• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Tell me about Montana State

hokeyfine said:
kemajic said:
hokeyfine said:
kemajic said:
The primary role of both institutions is undergraduate; neither are even in the game of the major US graduate programs.
i agree. i wasn't comparing them to cal tech. it is my experience with the sciences at both schools that msu is far above um in stem programs. im sorry, but the chemistry program at um is terrible. it has no facilities or research to benefit undergrads.
Now you are exposing your lack of analytics regarding UM sciences and veering into my center. I spent two summers full time and two academic years part time doing research in chemistry, which not only produced publications, but enabled a grad fellowship to a PAC10 institution resulting in a PhD in 4 years. I am not the exception, as most UM chem graduates find themselves at advantage relative to other graduates in the competitive grad environment. It's inferiority is in the graduate programs, not its undergraduate programs. I spent a career recruiting chemistry students so had exposure to a lot of University undergrad programs. The bigger schools focused on their grad programs and their undergrad programs were there to provide the means. At Montana the focus has always been on undergraduate and do that very well. I have no idea where you got the idea that undergraduate research is not available at Montana. Fake News.
never said that undergraduate research wasn't available. i said the facilites are poor at best.
You said, "the chemistry program at UM is terrible. It has no facilities or research to benefit undergrads." I call BS. The chemistry building is old, yes; undergraduate research continues. UM chemistry grads are excellent candidates for graduate programs in chemistry. Better prepared for advanced degrees (necessary in chemistry) than most, including MSU. To quote, I had to correct your spelling and punctuation, surprisingly poor for someone so experienced in science at both schools. Ever publish any scientific articles?

WTF is an “agricultural program?” I’ve heard MSU has a great ag program and I don’t get the joke. Is it part of the football program? Or the rodeo clown program? It’s not like a farmer needs to be taught how to spread shit. Maybe they get a tractor driving certificate?

garizzalies said:
If you’ve ever met Mr Choatee, he seems to always have some mustard in the corner of his Goatee.

This is honestly the best description of him I've ever read. Definitely looks like he's caught his fair share of bratwursts with his shirt. Seems like a happy fella.

garizzalies said:
If you’ve ever met Mr Choatee, he seems to always have some mustard in the corner of his Goatee.

I have met Choate a number of times. Think he's great. No mustard. Great wife. Nice kids.

Of the naysayers, which of you has actually met Choate? Just curious.

PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:

I have met Choate a number of times. Think he's great. No mustard. Great wife. Nice kids.

Of the naysayers, which of you has actually met Choate? Just curious.

I've definitely never met him, and I have no reason to doubt he's a great guy. But he's a Cat, and I have to assume he rolls brat 'stard on his shirts because it's funny to me. I have no problem admitting that I wouldn't mind if he was the Griz coach, but I wouldn't be too happy with his record. I think we have the better bratroller.

Coach Choachella would be a good defensive coordinator for the Griz. I think he’s more effective when he focuses on one thing at a time and doesn’t multi-task.

Also, I met somebody once who knows Choatche.

garizzalies said:

That's actually not mustard. Being from Idaho, most believe Coachote is actually wearing Fry Sauce. Idaho's only contribution to gastronomy. It took the top researchers at the University of Idaho 8 years to figure out the ratio of mayonnaise to ketchup. :roll:

Grizlaw said:
hokeyfine said:
ah yes, and if the griz would have tied their 69 and/or 70 games and been voted national champion(they voted national champion during this time) it would have also been mythical? :lol:
If football had never been invented, then neither school would have any national titles. So what?

Holy shit!! A Grizlaw sighting!!

Ursa Major said:
garizzalies said:

That's actually not mustard. Being from Idaho, most believe Coachote is actually wearing Fry Sauce. Idaho's only contribution to gastronomy. It took the top researchers at the University of Idaho 8 years to figure out the ratio of mayonnaise to ketchup. :roll:

Wow. I’ve been laboring under the delusion that Idaho’s only gastro contributions were in the form of the fabled waffle fries. I would have sworn the stuff you’re describing was McDonalds special sauce.

bgbigdog said:
Ursa Major said:
garizzalies said:

Wow. I’ve been laboring under the delusion that Idaho’s only gastro contributions were in the form of the fabled waffle fries. I would have sworn the stuff you’re describing was McDonalds special sauce.

Shhh...It is, Bigdog. The idahoans think they stumbled on it in the mid-70’s.

