• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Choate

ABQCat said:
Of the last 4 coaches at UNLV, Bobby had the worst W/L percentage. You have to go back to the mid 90s to find a UNLV coach worse the Bobby. This throws out the "nobody wins and UNLV" line of thinking.

For as much that folks over here want to talk about Choate's 9-13 record, he's still way better than Bobby's last run as a head coach. Choate's extension is the result of a forward thinking AD and University President who recognize the improvements in his second year: 5-3 in conference play last year, 7-3 in his last 10 conference games, and he's 2-0 against the grizz. They also recognize the change in culture and much improved buy-in from the players, fans and donors. They also recognize how damaging the coaching carousel is to continuity and recruiting, and conversely how much more effective recruiting goes when the recruits know the coach is going to stick around. There isn't a single Cat fan that is even close to disagreeing with the extension decision, and even the curmudgeons that love to whine and complain are on board with direction of the program.

Right now there is complete unity in the MSU Bobcat football universe between the coaches, the team, the administration and the fans.

Since 1990, no UNLV coach won over 40% of games. Since that date, only Hauck and John Robinson had a winning record and went to a bowl game. Don't see how anyone can draw many conclusions from that mess and those records, other than that UNLV became a very tough place to coach in the past 3 decades.

Hauck is clearly a better coach now than when he he first left UM, due to his additional years of coaching experience, recruiting contacts, and maturity. He is still full of energy, has a great grasp of detail, great knowledge of the game, and is a motivator. Has assembled a great group of coaches. The team is generally liking what they have seen. They want to win.

This is good enough for me. BS33 is back to showing what a total idiot he can be. Some of what he says is totally embarrassing. I feel sorry for the guy.

ABQCat said:
Of the last 4 coaches at UNLV, Bobby had the worst W/L percentage. You have to go back to the mid 90s to find a UNLV coach worse the Bobby. This throws out the "nobody wins and UNLV" line of thinking.

For as much that folks over here want to talk about Choate's 9-13 record, he's still way better than Bobby's last run as a head coach. Choate's extension is the result of a forward thinking AD and University President who recognize the improvements in his second year: 5-3 in conference play last year, 7-3 in his last 10 conference games, and he's 2-0 against the grizz. They also recognize the change in culture and much improved buy-in from the players, fans and donors. They also recognize how damaging the coaching carousel is to continuity and recruiting, and conversely how much more effective recruiting goes when the recruits know the coach is going to stick around. There isn't a single Cat fan that is even close to disagreeing with the extension decision, and even the curmudgeons that love to whine and complain are on board with direction of the program.

Right now there is complete unity in the MSU Bobcat football universe between the coaches, the team, the administration and the fans.

Of course there is...it's preseason!! Their expert fans have fully analyzed and understand every player the Cats have. They are all super fast, super strong, super big, super skilled, super students...they will have a top 5 FCS offense and top 5 FCS defense this year. Their QB has become a Tom Brady clone since last November. Their coaches have great schemes both offensively and defensively. Charisma beyond compare. And the administration....they've got a painting party planned for the eastside bleachers next weekend.

But the Griz just have Bobby and he had a bad run at UNLV....

Mousegriz said:
ABQCat said:

Of course there is...it's preseason!! Their expert fans have fully analyzed and understand every player the Cats have. They are all super fast, super strong, super big, super skilled, super students...they will have a top 5 FCS offense and top 5 FCS defense this year. Their QB has become a Tom Brady clone since last November. Their coaches have great schemes both offensively and defensively. Charisma beyond compare. And the administration....they've got a painting party planned for the eastside bleachers next weekend.

And don't forget "scary good"....they are always scary good. Oh and Murray is spinning it way better and looks vastly improved....just like last year :lol:

ABQCat said:

I'll take your word that he's done well off the field.
There must be some rule saying that MSU can't give extensions after the 2018 season, because making the decision then would've worked just as well, and protected MSU if Choach tanked in 2018.

bigsky33 said:
cmtgrizzly said:
bigsky33 said:
PlayerRep said:
Big33, could you tell us again how you knew that Vernon Adams would never enroll at Oregon and would stay at EWU? One of my favorite tales on egriz. You must have told us that a half dozen times.

