• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NEW GRIZ: Dillon Botner OL Whitefish, MT

So I was looking at NDSU's OL roster and I saw most of them were 6-4 to 6-6 as is Dillon. But almost all of them were 280-300+. Is it reasonable or customary for a recruit to gain 60 or more pounds in a year or two?

225 on a 6-3 frame would seem pretty lean for an OL player.

behappp said:
So I was looking at NDSU's OL roster and I saw most of them were 6-4 to 6-6 as is Dillon. But almost all of them were 280-300+. Is it reasonable or customary for a recruit to gain 60 or more pounds in a year or two?

Almost exactly the same size as Sirmon when he arrived on campus. He might have the genetics but it will still be difficult even with today’s training regimes. Hauck said they were having trouble finding the big kids they used to find in backroads Montana. They are few & far between these days.

behappp said:

Not unreasonable to accomplish that in a couple years if the guy is still growing and has the frame to support that type of gain with a healthy program. Put a growing kid on a 7,000 calorie/day protein packed diet and a weight training regimen and they can pack on 30 pounds per year easily. There are cases of guys putting on as much as 100 pounds during their eligibility. Sadly, some guys put too much weight on their frame and have issues with it later on.

Sam A. Blitz said:
behappp said:

Not unreasonable to accomplish that in a couple years if the guy is still growing and has the frame to support that type of gain with a healthy program. Put a growing kid on a 7,000 calorie/day protein packed diet and a weight training regimen and they can pack on 30 pounds per year easily. There are cases of guys putting on as much as 100 pounds during their eligibility. Sadly, some guys put too much weight on their frame and have issues with it later on.
That's what I was curious about. I was thinking he could end up at DE size but would need a big but healthy weight gain for OL.
Thanks.

High school basketball will be putting a dent in that weight gain plan until the season is over.

It seems to me like he's perfect for Hauck's philosophy. Tall, Long, Athlete who has a frame to add weight. I think the ideal method is to get these guys ready in 3 years. Redshirt, Frosh-Soph some PT on special teams and mop up duty. But really lock them in the Champion Center with a feed bag and see what comes out by the time they are Juniors. Between 18-21 is a huge growth period in terms of filling out. Putting on 60lbs in that time frame is pretty natural if your 6"6" - 6'8" and lifting/eating like a machine. Look for Botner and Salagor to be 285-295 with great athleticism, technique and a chip on their shoulder ready to get on the field. While it takes patience this is an awesome plan of action for our future Oline. I remember our old Olines when this process was in place and other teams, and TV announcers being in awe at how big and athletic they were. They looked like and Power 5 OLine not an FCS, and that was when we had a weight room that was basically a dirty old closet. Imagine what these guys will look like after 3 years with Nicholson in the Champion Center and a full nutrition program. Pretty exciting.

Back