• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky coaches IMO who are on the hot seat

Griz til I die

DONOR
I thought it’d be kind of fun to take a look at the current landscape of Big Sky Football and which coaches I think are probably going to have to have a pretty good season if they want to save their jobs. Here are two IMO that are in danger

Bruce Barnum PSU- Let’s be real, Portland State was terrible last year, and are probably not going to be much better this year. They got a tough schedule and I just can’t see them going from 0-11 to 7-4 in one season.

Earnest Collins Jr. UNC- UNC’s best season was in 2016 when they finished 6-5. This year I think they only finished 3-8. I would think that this better be a make or break year for UNC or change is coming.

Here’s another name that I would keep a close eye on:

Jeff Choate- two losing seasons, but 2-0 against the Griz. It’s only a matter of time before he eventually loses to the Griz. What happens if he has a losing season again this year and loses to the Griz? He just got a contract extension, so the Cats are stuck with him for 3 years.

Of course I don’t know the contract information for Barnum or Earnest, but I do know they need to start producing, or it’s only a matter of time.

Collins at UNC is a real head-scratcher. He was hired for UNC after 2 losing seasons at Alcorn St. :?: Including the stint at Alcorn, he's had 2 winning seasons in 9 years, and both of those were 6-5. No playoff appearances.

Barnum was STATS FCS Coach of the Year, but he's gone 3-19 since... :eek:

I'd add Chris Walsh. The only coach he beat last year was Barnum. Guy's probably nearing retirement anyway, but he has no playoff wins in 6 years.

I know we hate on John Choate here, but I very much doubt his seat is even a little warm right now.

They love him over there, despite his losing record.

The Cats were in a lot of games against some pretty good teams last season they just didn't win. I think the loss of Mac Bignell is bigger than some realize. Their defense will not be as good next year without him. He was one of the best players in the FCS last season. If they don't have significant injuries like the Griz had at quarterback last season they should have a pretty good team returning for Choate's third year. If they don't make some significant gains in the win column next year and get blown out in Missoula Cat fans will quickly sour on that staff.

uofmman1122 said:
I know we hate on John Choate here, but I very much doubt his seat is even a little warm right now.

That preemptive extension may be the most mind boggling thing they've ever done in Bozeman. Keep in mind that this is a department that has signed off on player posters on porta-potties, Bobcat Batter, a C.A.T.S. music video by geriatrics, press conferences in a garage. Extending a losing HC before his contract is up takes the cake.

grizaremoregooder said:
The Cats were in a lot of games against some pretty good teams last season they just didn't win. I think the loss of Mac Bignell is bigger than some realize. Their defense will not be as good next year without him. He was one of the best players in the FCS last season. If they don't have significant injuries like the Griz had at quarterback last season they should have a pretty good team returning for Choate's third year. If they don't make some significant gains in the win column next year and get blown out in Missoula Cat fans will quickly sour on that staff.

That's the end of the inquiry.

uofmman1122 said:

To think Coach Choate is even remotely on the hot seat at MSU is laughable. He walked into a program out of control and corrected the entire culture. I've even questioned whether he was too strict with severing ties with a few of the kids but he seems to have restored the Sonny Holland and Cliff Hysell mindset of their players and boosters.

I also believe the Northern Colorado coach is fine as long as his teams are competitive and he can keeps the kids out of trouble. Given where Greeley is, that should not be an issue. He should be able to get a few marginal kids to transfer in and buy into his philosophy...kind of like Cheney?

CDAGRIZ said:
uofmman1122 said:

That preemptive extension may be the most mind boggling thing they've ever done in Bozeman. Keep in mind that this is a department that has signed off on player posters on porta-potties, Bobcat Batter, a C.A.T.S. music video by geriatrics, press conferences in a garage. Extending a losing HC before his contract is up takes the cake.
Yeppers and let’s not forget about hireing some guy to be AD over the lunch break, being an engineering and architecture school with a disjointed, crooked stadium pointing at a shit pond, and holding a press conference to explain how dirty the ex-coach was only to later get sued by said coach for a quarter-mil.
And don’t get me started on their social media (taking a #BOOM when you #FLATLINE, photoshopping TG, faceless player, etc.).
But they sure love them some Chote-E-Chote

Barnum - probably but PSU is on a shoe-string budget and I think he's got 1 or 2 more years on contract. I'd guess they may not even care, especially if his contract has a buy-out in it.

Collins - maybe... but as others point out he came in from a losing program, I could see them giving him more time.

North Dakota's on the way out of the Big Sky but I'd wonder if they don't bounce back from last year's injury riddled season if their coach, Schweigert, would be on the hot seat.

Choate... no way, they love him there.

What about Phenecie? Such an odd situation over there and yet another bad season. If they only win a few games again, would he be on the hot seat?

Only other one I'd wonder about is Tim Walsh at Poly. Bad season last year, now 51-52 overall, just 1 playoff appearance in the last 5 years. If they have another bad year I'd really think Poly might want to make a change.

Coach Choade @ State could go 3-30 the next 3 seasons and be picked by their fan base to win the pre-lube conference every year...and as long as he beats Montana.... scat boosters will still be stiffer than bull elk during Fall rut to extend Him...

:roll:

BWahlberg said:
What about Phenecie? Such an odd situation over there and yet another bad season. If they only win a few games again, would he be on the hot seat?

Success is relative. A 4-7 season is like a trip to the playoffs in Pocatello.

BWahlberg said:

Rob will be safe for a while, thanks to finding a hidden immunity idol.
77b2737d169e090c3a56243d91d114e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uofmman1122 said:

WTF is John Choate?

You’re f$&king with the old guys again, aren’t you? :lol:

grizfnz said:
BWahlberg said:

thats funny stuff right there.... :lol:

PlayerRep said:
Didn't Choate just get 3 more years. Ya, he's on the hot seat. Jeez, how can some people be so stupid.
I knew that he got 3 more years. The point I was trying to make is that if he has a losing record again this season, and they lose to the Griz, don’t you think some of their fans will start to sit on the edge of their seats?

krammer said:
grizfnz said:
BWahlberg said:

thats funny stuff right there.... :lol:

That is POTY kind of funny!!!!! I salute you!!! Also what the hell is that thing around his neck? It looks like if you open it, it could melt a NAZI's face. We should have top people looking into that, top people.

bgbigdog said:
uofmman1122 said:

WTF is John Choate?

You’re f$&king with the old guys again, aren’t you? :lol:
Bobcat coach. He’s been there for three years, ever since they replaced Ron Ash.

BWahlberg said:
Only other one I'd wonder about is Tim Walsh at Poly. Bad season last year, now 51-52 overall, just 1 playoff appearance in the last 5 years. If they have another bad year I'd really think Poly might want to make a change.

Cal Poly should be a destination school for recruits: the beach, plenty of CA girls, and very well respected academically, 1 1/2 hour drive to Santa Barbara... If they ever get a good coach who can recruit, look out...

Back