• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

High Cost of Hotels in Montana

SoCal Surfer

DONOR
I just paid for my brother-in-law"s hotel room in Kalispell, MT. It was a Marriott Springhill room for 2 people. It cost me $351 for 1 night. He wanted to attend UM's first game. He will be driving from Portland, OR. Whitefish cost - another option for a stay - was $474. The date was 2 Sep. One evening.

Why such a high cost for a hotel in Montana? Springhill is a lower tier hotel for Marriott. For example, I recently stayed at a Marriott Residence Inn in Corpus Christi, TX in a room with a bay view for half the price a week ago.

If this is typical for Montana expect less alums or other visitors this year when one factors in air fare.

In years past my stays were never this high for a typical hotel room in Missoula.

Welcome to the new reality of Montana. Even the MHSA is looking into having to get guaranteed rates for room in their bids due to the cost.

I always stay at the Quality Inn on Reserve. I pay $215 for a King bed Suite. My son is staying at the Wingate by Airport and his room is only $149 for king bed, not suite. However, who needs a suite when all you want is a place to sleep? The Quality Inn used to be one of the best values in Missoula, not anymore. The hotel/motel owners have made it cheaper to just drive home after the games now. Not as safe for us, but this is what they have caused...Crazy prices!

The swings in prices are wild. Late spring thru November in many towns around the state paying $300+ is the norm. My youngest had a lacrosse tourney in Bozeman in May and the lowest cost room we could find was around $450 (there's 5 of us so we usually need a larger space). But then in the winter months those rooms are 1/3 the cost, if not even lower.

Once again, this year we are going to be making a lot of day trips. The motels are adding at least $50 a night to the price of rooms for game nights. Instead of staying and dropping money for meals and drinks in Missoula, I will be having the wife drive me home after most games.

There are still rooms at the Marriott in Missoula for 2 Sept 2022. Rates range from $315 - $436. 4 different hotels. 3 months ago the price was much lower, I'm surprised there are still rooms available at this time of year for our opening game. Why outlying areas so expensive?

We have stayed at the C'mon Inn for years, usually mid $150 to 170 for game day weekends. First two games this year $275.00 with our discounts. I know the manager and she is appalled by the prices but not her decision. After the team comes back from Indiana it will be about normal so they say.

This summer, the Element hotel in Bozeman was around $800 at times. At times, rental car prices in the Flathead have been very high. $1700 per week for one friend. Heard $2700 for another.

Back