• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana vs North Dakota - 1941 Program

Dutch Lane said:
Great to see Eso featured my old man graduated high school with him. He was in ROTC at UM and was commissioned shortly after Pearl Harbor. He was with some of the first US troops to be killed in WW2 at the battle of the Kasserine Pass in the Atlas Mountains in Tunisia. And of course the Butte High stadium named after him. Harry Adams and Jigs Dahlberg on the same staff. You must have a great wife. :thumb:

Yep growing up in Butte I've heard many awesome stories on Naranche. He was invited and played in
the East-West Shrine game in New Orleansxas one of the top college players. He was killed shortly after in WW2. So glad Naranche Stadium honored his life and name

'68griz said:
My mom was a junior at Montana at this time. I'd bet she attended this game. She often spoke of several of the players pictured in the program. What a find by your wife!

That is pretty cool. Thanks for the kind words!

Sorry I don’t think I was clear. Eso was in ROTC and after Pearl Harbor he commissioned as 2nd lt. in the Army. He was fighting with the first American troops to face the Nazis in WW2 and was tragically killed at the Kasserine Pass. I understood it was quite a shock to Butte and the UM community at the time because the guy was thought to be invincible, such a great athlete to have been selected for the Shrine game. Probably one of the best to ever play for the Griz just never got a chance to play professionally like Milt Popovich another Butte/Griz great.

Looks like we had quite the recruiting pipeline to Prosser Washington! Looks like that has dried up, probably Stitt's fault.

hooked: If ever you decide to let go of it there's probably space to include it with the ones I donated to the athletic department back when they were seeking memorabilia for the new trophy cases in the Adams Center. Mine came courtesy of former Griz coach Ted Shipkey (1949-1951) when they moved from our Pattee Canyon neighborhood. I wound up with more than a hundred college and pro programs including a handful from long defunct teams like the old Brooklyn (football) Dodgers plus Army- Navy games from the 40's and 50's. Eventually allowed cash-in-hand collectors to cherry pick the best ones.

Silvertip said:
hooked: If ever you decide to let go of it there's probably space to include it with the ones I donated to the athletic department back when they were seeking memorabilia for the new trophy cases in the Adams Center. Mine came courtesy of former Griz coach Ted Shipkey (1949-1951) when they moved from our Pattee Canyon neighborhood. I wound up with more than a hundred college and pro programs including a handful from long defunct teams like the old Brooklyn (football) Dodgers plus Army- Navy games from the 40's and 50's. Eventually allowed cash-in-hand collectors to cherry pick the best ones.

Thank you for that information. I probably will eventually do something like that with it. That is super cool that you did that and I bet you had some absolute gems

HookedonGriz said:
Silvertip said:

Thank you for that information. I probably will eventually do something like that with it. That is super cool that you did that and I bet you had some absolute gems

Scratch the 50's...brain fade. The Shipkeys headed back to Cali shortly after his canning. Yah, I had some doozies including programs from a few bowl games back when getting into one carried some credibility.

AllWeatherFan said:
So...did we beat NDU that day?

Yep looks like they pulled it out and won 13 to 6 and then went on to beat Idaho the next week

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1941_Montana_Grizzlies_football_team

AllWeatherFan said:
HookedonGriz said:
AllWeatherFan said:
So...did we beat NDU that day?
Yep looks like they pulled it out and won 13 to 6 and then went on to beat Idaho the next week

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1941_Montana_Grizzlies_football_team
Yes! :thumb:
For those who don't want to click through, those Griz also won over the kitties, 23-13. Played in Butte, according to the post.

Many don’t realize that “Pushing” and “Crawling” used to be 5yard penalties.

The infractions stemmed from the Choate-led prank where Traitorak would surreptitiously crawl up behind a player while Mr Choade pushed the unsuspecting player over Traitorak’s back. Luckily, these dangerous and sophomoric antics are no longer a part of the game, although you should never talk to either of them alone at the annual picnic unless both are in sight.

Also, the signal for the “crawling or pushing” foul, as so aptly demonstrated by the Philip Morris kid, was derived from Mr Choad’s typical reaction following the prank—he simply would shrug his shoulders

garizzalies said:
Many don’t realize that “Pushing” and “Crawling” used to be 5yard penalties.

The infractions stemmed from the Choate-led prank where Traitorak would surreptitiously crawl up behind a player while Mr Choade pushed the unsuspecting player over Traitorak’s back. Luckily, these dangerous and sophomoric antics are no longer a part of the game, although you should never talk to either of them alone at the annual picnic unless both are in sight.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back