Sure, Cat fans are happy Bobby is back. Not.

I don't understand why you get like this sometimes, and act like a total stupid ass.
Is that all you ass hats can bring up is Vernon Adams? Talk about stupid asses.

All that you can do is spew how great Bobby is. He was another in a long line of failures at UNLV. Like I said , he is now at home in a failing University.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems all you can spew is criticism of Bobby’s time at UNLV. To be honest it makes you seem nervous and concerned that he is back and that you are fixated on a hope that you can hang your hat on his less than stellar record at UNLV as evidence that he isnt as good as his record at UM (a more directly relevant measure if his ability) would say he is. Your blind narrow minded criticism of him smacks of personal pain. Maybe you are the biggest cat fan of all time and Bobby’s first tenure as head coach truly scarred you or you had a personal interaction with him that caused this distaste. In any case everyone is aware of how he did at UNLV and at UM and everyone is aware of your apparent personal pain. I wouldnt be so sure that he wont be successful this time as you are setting yourself up for more disappointment. Wait two or three years and then if you are right come back and tell us how you were right and UNLV would have been a great job for a better coach.

It is really very simple. You brought back a coach that did not have success in his last head coaching job. Although, you like to think so, it does not raise concern or nervousness to Cat fans that he is back coaching at a failing University. Cat fans are happy with the Coach they have at the State’s flagship University, MSU.

The high school coach who took Bobby’s place at UNLV is already doing a better job.

I have never said Bobby was successful at UNLV. Noone has been having success there. He would tell you they werent succsessful overall though they did have a winning year which is rare for that program.

Would you say Choate has been successful?

HookedonGriz said:
Mousegriz said:
ABQCat said:

And don't forget "scary good"....they are always scary good. Oh and Murray is spinning it way better and looks vastly improved....just like last year :lol:

Again....You know the "Scary Good" thing started with griz fans...It is important to me that you know that.

HookedonGriz said:
bigsky33 said:
cmtgrizzly said:
bigsky33 said:
Is that all you ass hats can bring up is Vernon Adams? Talk about stupid asses.

All that you can do is spew how great Bobby is. He was another in a long line of failures at UNLV. Like I said , he is now at home in a failing University.

It seems all you can spew is criticism of Bobby’s time at UNLV. To be honest it makes you seem nervous and concerned that he is back and that you are fixated on a hope that you can hang your hat on his less than stellar record at UNLV as evidence that he isnt as good as his record at UM (a more directly relevant measure if his ability) would say he is. Your blind narrow minded criticism of him smacks of personal pain. Maybe you are the biggest cat fan of all time and Bobby’s first tenure as head coach truly scarred you or you had a personal interaction with him that caused this distaste. In any case everyone is aware of how he did at UNLV and at UM and everyone is aware of your apparent personal pain. I wouldnt be so sure that he wont be successful this time as you are setting yourself up for more disappointment. Wait two or three years and then if you are right come back and tell us how you were right and UNLV would have been a great job for a better coach.

It is really very simple. You brought back a coach that did not have success in his last head coaching job. Although, you like to think so, it does not raise concern or nervousness to Cat fans that he is back coaching at a failing University. Cat fans are happy with the Coach they have at the State’s flagship University, MSU.

The high school coach who took Bobby’s place at UNLV is already doing a better job.

You're my favorite idiot poster here, which says a lot. Congrats! You say something like "you brought back a coach who did not have success at his last coaching job" when you have a current coach who has never been a head before and has had no succcess whatsoever. He is 9-13 for shit sake....are you guys so awful that is now deemed successful? Have some self respect man!
Hooked, looks like the Griz are in the same boat as the Cats with a coach with a losing record in his last head coaching job. And, a coach that has a losing record so far in the present job. The fans at each school seem to be happy with each at their respective schools. Choate has the support of a University on the rise. Hauck is supported by a failing University. Other than that, there doesn’t seem to be much difference. The jury is still out on success for both schools.

The idiot is you and your fellow Griz obsessers, thinking that Cat fans are concerned, nervous and in pain about Bobby . Reality is we don’t care about him. We believe we have a very good coach that is building a program that will excel.