I’m not a fan of mayonnaise, or for that matter any white sauce on food that was not prepared by my own hands. The problem is they push it on you like Pablo Escobar at a Christian youth rally. I end each and every restaurant order with, ”...and, NO! I DON’T want any goddamn fry sauce with that. I mean it!”.

Ursa Major said:
bgbigdog said:
Ursa Major said:
garizzalies said:

Shhh...It is, Bigdog. The idahoans think they stumbled on it in the mid-70’s.

I’m not a fan of mayonnaise, or for that matter any white sauce on food that was not prepared by my own hands. The problem is they push it on you like Pablo Escobar at a Christian youth rally. I end each and every restaurant order with, ”...and, NO! I DON’T want any goddamn fry sauce with that. I mean it!”.

:lol:

...and please accept my sincerest thanks for the clarification “for that matter any white sauce on food that was not prepared by my own hands.” You have no idea where I, or any number of folks here could hsve gone with this.

Grizlaw said:
hokeyfine said:
ah yes, and if the griz would have tied their 69 and/or 70 games and been voted national champion(they voted national champion during this time) it would have also been mythical? :lol:
If football had never been invented, then neither school would have any national titles. So what?

Player Rep beat me to it but Montana won the handball national championship under coach Judd Heathcote-the only man to win an NCAA D1 national championship coaching 2 sports.

While the mustard might be a tall tale, I think it's pretty common knowledge that he smells like corn dogs.

EverettGriz said:
Grizlaw said:
hokeyfine said:

Holy shit!! A Grizlaw sighting!!

Including rodeo? Just asking

kemajic said:
hokeyfine said:
kemajic said:
hokeyfine said:
i agree. i wasn't comparing them to cal tech. it is my experience with the sciences at both schools that msu is far above um in stem programs. im sorry, but the chemistry program at um is terrible. it has no facilities or research to benefit undergrads.
Now you are exposing your lack of analytics regarding UM sciences and veering into my center. I spent two summers full time and two academic years part time doing research in chemistry, which not only produced publications, but enabled a grad fellowship to a PAC10 institution resulting in a PhD in 4 years. I am not the exception, as most UM chem graduates find themselves at advantage relative to other graduates in the competitive grad environment. It's inferiority is in the graduate programs, not its undergraduate programs. I spent a career recruiting chemistry students so had exposure to a lot of University undergrad programs. The bigger schools focused on their grad programs and their undergrad programs were there to provide the means. At Montana the focus has always been on undergraduate and do that very well. I have no idea where you got the idea that undergraduate research is not available at Montana. Fake News.
never said that undergraduate research wasn't available. i said the facilites are poor at best.
You said, "the chemistry program at UM is terrible. It has no facilities or research to benefit undergrads." I call BS. The chemistry building is old, yes; undergraduate research continues. UM chemistry grads are excellent candidates for graduate programs in chemistry. Better prepared for advanced degrees (necessary in chemistry) than most, including MSU. To quote, I had to correct your spelling and punctuation, surprisingly poor for someone so experienced in science at both schools. Ever publish any scientific articles?
:lol: :lol: ok, you think um chemistry is great, thats fine. their instrumentation is terrible, no where near msu.
as far as the dick measuring contest you want, not going to happen. im happy with my numerous publications and patents, my pharma career, and my current biotech. as far as grammer, this is a chat page, no one should really care what their fingers type. :thumb:

bigsky33 said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
bigsky33 said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
I am close friends with three graduates of the esteemed MSU Engineering program. Their current professions are as follow: night janitor, seasonal landscaper, and part-time DJ. Between the three their average hourly wage is around $16/hour. Examples like this abound among MSU graduates.

I am sure you can find these situation with graduates with in demand degrees from any college or university including the most prestigious ivy league or engineering schools. If you have an engineering degree and you are working in the jobs your friends have, I question their motivations.

You think there is a proportionate amount of Ivy-League engineering grads working shit jobs as there are in Bozeman, eh?

How would you ever quantify that? I would think it would be greatly influenced by the job market in the area. Bozeman does have a good number of engineering jobs in the area but it is still very limited compared to a great many other areas in the Country. If an engineering grad wants to stay in Bozeman, than opportunities are very limited. I know quite of few MSU engineering grads that had between 5 and 10 job offers at graduation. Yes, most of them required relocation.
I have to say; my brother graduated from MSU with an engineering degree and he is now a VP for a major broadband company making 6 figures. And I am just a shlub that joined the Air Force out of high school.

Back