• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Tell me about Montana State

kemajic said:
hokeyfine said:
kemajic said:
hokeyfine said:
Their science programs are subpar at best. there are pockets of good scientists, but they are going to need to put some money into them if they want to compete with msu science as a whole.
Total BS. Life sciences, chemistry/biochem and math are top notch and prepare grads for research graduate schools quite well. They are more independent and not beholding to teaching engineers. Chemistry at MSU is in the hip pocket of CEng, limiting its research reach. Math is applied for likes of the Eng. Depts., with little advances in theory. There are some advantages to not having Engineering at UM.
im talking at the graduate level. for undergraduates it does ok. ive experienced the sciences at both institutions and will stand by my observations.
The primary role of both institutions is undergraduate; neither are even in the game of the major US graduate programs.
i agree. i wasn't comparing them to cal tech. it is my experience with the sciences at both schools that msu is far above um in stem programs. im sorry, but the chemistry program at um is terrible. it has no facilities or research to benefit undergrads.

SACCAT66 said:
VandalPride97 said:
Stepping away from bantering with the Griz, I'd like to know more about Montana State and why their fans are on our board claiming to be in the top 3% for higher education in the world. I always thought they sort of sucked in general and were second fiddle to the Griz. Discuss.

It is known for it's Engineering, Agriculture, Architect, and Business schools.

I can't tell if this is heavily veiled sarcasm or delusions of grandeur, but I did laugh a little. As Oredigger mentioned earlier, MSU is the second best engineering school in the state, and this is the first time I've ever heard any acclamation for the MSU business school.

Jaredkuehn said:
SACCAT66 said:
VandalPride97 said:
Stepping away from bantering with the Griz, I'd like to know more about Montana State and why their fans are on our board claiming to be in the top 3% for higher education in the world. I always thought they sort of sucked in general and were second fiddle to the Griz. Discuss.

It is known for it's Engineering, Agriculture, Architect, and Business schools.

I can't tell if this is heavily veiled sarcasm or delusions of grandeur, but I did laugh a little. As Oredigger mentioned earlier, MSU is the second best engineering school in the state, and this is the first time I've ever heard any acclamation for the MSU business school.

They just opened up the Jake Jabbs School of Business ( you can thank his daughter for the 25Million donation)...I didn't say it was the best in the world, but the facilities and the teachers are pretty top notch. My wife graduated with a business major, with marketing minor. A lot of Tech companies here in Bozeman are looking for more and more business school grads.

Students graduating from MSU with degrees in Chemistry, BioChem, and the Engineering and Architecture fields are heavily recruited upon graduation. They land good, high paying jobs upon graduation. This success has attracted record enrollments the past few years at MSU. Enrollment will probably surpass 17,000 this fall.

At Montana, enrollment has suffered greatly. It has been on a downward spiral. Also, recruitment of Montana graduates by businesses has been in decline. The former business segment, fast foods, that was the major recruiter of UM graduates, has now gone heavily into automation with self-ordering, eliminating the need for those talented UM graduates with change making skills.

Also,with UM not keeping pace with the changing needs in the business world, has seen its Journalism school diminish as newspapers are dying. Also, with newspapers going in the direction of fake news, journalists are no longer needed.

However, now that Bobby Hauck is back as head football coach, it is expected that these negative trends at UM will be reversed.

SACCAT66 said:
VandalPride97 said:

Montana State is located in Bozeman Montana...It has an enrollment of about 16K students. It is known for it's Engineering, Agriculture, Architect, and Business schools. It won it's last championship in 1984, but there is no video evidence of this, so it probably didn't happen. Bozeman is a town named after a crappy trail that lead to Oregon, or Washington...the Football stadium holds about 17.5K people, but most are bandwagon fans. It has an amazing swimming pool to the south west of the stadium, and a trail that is made of tears that leads to the north east...MSU is known for there propensity for being Preseason champs in Football, but also has basketball teams that wear jerseys and everything, it is pretty neat. MSU doesn't have a QB that can throw it past the Center, but somehow (Because of Stitt and Semore) has beaten The University of Montana the last two years.

