• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

WBB vs. Washington State

OregonStateFan

Solid start for the Lady Griz offensively — not great defensively.

Burton-Oliver is going to be really good. Great to have Gfeller back.

A solid first half. Zone defense wasn’t great and ball control wasn’t great (particularly after securing defensive rebounds), but the ability of Gfeller and Burton-Oliver to stretch the floor has keep the Griz in striking distance.

Great to have Carmen Gfeller back at nearly full strength. She leads the GrizWBB with 14 first-half points as Montana trails the Cougars 40-37 at half.

Mack Konig showing signs of becoming a top-rank point guard. Still making some frosh mistakes, but she's got a very quick first-step on her drives to the bucket.

Gina Marxen running the Griz O very well, but her shots have been consistently short. Cougs aren't letting Huard even get a touch at baseline corner. Cougs also have Sammy boxed up as well.

Zone defense has been horrible.

Leger-Walker has been the lone Coug consistently hitting threes and she was wide open the past two possessions.

Montana played a great game overall. They need some work on their zone. They need more assertive leadership from Sammy and Gina. But with the mix of so many very young players, it's simply going to take another month. But I saw the makings of a very good Montana GrizWBB team trading blows (oftentimes literally) with a very good Cougs team.

23 turnovers seem a bit steep, but WSU had 15. Gfeller really brought up our 3-pt% (64.3% for the team!) - that is really good news. WSU is 7 - 1 and will be a tough team for anyone to handle.

I haven't seen the game yet but will try to watch soon.

grizzlyjournal said:
Montana played a great game overall. They need some work on their zone. They need more assertive leadership from Sammy and Gina. But with the mix of so many very young players, it's simply going to take another month. But I saw the makings of a very good Montana GrizWBB team trading blows (oftentimes literally) with a very good Cougs team.
Agree with this post.

Since Etheridge came over from UNC, Washington State has started to play a very physical, in your face brand of basketball. I thought they got away with a good bit of body tonight, but they play extremely hard and tough. Their physicality has given OSU a lot of trouble and I believe we’ve lost our last three against them.

Definitely need more production out of Marxen and Fatkin. I think the physicality bothered Marxen a little bit when she was initiating the offense. Konig and Stump continue to improve.

grizzlyjournal said:

How can a 20 point loss with 23 TO and minus 9 rebounds, with the best player back and playing well, be a “great game overall”? I didn’t see game. I am in Bremen Germany.

mthoopsfan said:
grizzlyjournal said:

How can a 20 point loss with 23 TO and minus 9 rebounds, with the best player back and playing well, be a “great game overall”? I didn’t see game. I am in Bremen Germany.
Please stay there. And loose your laptop and cell phone. Much better for the rest of us true Lady Griz fans.

mthoopsfan said:
grizzlyjournal said:

There were lots of encouraging things like Burton-Oliver's presence down low (minutes/energy, rebounding, defending and blocking (multiple times) a bigger, lengthier, and pretty athletic post), shooting 9-14 (64.3%) from deep, Gfeller having her best game this season for points and minutes (still coming back from injury), and Stump becoming a pretty reliable contributor as a frosh.

Fatkin (5), Marxen (5), and Huard (0) only combined for 10 points but we know they can and will score going forward. Huard didn't take any shots so that might need to be addressed.

And yeah, Wazzu met the eye test of being a pretty good team. They appeared to not be taking the game lightly, were scrappy/athletic/well coached, and shot well (47.6% for the game).

There were definitely things that the LG will need to improve on like defense (susceptible to give-and-go early then not rotating to the shooters later), ball-handling, and composure/awareness (couple bad turnovers after a rebound where there was only one defender on our guard and we forced the outlet pass anyways instead of just taking the ball upcourt; plus backcourt violation; also a couple questionable out-of-control/forced drives).

DoubleNicks said:
mthoopsfan said:

There were lots of encouraging things like Burton-Oliver's presence down low (minutes/energy, rebounding, defending and blocking (multiple times) a bigger, lengthier, and pretty athletic post), shooting 9-14 (64.3%) from deep, Gfeller having her best game this season for points and minutes (still coming back from injury), and Stump becoming a pretty reliable contributor as a frosh.

Fatkin (5), Marxen (5), and Huard (0) only combined for 10 points but we know they can and will score going forward. Huard didn't take any shots so that might need to be addressed.

And yeah, Wazzu met the eye test of being a pretty good team. They appeared to not be taking the game lightly, were scrappy/athletic/well coached, and shot well (47.6% for the game).

There were definitely things that the LG will need to improve on like defense (susceptible to give-and-go early then not rotating to the shooters later), ball-handling, and composure/awareness (couple bad turnovers after a rebound where there was only one defender on our guard and we forced the outlet pass anyways instead of just taking the ball upcourt; plus backcourt violation; also a couple questionable out-of-control/forced drives).

