over 6’4”. Sure we out rebounded them but then we were 1 for 11 from 3 point. I’m not ready quite yet to give up on Travis but I feel he needs a whole new philosophy and all new staff. We play soft and that’s a direct reflection of the coach and his staff.
I wish I could see a light at the end of the tunnel but I can’t at this point yet.

I’m frustrated, very, very frustrated, i can only imagine how frustrating it must be for Travis, the assistant coaches and especially the team members.
There are many arrows to sling but where to begin? Does Travis recruit the types of players to fit his system or is he trying to mold players to fit his system? Whatever it is it’s not working. Has todays brand of bb pasted him by? I think I brought that up in a previous post after a disappointing outcome.
Outside of the Aussie I find it difficult to think any other of our players are Division I caliber. We were an embarrassment today against Air Force which did not have a player over 6’4”. Sure we out rebounded them but then we were 1 for 11 from 3 point. I’m not ready quite yet to give up on Travis but I feel he needs a whole new philosophy and all new staff. We play soft and that’s a direct reflection of the coach and his staff.
I wish I could see a light at the end of the tunnel but I can’t at this point yet.

Sport may have double-posted but it’s a message worth repeating. This team needs an offensive coordinator.

Tbh, it sucks that we lost this game, but in the end it doesn’t really matter. The Big Sky is having an all time terrible non-conference. The BSC is staring down the barrel of a 16 seed unless they get their shit together. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this embarrassing of a non-conference by the Big Sky ever! The only bright spot is that PSU has now beat OSU twice, but that doesn’t really say much. UNC who’s supposed to contend for the title got beat at home by a D2 school last week, the cats just went 0-3 at their MTE in Montreal that included a 20 point loss to Quinnipiac of the MAAC who’s gotta have one of the worst athletic departments in the country, Eastern is now 2-5 with a really embarrassing loss to FIU today, Weber is 2-4 and has looked awful. Every team has a losing record up to this point.

Point being, the conference sucks and despite the Griz starting 3-4 and not looking good at times, I think we have a very good shot to win the conference. Forget about non-conf and just make sure these guys are ready to go for conference play.

Well it was a couple of games ago but I did see Griz fast break once. Maybe we could get back to the days of old and maybe try that a hell of a lot more often! My 2 cents!

Back