• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Pellet Smoker Grill

reinell30

eGriz Club
DONOR
Can anyone tell me please, what is the best Pellet Smoker Grill to buy? I see Traeger name everywhere. My son really likes the Req Tec RT700. I was going to order it for Christmas but wanted expert advice from all you meat smokers please?

reinell30 said:
Can anyone tell me please, what is the best Pellet Smoker Grill to buy? I see Traeger name everywhere. My son really likes the Req Tec RT700. I was going to order it for Christmas but wanted expert advice from all you meat smokers please?
I have a Traeger and love it. I previously had a propane fired smoker and I couldn’t get it to hold temperature. I live in Great Falls and any wind over 20 mph or temperature under 40 and it just wouldn’t work. I do a whole prime rib for Christmas and have never had a problem. I use the smoker all winter and the coldest was -20F and it worked fine.

griz98 said:
reinell30 said:
I have a Traeger and love it. I previously had a propane fired smoker and I couldn’t get it to hold temperature. I live in Great Falls and any wind over 20 mph or temperature under 40 and it just wouldn’t work. I do a whole prime rib for Christmas and have never had a problem. I use the smoker all winter and the coldest was -20F and it worked fine.

Thank you for this! I to live in Great Falls, and the wind here sucks! The cold climate I didn't consider, I will need to compare that feature between the Treager and the Req Tec. Thank you!

reinell30 said:

I don't know who makes Cabela's but they work great.

reinell30 said:

I own a ReqTec RT-700 fully loaded with cold smoke box, competition cart, folding exterior stainless shelf, folding interior shelve and sear grates. Purchased it December of 18 and it’s been flawless. I can hit over 600F with certain brands of pellets and with the wifi app I cAn fire it up from work and monitor temps remotely. Has a huge hopper and can burn over 24 hrs without running out.

I also looked at the Yoder YS-640.

grizfnz said:
reinell30 said:

I own a ReqTec RT-700 fully loaded with cold smoke box, competition cart, folding exterior stainless shelf, folding interior shelve and sear grates. Purchased it December of 18 and it’s been flawless. I can hit over 600F with certain brands of pellets and with the wifi app I cAn fire it up from work and monitor temps remotely. Has a huge hopper and can burn over 24 hrs without running out.

I also looked at the Yoder YS-640.

I am pretty much leaning towards this smoker. Thank you!

It's a 2nd generation and many of the first gen issues resolved, but Weber has finally gotten into the pellet grill game, and this one will go to 600 (not to be confused with an amp that goes to 11).

Full disclosure in that I do not own one yet, but have been waiting for it to go on sale if it ever does again. It could replace my gas grill, charcoal grill and my charcoal smoker.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/wood-pellet/

Thanks for the inputs. I ordered the Reqtec 1250. My son so far loves it. It is big enough for a good size Weiner pig. Hold 170 wings. Temps go to 700 degrees. Have no idea why you would want to cook that hot, but it gets hot.

reinell30 said:
Thanks for the inputs. I ordered the Reqtec 1250. My son so far loves it. It is big enough for a good size Weiner pig. Hold 170 wings. Temps go to 700 degrees. Have no idea why you would want to cook that hot, but it gets hot.

Good choice! LOVE MY RECTEQ!

reinell30 said:

So you can pretty much cook anything on it. From BBQ to grilling. As stated above, when I finally pull the trigger, it'll become my all in one.

reinell30 said:

Traegers are great and all but I'm gonna let you in on a secret, move to Oklahoma Joes Smokers. Once I switched, oh boi was I glad. The taste is beyond phenomenal. The Oklahoma Joes are pure cast iron charcoal/wood smokers, and they are AMAZING, just don't use generic charcoal like kingsford.

Look up Blue Thin Smoke, you'll never regret it.

I have a Camp Chef...like a Traeger but not as expensive. I use Jealous Devil pellets because those are the best. But they can only be found in the smaller hardware stores around Montana.

jrifkin48 said:
I have a Camp Chef...like a Traeger but not as expensive. I use Jealous Devil pellets because those are the best. But they can only be found in the smaller hardware stores around Montana.

I second Camp Chef. Previously owned a Traeger, Camp Chef is better in my opinion. Owned mine for 3 years, not one issue, which I couldn’t say for my Traeger

Back