Pretty much sums it up.

It's so interesting to me that you can tell which fans went to UM/MSU and got something out of it versus which fans just like football.

I am close friends with three graduates of the esteemed MSU Engineering program. Their current professions are as follow: night janitor, seasonal landscaper, and part-time DJ. Between the three their average hourly wage is around $16/hour. Examples like this abound among MSU graduates.

hokeyfine said:
kemajic said:
hokeyfine said:
kemajic said:
Total BS. Life sciences, chemistry/biochem and math are top notch and prepare grads for research graduate schools quite well. They are more independent and not beholding to teaching engineers. Chemistry at MSU is in the hip pocket of CEng, limiting its research reach. Math is applied for likes of the Eng. Depts., with little advances in theory. There are some advantages to not having Engineering at UM.
im talking at the graduate level. for undergraduates it does ok. ive experienced the sciences at both institutions and will stand by my observations.
The primary role of both institutions is undergraduate; neither are even in the game of the major US graduate programs.
i agree. i wasn't comparing them to cal tech. it is my experience with the sciences at both schools that msu is far above um in stem programs. im sorry, but the chemistry program at um is terrible. it has no facilities or research to benefit undergrads.
Now you are exposing your lack of analyics regarding UM sciences and veering into my center. I spent two summers full time and two academic years part time doing research in chemistry, which not only produced publications, but enabled a grad fellowship to a PAC10 institution resulting in a PhD in 4 years. I am not the exception, as most UM chem graduates find themselves at advantage relative to other graduates in the competitive grad environment. It's inferiority is in the graduate programs, not its undergraduate programs. I spent a career recruiting chemistry students so had exposure to a lot of University undergrad programs. The bigger schools focused on their grad programs and their undergrad programs were there to provide the means. At Montana the focus has always been on undergraduate and do that very well. I have no idea where you got the idea that undergraduate research is not available at Montana. Fake News.

BozAngelesGriz said:
I am close friends with three graduates of the esteemed MSU Engineering program. Their current professions are as follow: night janitor, seasonal landscaper, and part-time DJ. Between the three their average hourly wage is around $16/hour. Examples like this abound among MSU graduates.

I am sure you can find these situation with graduates with in demand degrees from any college or university including the most prestigious ivy league or engineering schools. If you have an engineering degree and you are working in the jobs your friends have, I question their motivations.

bigsky33 said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

I am sure you can find these situation with graduates with in demand degrees from any college or university including the most prestigious ivy league or engineering schools. If you have an engineering degree and you are working in the jobs your friends have, I question their motivations.

You think there is a proportionate amount of Ivy-League engineering grads working shit jobs as there are in Bozeman, eh?

BozAngelesGriz said:
bigsky33 said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

You think there is a proportionate amount of Ivy-League engineering grads working shit jobs as there are in Bozeman, eh?

How would you ever quantify that? I would think it would be greatly influenced by the job market in the area. Bozeman does have a good number of engineering jobs in the area but it is still very limited compared to a great many other areas in the Country. If an engineering grad wants to stay in Bozeman, than opportunities are very limited. I know quite of few MSU engineering grads that had between 5 and 10 job offers at graduation. Yes, most of them required relocation.

bigsky33 said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
bigsky33 said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

How would you ever quantify that? I would think it would be greatly influenced by the job market in the area. Bozeman does have a good number of engineering jobs in the area but it is still very limited compared to a great many other areas in the Country. If an engineering grad wants to stay in Bozeman, than opportunities are very limited. I know quite of few MSU engineering grads that had between 5 and 10 job offers at graduation. Yes, most of them required relocation.
Maybe the guys that Bozangeles is referring to want to continue their glamping lifestyle or have a local time share on a yurt?

