• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Aussie Aussie Aussie C- Ben Carter Signs

We've had some success with Australian recruits lately so hopefully that pipeline pays dividends again. Interested to see what direction we go with that last scholly.

Moves pretty good for a big guy. I like his vision on some of his passes coming off pick and rolls. I think this could be a good pick up

Watched the highlights a number of time and I think the man bun is fine, the size is a good thing, but just not seeing D1.

HookedonGriz said:
Moves pretty good for a big guy. I like his vision on some of his passes coming off pick and rolls. I think this could be a good pick up
The young man looks quite skilled and is a good passer. His Aussie stats show he is a very good rebounder but needs work on free throw shooting. I am glad he is going to be a Griz. :thumb:

Kudos to our staff. It was worth the wait. Let me count the ways.
1. Size! Nuff said. Not only height, but bulk. I agree with others here, he could stand to lose 20 pounds and chisel that frame (hello Champions Center.) But for all the changes in basketball, I still think center is the second most important position on the court, after point guard, because you can't score if if you can't rebound. This kids looks to have some athleticism and will set some wicked picks. Question is, will he contribute anything next year. We sure could use him, but balance that against the fact bigs often need more time to develop. We'll see.
2. Surprise! I told you our next signee would be off the radar screen--just didn't realize it would be this far off. But that's this staff. Player procurement is of high importance in any sport at any level, and this staff has a knack for finding the kids who are D1 talents but just below the radar screen, even Mslacat's! Remember the coach at Vandy who told Oguine he was not a D1 talent? Or Egun, whose light recruitment remains a mystery to me? As for young Mr.Carter, a 6'10" kid with his talent would be a tough get for us if he were from an American high school. Sure, any recruit is a gamble, but I think our staff has once again found a gem.
3. Australia! So happy to re-establish that pipeline. St. Mary's has built a franchise on Australian kids, who are now popping up in programs throughout the country. They're generally well-schooled, and don't back down from anybody--a la Andrew Bogut, one of the toughest guys to take the court, and the Warriors's enforcer through their early years of their success.
4. Krslovic! Was this his final assist? Can't believe he didn't play a major role here. If so, what a great gift to his alma mater.
5. Name! Ben Carter--sounds like a gunslinger. Get ready for some major shootouts.

Really really good get. This guy moves his feet. He can hedge well, which is what Fab did so well. He can shoot and I love that he gets rid of the ball when he gets it in the post. That’s what kills us some times down low is holding the ball. If you have the corner...go up. The kid might see PT this year although he would really do well as a RS. Impressed with this find

rosco said:
Watched the highlights a number of time and I think the man bun is fine, the size is a good thing, but just not seeing D1.
Thank fucking God you aren't involved in our recruiting efforts. He's a taller, slightly more skilled Krutwig from Loyola Chicago.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Well said [emoji108]
mtgrizfankb said:
Really really good get. This guy moves his feet. He can hedge well, which is what Fab did so well. He can shoot and I love that he gets rid of the ball when he gets it in the post. That’s what kills us some times down low is holding the ball. If you have the corner...go up. The kid might see PT this year although he would really do well as a RS. Impressed with this find

casewinter13 said:
rosco said:
Thank f***[*] God you aren't involved in our recruiting efforts. He's a taller, slightly more skilled Krutwig from Loyola Chicago.

He does kind of remind of Krutwig at least offensively. He has good touch and knows how to position his big body in the post. Not sure if he can consistently knock it down from 3, his highlights of him making one or two could be fools gold or could be a sign. His biggest problem is going to be defensively. I question his athleticism and ability to move his feet on switches. Ideally you would like to redshirt this kid to get him into your training program. He needs to lose a little weight but can’t teach size. If are able to redshirt him and Anderson that would amazing as both are great developmental pieces but I think one of them is going to have to play unless Peter Jones is able to contribute instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The comparison is easy being an Australian. Man, he seems like a Fab 2.0. Not over athletic but super smart and does all the little things. I could see him having to play this year just like Fab did as a Freshman. Not Ideal but based on need/lack of depth. He

casewinter13 said:
][/quote said:
Thank f***[*] God you aren't involved in our recruiting efforts. He's a taller, slightly more skilled Krutwig from Loyola Chicago.

So you must be the team recruiting expert. Apparently only POSITIVE comments wanted, not real opinions.

dayday said:
casewinter13 said:
rosco said:

He does kind of remind of Krutwig at least offensively. He has good touch and knows how to position his big body in the post. Not sure if he can consistently knock it down from 3, his highlights of him making one or two could be fools gold or could be a sign. His biggest problem is going to be defensively. I question his athleticism and ability to move his feet on switches. Ideally you would like to redshirt this kid to get him into your training program. He needs to lose a little weight but can’t teach size. If are able to redshirt him and Anderson that would amazing as both are great developmental pieces but I think one of them is going to have to play unless Peter Jones is able to contribute instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I obviously didn't follow him over an entire season but I've seen 3 different scouting reports that all said he has range out to 21 feet and that he is deadly in pick and pop and pick n roll, so apparently hasn't been fools good up to this point. As for defensively, he definitely needs to reshape his body, but if you don't think he has good feet, you're just not watching. He actually has very good feet and decent lateral quickness for a guy that size/shape. His hangups defensively are his conditioning and simply carrying 15+ lbs he doesn't need, not lack of feet.

For this team? No... Opinions grounded in reality and knowledge always appreciated, whether positive or negative. I don't go on sites critiquing electricians and share my wildly uninformed opinion. Knowing your limitations is a good thing [emoji108] By the way, no one is stifling your right to an opinion, you're just being called out because you clearly don't evaluate basketball players well. I'm just sharing my opinion of your opinion, it's not personal :)
rosco said:
casewinter13 said:
][/quote said:

So you must be the team recruiting expert. Apparently only POSITIVE comments wanted, not real opinions.

Back