Thanks. I can understand positives. Just not “great game overall”.

70Griz said:
mthoopsfan said:
Please stay there. And loose your laptop and cell phone. Much better for the rest of us true Lady Griz fans.

Glad you are excited about the 2-5 start, and weak scrimmage against Western. The football side has much higher expectations.

mthoopsfan said:
70Griz said:

Glad you are excited about the 2-5 start, and weak scrimmage against Western. The football side has much higher expectations.

I couldn't care less about a 2-5 start against the competition the Lady Griz have been playing. Or even about this season, frankly.

What I care about is Brian Holsinger and how he's gone about the re-build of this storied program. And on that front I am extremely happy with what I'm seeing.

I like his staff. Bringing in Jocelyn Tinkle was excellent. Who saw that coming?

Against an excellent Power 5 program, our freshmen contributed 28 points and 13 rebounds, validating so far his reputation as an excellent recruiter. It looks to me like Mack Konig, Libby Stump and Kali Burton-Oliver are future stars.

And I love that he's not afraid to "schedule up." Gonzaga got their start as a national power years ago by going out on the road a playing great competition before anybody associated their program with sustained success. They took their lumps but once they got to the national tournament they weren't intimidated and the rest is history.

So, greenie, take your shots now, from Bremen, Germany, Frog Bottom Argentina or Timbuktu. You'll look stupid in two years.

citay said:
mthoopsfan said:

I couldn't care less about a 2-5 start against the competition the Lady Griz have been playing. Or even about this season, frankly.

What I care about is Brian Holsinger and how he's gone about the re-build of this storied program. And on that front I am extremely happy with what I'm seeing.

I like his staff. Bringing in Jocelyn Tinkle was excellent. Who saw that coming?

Against an excellent Power 5 program, our freshmen contributed 28 points and 13 rebounds, validating so far his reputation as an excellent recruiter. It looks to me like Mack Konig, Libby Stump and Kali Burton-Oliver are future stars.

And I love that he's not afraid to "schedule up." Gonzaga got their start as a national power years ago by going out on the road a playing great competition before anybody associated their program with sustained success. They took their lumps but once they got to the national tournament they weren't intimidated and the rest is history.

So, greenie, take your shots now, from Bremen, Germany, Frog Bottom Argentina or Timbuktu. You'll look stupid in two years.

I ask a simple question and some of yo start jumping me. What’s with the hostility? Is this not a forum where questions can be asked?butif MB you want to rile me up, go for it.

My main gripe was firing 6 players without seeing them play or practice. Mist via zoom. And then getting nothing in return for the open slots from the immediate firing. I said early on I thought or assumed the new coach would do fine or well. It is types like you who think Holsinger has done something incredible. He hasn’t. I heard from some Montana people with high school players that he is arrogant. I said nothing to make me look stupid in two years. In my view, you look stupid now. You were salivating over him and saying he would turn things around right away. He didn’t.

mthoopsfan said:
grizzlyjournal said:

HEY mthoopsfan: I wrote that the GrizWBB played a "great" game because there was obvious, statistics-supported evidence throughout that Montana is getting better game by game. The halftime score was 40-37, a clear indicator that the Griz were doing a ton of things the right way, including getting solid contributions from its younger players. Things changed after halftime, due to 3-4 factors, the most important being a full-court pressure game applied by the Cougs... which included that things got ramped up considerably physically. In particular, there was a 4-5 minute span mid 2nd half where an 8-10 pt. WSU lead quickly went to 17-18 points. Otherwise, I believe Montana played a solid, competitive game, maybe not great... but very good. I like this team. They're still very young, with up to 6 frosh-soph players on-court for double digit minutes. Those Griz kids get better with each game. They're going to be fun to watch. :thumb:

mthoopsfan said:
70Griz said:

And yet failed to meet them. Lady Griz are climbing back up a long steep hill. Football was talented and pucked to win conference, yet placed 5/6 depending on how the glass is perceived.

bigtyme said:
mthoopsfan said:

And yet failed to meet them. Lady Griz are climbing back up a long steep hill. Football was talented and pucked to win conference, yet placed 5/6 depending on how the glass is perceived.

Football team made playoffs and won a tough playoff game and will finish in the top 10 or 12 in nation.

Ok, preseason moves onward, the usual mix of big/small school competition. We have a lot of talent banked up, and this team should look good for conference play. But one thing must change, and is a question for me. Just my opinion, we do not have consistent high scorers (other than Gfeller). Is this talent, coaching, or what? Most teams have at least 1-2 players who prove themselves as double digit shooters, most all of the time. If they are not open, they create shots, I just don't see this with the LGriz....yet.

Back