This getting very long thread of Griz fans obsessing about Choate is on EGriz not Bobcatnation. It looks like it is you people that are nervous, concerned and in pain over Choate. I guess losing to a coach 2 yrs in a row, that you think is not good, will probably do that.

bigsky33 said:
HookedonGriz said:
bigsky33 said:
cmtgrizzly said:

You're my favorite idiot poster here, which says a lot. Congrats! You say something like "you brought back a coach who did not have success at his last coaching job" when you have a current coach who has never been a head before and has had no succcess whatsoever. He is 9-13 for shit sake....are you guys so awful that is now deemed successful? Have some self respect man!
Hooked, looks like the Griz are in the same boat as the Cats with a coach with a losing record in his last head coaching job. And, a coach that has a losing record so far in the present job. The fans at each school seem to be happy with each at their respective schools. Choate has the support of a University on the rise. Hauck is supported by a failing University. Other than that, there doesn’t seem to be much difference. The jury is still out on success for both schools.

The idiot is you and your fellow Griz obsessers, thinking that Cat fans are concerned, nervous and in pain about Bobby . Reality is we don’t care about him. We believe we have a very good coach that is building a program that will excel.

This getting very long thread of Griz fans obsessing about Choate is on EGriz not Bobcatnation. It looks like it is you people that are nervous, concerned and in pain over Choate. I guess losing to a coach 2 yrs in a row, that you think is not good, will probably do that.

Reality is you CARE VERY MUCH about Bobby...he lives in your heads....

And you're right losing to a coach 2 years in a row..is not good for Griz fans...thats why we fired the freaking coach that lost... you boob.

GGNez said:
Been moving and changing jobs in the last few weeks, so...haven't bothered to read this thread or any others. Weighing in anyway. Saw Hauck and Choate hug at the MT Football HOF banquet. So sweet and special...
Also, saw Hauck get mentioned in a very positive way by many people, several times. Bobby was social, charismatic and generous with his time. Choate was dickish. I wanted to talk to him, to see some charisma and personality. It just wasn't there for me or anyone else.

Go Griz. RTD.
This has been my experience, too. If BH is Beavis, co-chote is Butthead. A total classless jerk. And very arrogant with no time for the little guy. I was going to shake his hand too but luckily I saw he was preparing to give Griz fans the stink palm ala Mallrats-style, so I bailed. He just massaged it into his goatee, and made it look like he was in deep thought

CDAGRIZ said:
ABQCat said:

I'll take your word that he's done well off the field.
There must be some rule saying that MSU can't give extensions after the 2018 season, because making the decision then would've worked just as well, and protected MSU if Choach tanked in 2018.

Hmmmmm. Well this is the 36th reference you've made to that so I think it's about time for me to help you out with an analogy, so you stop obsessing about it and sleep at night. I'm here for ya CDA! :D

Let's say a law firm hires a trial lawyer fresh out of law school. They tell him right off the bat
he's going to get thrown into the fire and have a bunch of tough cases right off the bat. They also really want to test him so they're not going to offer up a bunch of resources but rather just tell him to figure it out on his own. They also say that they don't ever want him to lose a case against their rival firm Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe.

That first year is pretty rough as the new lawyer is learning the ropes. He loses several cases, but wins a few and towards the end of the year he wins a very large case against the rival law firm.

Second year is better, lawyer is getting better and winning more cases, but still not winning enough of them. However, the partners meet and all agree they can see something special in this new guy. They see he's going about trials the right way in terms of putting all the pieces together, finding the star witnesses, prepping, and they see that he's working very hard on doing whatever it takes to win every case. The trials he's losing are very close and could have gone either way. They see how the jurors are responding to him (A Few Good Men), and they are impressed. To end the year they watch him yet again go up against the rival in a land mark case and win it.

Review time comes around and they ask him if he's going to win more cases than he loses in the upcoming year. With confidence he tells them absolutely yes. He is building relationships, finding valuable resources, and gaining a solid reputation all around the country. He also by now has enough experience to understand exactly what it takes to win every trial and he is confident in his ability to do that.

