• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ribs Recipe

reinell30 said:
Cuervohola said:
My Brother uses this Camp Chef... He has had it for at least 3 years, and we have never had a problem... I prefer gas because it's easier to control the temp...

One thing we noticed recently is Salmon took forever, but it was a windy day and we used cedar planks... Both firsts for that smoker, something we won't repeat... I would try the planks again because the Salmon was UNREAL, but it will have to be a completely calm day...

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Camp-Chef-Smoke-Vault/productDetail/Smokers-and-Wood-Chips/prod71424/cat101724" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree, gas is easiest to control. My big BBQ is gas. The smoker under it is gas. When the wind blows, (which is all the time in Great falls) I wrap the grill cover around the bottom of the smoker so the wind doesn't effect temp. I use a lot of mesquite and hickory combined. I like Hammers idea with the Dr Pepper, never tried that. I normally soak my ribs in meat tenderizer over night then cover with spices over another night and let sit at room temp for about 24-40 hours to let the spices soak in, Then with them wrapped in tinfoil, throw them on the BBQ for about 2 hours on low, take off the foil and smoke for about an 1 hour.

Mine is a Brinkmann offset smoker. Love it. I use apple wood almost exclusively. My mother in laws yard in Whitehall has several apple trees and there is always a dead branch to whack off. I have used Dr Pepper and Root beer as a brine and couldn't really tell the diff. The sugars in the soda help break down the meat and make it more tender. I think TCC uses root beer.

reinell30 said:
Cuervohola said:
My Brother uses this Camp Chef... He has had it for at least 3 years, and we have never had a problem... I prefer gas because it's easier to control the temp...

One thing we noticed recently is Salmon took forever, but it was a windy day and we used cedar planks... Both firsts for that smoker, something we won't repeat... I would try the planks again because the Salmon was UNREAL, but it will have to be a completely calm day...

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Camp-Chef-Smoke-Vault/productDetail/Smokers-and-Wood-Chips/prod71424/cat101724" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree, gas is easiest to control. My big BBQ is gas. The smoker under it is gas. When the wind blows, (which is all the time in Great falls) I wrap the grill cover around the bottom of the smoker so the wind doesn't effect temp. I use a lot of mesquite and hickory combined. I like Hammers idea with the Dr Pepper, never tried that. I normally soak my ribs in meat tenderizer over night then cover with spices over another night and let sit at room temp for about 24-40 hours to let the spices soak in, Then with them wrapped in tinfoil, throw them on the BBQ for about 2 hours on low, take off the foil and smoke for about an 1 hour.

That's a lot of waiting... I'm sure they are good, but I don't have that patience... Unless of course I did it on a constant rotation :thumb:

The key is practice and experimentation , Start by removing the thin layer off the back of he ribs (it is a pain in the ass) then I brine mine in root beer (Thanks Hammer) I also add worcestershire sauce (quarter cup) , and a little Johnny's seasoning salt. covered in the fridge 12to 24 hrs when you take it out let your ribs get to room temp and rinse them off and pat them dry , I use various rubs , let the ribs set for a couple of hours with the rub . I smoke mine for about 3 to 4 hours until they reach about 140 degrees. I spritz mine with a combo of apple cider vinegar 2 cups),Extra virgin olive oil (1/2 cup), worcestershire sauce ( 3 Tbsp) and Balsamic vinegar (3tbsp) spritz everytime you turn the ribs every 15 mins( it took a while to get the times right) add a light layer of sauce turn the temp up to 195 to 200 .takes another hour or so
Good luck
Oh and yes they will make an appearance at Hammer's tailgate this year along with my wife's baked ziti ( Ask Hammer how good that is )

TCCGRIZ said:
The key is practice and experimentation , Start by removing the thin layer off the back of he ribs (it is a pain in the ass) then I brine mine in root beer (Thanks Hammer) I also add worcestershire sauce (quarter cup) , and a little Johnny's seasoning salt. covered in the fridge 12to 24 hrs when you take it out let your ribs get to room temp and rinse them off and pat them dry , I use various rubs , let the ribs set for a couple of hours with the rub . I smoke mine for about 3 to 4 hours until they reach about 140 degrees. I spritz mine with a combo of apple cider vinegar 2 cups),Extra virgin olive oil (1/2 cup), worcestershire sauce ( 3 Tbsp) and Balsamic vinegar (3tbsp) spritz everytime you turn the ribs every 15 mins( it took a while to get the times right) add a light layer of sauce turn the temp up to 195 to 200 .takes another hour or so
Good luck
Oh and yes they will make an appearance at Hammer's tailgate this year along with my wife's baked ziti ( Ask Hammer how good that is )

The baked ziti and ribs both rock, but TCC's wife is wayyyyyy better looking than he is!!!!!!

Cuervohola said:
reinell30 said:
Cuervohola said:

That's a lot of waiting... I'm sure they are good, but I don't have that patience... Unless of course I did it on a constant rotation :thumb:

I like to prepare my ribs this way before I throw them in the freezer. I bring them home from the store, prepare them this way, then put them in the vacuum sealer, and freeze them. The 1st batch, I prepare and have before freezing all the others. I sometimes make up 20 racks of ribs at a time. Then this way, when I am ready for ribs again, all I have to do is thaw at room temp, and cook.

Hammer said:

The baked ziti and ribs both rock, but TCC's wife is wayyyyyy better looking than he is!!!!!!

If we were being honest, we all pretty much out kicked our coverage - didn't we. :coffee:

If you haven't tried Up n Smokin in PBurg, I highly recommend it. Stopped there a month or so ago and was the best restaurant type ribs I've had to date. Also a great smoked jalapeno sausage.

Talked to the owner and he said he had an entire storage unit full of equipment in Msla. Was trying to open a store here but the city won't let him--get this--actually "smoke" the food in city limits...I swear this town... :roll:

So that should tell you all u need to know about the "BBQ" joints in town. Liquid Smoke, anyone?

CFallsGriz said:
If you haven't tried Up n Smokin in PBurg, I highly recommend it. Stopped there a month or so ago and was the best restaurant type ribs I've had to date. Also a great smoked jalapeno sausage.

Talked to the owner and he said he had an entire storage unit full of equipment in Msla. Was trying to open a store here but the city won't let him--get this--actually "smoke" the food in city limits...I swear this town... :roll:

So that should tell you all u need to know about the "BBQ" joints in town. Liquid Smoke, anyone?
I have been railing about this for years. It cracks me up that these so called bbq experts in Missoula bragging up daves and dickless bbq. If a BBQ place doesn't reek of smoke when you walk in then something is wrong. We all know that these two places are a complete joke when it comes to real BBQ
I have told people that Missoula passed a law years ago banning anything wood burning because of the crappy air quality here, including commercial BBQ. What does that tell you about BBQ here in town? One thing and one thing only, fake bbq.

I could be wrong, but it looked to me like the place in P-Burg was sticking its ribs in some kind of commercial steamer, not a smoker...

Htowngriz said:
I could be wrong, but it looked to me like the place in P-Burg was sticking its ribs in some kind of commercial steamer, not a smoker...
The lazy use a commercial steam/smoker combo. This type uses a few wood chips or dust for smoke.
The problem with these things are they cook the meat in only a few hours vs 12-14 for real BBQ.
With the cost of BBQ, I want the real shit not the hurried crap. :eek:

A couple pork butts I smoked for pulled pork sandwiches last fall for a tailgate party. Ask TCCGriz how good it was. A full 12 hrs of smoking time.

Back