• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Tell me about Montana State

SACCAT66 said:
garizzalies said:
When I went to UM, I was convinced Missoula had the worst traffic in MT. Malfunction Junction!
Now, it’s clearly Blowsmen. Sometimes I have to commute there from Butte. On good roads, I can usually make it in an hour (exit to exit). However, it takes almost 45 mins on 19th Street, or more depending on the time of day.
It’s becoming such a rat race that those poor bastards are starting to spill over into Butte, and ruin it here too! Seriously, I know a realtor in town and he said he’s never seen it like this summer before, and he specifically blamed Bozo’s.
Cat People won’t rest until they ruin the state. I think we need to build a wall on top of Homestake Pass

How is Bozeman suppose to greyhound bus the homeless from here to Butte if you build a wall...FYI we use to do that, before we decided we are to rich to have a Greyhound bus stop anymore.
Butte has a similar practice, but we would never waste a good greyhound seat like that. Instead, a local policeman told me they routinely drive the bums up to the top of the pass and drop them off at the rest area up there to hitch-hike to Bozo. No joke! So the wall would make perfect sense—just drive ‘em up there and throw ‘em over the wall!

Silvertip said:
griznative24 said:
kemajic said:
grizpsych said:
Montana State is a great tech school. There strengths are in AG and Geological sciences/engineering. Excluding AG though, they are on par with Montana and Montana has more to offer at both the undergraduate and graduate level. Their true strength lies in promoting themselves to Montana students that don't want to leave Montana. Frankly, Montana needs to push their Journalism, English, Forestry, and Law School/programs better.
Actually Montana needs to push their sciences programs better.

As a Geography grad, this x 1000

Making you proficient at folding a road map...always knew I picked the wrong major.

Not only can I fold it, I can read it

hokeyfine said:
ah yes, and if the griz would have tied their 69 and/or 70 games and been voted national champion(they voted national champion during this time) it would have also been mythical? :lol:
If football had never been invented, then neither school would have any national titles. So what?

garizzalies said:
...a local policeman told me they routinely drive the bums up to the top of the pass and drop them off at the rest area up there to hitch-hike to Bozo. No joke!...

No shit. Reality, back in the day. I did the same thing(nothing to do with Bozeman or MSU), cuff 'em, stuff 'em, drive 'em out of town and point to the direction they should go. Come back, its do not pass go, go directly to jail. Get the fuck out, and don't come back! History lesson for the uninformed. You're welcome! :cool:

tourist said:
garizzalies said:
...a local policeman told me they routinely drive the bums up to the top of the pass and drop them off at the rest area up there to hitch-hike to Bozo. No joke!...

No shit. Reality, back in the day. I did the same thing(nothing to do with Bozeman or MSU), cuff 'em, stuff 'em, drive 'em out of town and point to the direction they should go. Come back, its do not pass go, go directly to jail. Get the f*** out, and don't come back! History lesson for the uninformed. You're welcome! :cool:

Were you a cop?

garizzalies said:
When I went to UM, I was convinced Missoula had the worst traffic in MT. Malfunction Junction!
Now, it’s clearly Blowsmen. Sometimes I have to commute there from Butte. On good roads, I can usually make it in an hour (exit to exit). However, it takes almost 45 mins on 19th Street, or more depending on the time of day.
It’s becoming such a rat race that those poor bastards are starting to spill over into Butte, and ruin it here too! Seriously, I know a realtor in town and he said he’s never seen it like this summer before, and he specifically blamed Bozo’s.
Cat People won’t rest until they ruin the state. I think we need to build a wall on top of Homestake Pass

Yah, like the people who have lived in Bozeman for a long time really want all of this growth. It is the price we pay when we live in a beautiful place. Kalispell and Whitefish are experiencing the same thing. Missoula is also growing very fast. If you want to blame someone for it, look to California. The crazy liberals out there are pushing all the people with money out and their moving to Montana.

Grizlaw said:
hokeyfine said:
ah yes, and if the griz would have tied their 69 and/or 70 games and been voted national champion(they voted national champion during this time) it would have also been mythical? :lol:
If football had never been invented, then neither school would have any national titles. So what?

Montana State would still have around 26 National Collegiate Rodeo titles.