So the partners meet and talk it over. They contact several lawyers that he's gone up against and nearly all of them say that he's a star on the rise and they don't really want to go up against him again. They give him a huge raise and make him partner because they realize what they have and they don't want another law firm to steal him away.

What would you do, write him up for not winning more ? lol

Correction. The University of Montana is Montana's Flagship institution. Montana State University is Montana's land grant college. Flagship University's like Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Colorado were established to aid each state's professional growth with doctors, lawyers, bankers,accountants, and teachers. Land grant colleges (known as ag schools) like Washington State, Idaho State, and Colorado State were established to aid in the growth of corn, wheat, and cattle.

bigsky33 said:
HookedonGriz said:
bigsky33 said:
cmtgrizzly said:

Hahahah thank you for taking the time to spend SO MUCH TIME over here on your rivals' website to share these thoughts....of your not caring...and lack of concerns. Your facts on Big Play VA are more accurate 😂

mondayamqb said:
Correction. The University of Montana is Montana's Flagship institution. Montana State University is Montana's land grant college. Flagship University's like Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Colorado were established to aid each state's professional growth with doctors, lawyers, accountants, and teachers. Land grant colleges like Washington State, Idaho State, and Colorado state were established to aid in the growth of corn, wheat, and cattle.

Whatever you have to tell yourself. I guess it's telling that UM ended up with the lawyers, while the state's best teachers and accountants attend the school that was founded for Montana's #1 Industry.

HookedonGriz said:
bigsky33 said:
HookedonGriz said:
bigsky33 said:

Hahahah thank you for taking the time to spend SO MUCH TIME over here on your rivals' website to share these thoughts....of your not caring...and lack of concerns. Your facts on Big Play VA are more accurate 😂

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that in a "least amount of care" contest, the one who has posted 25 times on a rival team's board about how little he cares loses. It's Rule No. 1 in the Official Handbook.

MTCowpoke said:
mondayamqb said:
Correction. The University of Montana is Montana's Flagship institution. Montana State University is Montana's land grant college. Flagship University's like Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Colorado were established to aid each state's professional growth with doctors, lawyers, accountants, and teachers. Land grant colleges like Washington State, Idaho State, and Colorado state were established to aid in the growth of corn, wheat, and cattle.

Whatever you have to tell yourself.

Back at ya, lil' bro.

MTCowpoke said:
mondayamqb said:

Whatever you have to tell yourself. I guess it's telling that UM ended up with the lawyers, while the state's best teachers and accountants attend the school that was founded for Montana's #1 Industry.

According to who? You?
US News and World Report ranks U of Montana ahead of Bozeman State for High School Counseling Programs (#177 vs #207), Business Programs (#151 vs #249) and Graduate Education Programs (#134 vs unranked)

Come on man!

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
MTCowpoke said:
mondayamqb said:

According to who? You?
US News and World Report ranks U of Montana ahead of Bozeman State for High School Counseling Programs (#177 vs #207), Business Programs (#151 vs #249) and Graduate Education Programs (#134 vs unranked)

Come on man!

UM is sinking into obscurity while MSU is approaching 17,000 students and climbing.

When one considers the historical legacies of recent cat coaches such as Earle “the Pearl” Solomonson’s and Cliff Hysell’s winning percentages of .273 and .466, respectfully, there really is no other option but to early-extend a coach with a .364 winning percentage. It’s part of their culture, and culture trumps logic and reason every time.

Ursa Major said:
When one considers the historical legacies of recent cat coaches such as Earle “the Pearl” Solomonson’s and Cliff Hysell’s winning percentages of .273 and .466, respectfully, there really is no other option but to early-extend a coach with a .364 winning percentage. It’s part of their culture, and culture trumps logic and reason every time.

He was a good enough inexperienced head coach to beat the Griz two years in a row! He out coached the guy you all touted as a football genius when he was hired.

bigsky33 said:
Ursa Major said:

He was a good enough inexperienced head coach to beat the Griz two years in a row! He out coached the guy you all touted as a football genius when he was hired.

And . . . bring it back . . . all together now: "What. Happened. To. That. Griz. Coach?"

Back