• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Out of State Tuition

SoCal Surfer

DONOR
I'm an alum. I graduated in 1970. I sent my son to UM in 2003. At that time I paid $10K for a semester without room/board. Per a recent Missoulian article the current cost for a semester is $26K +/-.

See attached: https://missoulian.com/news/local/tuition-hikes-approved-across-montana-university-system/article_bf8f9419-eb3a-53d5-b7bd-80bba97684d9.html.

I bring this up as I'm an avid fan of UM FB. IMHO, the cost of education today at UM is out of reach of most especially out of state students. To me this will negatively impact UM athletics. We all know the impact of "walk-ons".

I suggest you research out of state tuition for other BSC and FCS schools. You will realize that the cost for UM is not an outlier on the expensive side.

I, personally, can't afford to pay for my grandkids at current UM out of state rates. I'll just suggest they stay local (Texas).

I had a great experience at UM. I'm sorry that others in my family can't share that experience any more.

Many posters have THITA when talking about the cost of education. To me it is a major financial problem.

I speak as someone who pays the bill. I also speak as someone who will pay the bill for another generation.

UM can't ignore the the cost of out of state tuition.

SoCal Surfer said:
Many posters have THITA when talking about the cost of education. To me it is a major financial problem.

I speak as someone who pays the bill. I also speak as someone who will pay the bill for another generation.

UM can't ignore the the cost of out of state tuition.

I agree that tuition in general is an issue. But it is not an issue exclusive to UM, and I would think from your post that you would have the same complaint no matter what out of state institution you would look at. UM and every other institution has to pay the bills, and out of state tuition is a large chunk.

For me it is an out of state (legacy) choice vs and in state choice. The main factor when making this choice is the cost of education.

You have several choices:

You and/or your prospective UM students could move to Montana, establish residency here and pay in-state tuition.
You can just pay the out-of-state tuition.
The student could just go to work until savings are sufficient to pay the freight.
They could join the military, GI Bill funding.

Out-of-state tuition is a collegiate fact of life, where ever you live. Are these students so hung ho about UM that they have just GOT to go there, or are you living vicariously through them?

UTSA is the affordable choice.

All good points by posters.

In Texas the typical tuition cost of a public 4 year college/university is $8,500 for an in state student while $21,000 for an out of state student.
Like one said: out of state tuition is a fact of life.
I'll make my choice when the time comes for the grandkids.

Thx to those who responded.

My son went to the University of Minnesota in MSP. They give reciprocity to all states that border Minnesota along with Saskatchewan Then again, they have Big10 TV money to do that.

Both of our kids qualified for the WUE which reduced the cost to 1.5 times in state tuition. Ends up being about $22k a year/kid, which is about $10K less than if they had stayed in Washington and gone to WSU or UW.

Back