As a lifelong resident of Missoula and Bozeman, I have long come to following conclusion:

Montana fans = dumbasses who are convinced they are better than you at football
Montana State fans = crybabies who are convinced they are better than you at life

Missoula = full of yuppies and hippies who ski and fish
Bozeman = full of yuppies and hippies who ski and fish

Grizlaw said:
hokeyfine said:

you're not quite getting the argument. if the griz had won either/both of those titles, would there still be the talk of msu's "mythical" title by UM fans? since each schools titles would have been awarded based on voting.

kemajic said:
hokeyfine said:
kemajic said:
hokeyfine said:
im talking at the graduate level. for undergraduates it does ok. ive experienced the sciences at both institutions and will stand by my observations.
The primary role of both institutions is undergraduate; neither are even in the game of the major US graduate programs.
i agree. i wasn't comparing them to cal tech. it is my experience with the sciences at both schools that msu is far above um in stem programs. im sorry, but the chemistry program at um is terrible. it has no facilities or research to benefit undergrads.
Now you are exposing your lack of analyics regarding UM sciences and veering into my center. I spent two summers full time and two academic years part time doing research in chemistry, which not only produced publications, but enabled a grad fellowship to a PAC10 institution resulting in a PhD in 4 years. I am not the exception, as most UM chem graduates find themselves at advantage relative to other graduates in the competitive grad environment. It's inferiority is in the graduate programs, not its undergraduate programs. I spent a career recruiting chemistry students so had exposure to a lot of University undergrad programs. The bigger schools focused on their grad programs and their undergrad programs were there to provide the means. At Montana the focus has always been on undergraduate and do that very well. I have no idea where you got the idea that undergraduate research is not available at Montana. Fake News.
never said that undergraduate research wasn't available. i said the facilites are poor at best.

SACCAT66 said:
Jaredkuehn said:
SACCAT66 said:
VandalPride97 said:
Stepping away from bantering with the Griz, I'd like to know more about Montana State and why their fans are on our board claiming to be in the top 3% for higher education in the world. I always thought they sort of sucked in general and were second fiddle to the Griz. Discuss.

It is known for it's Engineering, Agriculture, Architect, and Business schools.

I can't tell if this is heavily veiled sarcasm or delusions of grandeur, but I did laugh a little. As Oredigger mentioned earlier, MSU is the second best engineering school in the state, and this is the first time I've ever heard any acclamation for the MSU business school.

They just opened up the Jake Jabbs School of Business ( you can thank his daughter for the 25Million donation)...I didn't say it was the best in the world, but the facilities and the teachers are pretty top notch. My wife graduated with a business major, with marketing minor. A lot of Tech companies here in Bozeman are looking for more and more business school grads.

Saccat, with all due respect I cannot find MSU's COB on any awards list, best of lists...nothing. The Jake Jabbs website doesn't even list a single accolade that they have earned. Really? They are "known" for their business school?

Meanwhile, the UM COB is getting prepared to celebrate their Centennial in September. The accounting department is consistently recognized as one of the best in the region and is recruited heavily by the worlds most prestigious accounting firms. US News and World Report regularly recognizes UM's COB as one of the of best in the region. UM COB has nearly double the alumni and I would argue higher profile alumni than MSU COB.

As an intensely proud graduate of UM's Business-Finance program (oh yeah, my wife has her Masters of Accountancy from UM) I call BS on your comment that MSU is "known" for their business school. UM is head and shoulders above MSU when comparing colleges of business.

You have a beautiful new building, and good for you for being proud of it. MSU has good agriculture and engineering programs, I'll give you that. MSU has made a very annoying habit of falsely exaggerating their academics lately, and I won't let it continue without challenging it.

Happy Friday!

http://www.montana.edu/business/news/articles/1064431082.html

Old article but you get the point.

I understood that both schools actually do pretty good by this measure compared to the rest of the nation for the past 25 years but MSU has been better. Pretty good for two small schools in a small state.

Found data a couple of years ago to support, but am struggling now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MTCowpoke said:
Grizlaw said:
hokeyfine said:

UM would still have its ncaa handball national championship. See team photo on wall at Mo Club. They had a very famous coach.

MTCowpoke said:
Grizlaw said:
hokeyfine said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Good one!

tourist said:
garizzalies said:

No shit. Reality, back in the day. I did the same thing(nothing to do with Bozeman or MSU), cuff 'em, stuff 'em, drive 'em out of town and point to the direction they should go. Come back, its do not pass go, go directly to jail. Get the fuck out, and don't come back! History lesson for the uninformed. You're welcome! :cool:

Sounds like y’all watched a little too much “First Blood”....

Back