Ursa Major said:
bigsky33 said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
bigsky33 said:

Maybe the guys that Bozangeles is referring to want to continue their glamping lifestyle or have a local time share on a yurt?

They probably only got engineering degrees because it was stipulated in their Trust Funds...Now they are "Living like common people" until their parents decide they have seen enough of the "Real World" and need to get a real job. At that time they will all get together and go in on a local bar/restaurant that charges $40 for a steak.

AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
SACCAT66 said:
VandalPride97 said:

Montana State is located in Bozeman Montana...It has an enrollment of about 16K students. It is known for it's Engineering, Agriculture, Architect, and Business schools. It won it's last championship in 1984, but there is no video evidence of this, so it probably didn't happen. Bozeman is a town named after a crappy trail that lead to Oregon, or Washington...the Football stadium holds about 17.5K people, but most are bandwagon fans. It has an amazing swimming pool to the south west of the stadium, and a trail that is made of tears that leads to the north east...MSU is known for there propensity for being Preseason champs in Football, but also has basketball teams that wear jerseys and everything, it is pretty neat. MSU doesn't have a QB that can throw it past the Center, but somehow (Because of Stitt and Semore) has beaten The University of Montana the last two years.

I don’t normally do this but I gotta here, only cus it came from a cat fan. Post of the year nomination.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Second the nomination. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gold, SACCAT. I'll just add POTY so the acronym hits Ursa's search at year's end. I wish you the best of luck, and would like to see you at the table at the Champion's Dinner in January.

When I went to UM, I was convinced Missoula had the worst traffic in MT. Malfunction Junction!
Now, it’s clearly Blowsmen. Sometimes I have to commute there from Butte. On good roads, I can usually make it in an hour (exit to exit). However, it takes almost 45 mins on 19th Street, or more depending on the time of day.
It’s becoming such a rat race that those poor bastards are starting to spill over into Butte, and ruin it here too! Seriously, I know a realtor in town and he said he’s never seen it like this summer before, and he specifically blamed Bozo’s.
Cat People won’t rest until they ruin the state. I think we need to build a wall on top of Homestake Pass

SACCAT66 said:
Ursa Major said:
bigsky33 said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

They probably only got engineering degrees because it was stipulated in their Trust Funds...Now they are "Living like common people" until their parents decide they have seen enough of the "Real World" and need to get a real job. At that time they will all get together and go in on a local bar/restaurant that charges $40 for a steak.

So true it’s painful, actually. It’s tough to afford a Sprinter van without a little help from your folks!

SACCAT66 said:
Ursa Major said:
bigsky33 said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

So true it’s painful, actually. It’s tough to afford a Sprinter van without a little help from your folks!

garizzalies said:
When I went to UM, I was convinced Missoula had the worst traffic in MT. Malfunction Junction!
Now, it’s clearly Blowsmen. Sometimes I have to commute there from Butte. On good roads, I can usually make it in an hour (exit to exit). However, it takes almost 45 mins on 19th Street, or more depending on the time of day.
It’s becoming such a rat race that those poor bastards are starting to spill over into Butte, and ruin it here too! Seriously, I know a realtor in town and he said he’s never seen it like this summer before, and he specifically blamed Bozo’s.
Cat People won’t rest until they ruin the state. I think we need to build a wall on top of Homestake Pass

How is Bozeman suppose to greyhound bus the homeless from here to Butte if you build a wall...FYI we use to do that, before we decided we are to rich to have a Greyhound bus stop anymore.

bigsky33 said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

My nephew, who was born and raised in Missoula, graduated from the MSU engineering department (He wore his Griz gear all around campus. You gotta love it, but, I digress) and was part of the group who built the satellite that was launched into space. After graduation, he moved to San Diego (nice town) and worked for NASA. He was recently hired away from NASA for big money, and moved to Capistrano Beach (another decent town) by....................The Apple Corp. I guess it depends on who you talk to.

SACCAT66 said:
Ursa Major said:
bigsky33 said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

Back