• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Tell me about Montana State

PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:
If you’ve ever met Mr Choatee, he seems to always have some mustard in the corner of his Goatee.

I have met Choate a number of times. Think he's great. No mustard. Great wife. Nice kids.

Of the naysayers, which of you has actually met Choate? Just curious.

Vandals fans, meet PlayerRep. This post will tell you everything you need to know.

ABQCat said:
SACCAT66 said:
VandalPride97 said:
Stepping away from bantering with the Griz, I'd like to know more about Montana State and why their fans are on our board claiming to be in the top 3% for higher education in the world. I always thought they sort of sucked in general and were second fiddle to the Griz. Discuss.

Montana State is located in Bozeman Montana...It has an enrollment of about 16K students. It is known for it's Engineering, Agriculture, Architect, and Business schools. It won it's last championship in 1984, but there is no video evidence of this, so it probably didn't happen. Bozeman is a town named after a crappy trail that lead to Oregon, or Washington...the Football stadium holds about 17.5K people, but most are bandwagon fans. It has an amazing swimming pool to the south west of the stadium, and a trail that is made of tears that leads to the north east...MSU is known for there propensity for being Preseason champs in Football, but also has basketball teams that wear jerseys and everything, it is pretty neat. MSU doesn't have a QB that can throw it past the Center, but somehow (Because of Stitt and Semore) has beaten The University of Montana the last two years.
Lot's of grizz trolls trying to make this about them. I'll try to get this back on track.

I really like SAC's post on this subject and agree line by line with his assessment. I'll try to add a few notes for our fine Vandal friend.

We invite you to come to our tailgate experience this fall. I'm sure you will find the Cat fans very friendly and hospitable. The first thing you might notice is there's no river or footbridge. That's definitely striking, but we Cat fans are used to it now. Secondly, you will be very impressed with the tailgate atmosphere, but you will soon notice that's there's nobody there. The Cats don't have anybody that attends the tailgates. Lastly, you will really admire our fans for their spirit and enthusiasm, but you will notice that we cheer when the offense has the ball. In spite of our happy disposition, we don't have any knowledge of the game. I remember the day it struck me that we should be quiet when the offense has the ball, and turned to my fellow fans to tell them about my epiphany. I was instructed, in very clear terms, to "sit down and shut up like the rest of us". I agreed. First and foremost it's important to be respectful of the great fans behind me, and I've stayed seated ever since. I found I can really cheer for our offense from the seated position.

Don't forget to bring your Blue Bobcat Cup!
[/media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGUSl6BhRpI[/img]

hokeyfine said:
you're not quite getting the argument. if the griz had won either/both of those titles, would there still be the talk of msu's "mythical" title by UM fans? since each schools titles would have been awarded based on voting.
I “get” the argument; I just don’t find it to be particularly insightful. The fact that sports fans of all teams are occasionally guilty of cognitive dissonance is not exactly new information.

When Cat fans argue that both teams have two championships, some Griz fans respond by pointing to the number of title game appearances that the Griz have. Cat fans naturally respond that 2nd place doesn’t count; only “championships” matter. I bet they wouldn’t make that argument if the Cats had more appearances in the chipper than the Griz have, but so what?

We could both sit here making up different versions of “if X was true, I bet you wouldn’t argue Y!!!” for the rest of our lives if we wanted to. What’s the point though? That we’re all hypocrites? Ok, but we’re not even arguing about *actual* hypocrisy at this point...we’re arguing about *hypothetical* hypocrisy. Which is kind of stupid...hence my dismissive initial post.

EverettGriz said:
Holy shit!! A Grizlaw sighting!!

Haha - yep, I’m still around. I’ve been working a lot, so I don’t post as much as I used to, but I’m excited about the football season, and I’ll probably become a regular again when it gets a little closer.

Great to hear from you.

Grizlaw said:
hokeyfine said:
you're not quite getting the argument. if the griz had won either/both of those titles, would there still be the talk of msu's "mythical" title by UM fans? since each schools titles would have been awarded based on voting.
I “get” the argument; I just don’t find it to be particularly insightful. The fact that sports fans of all teams are occasionally guilty of cognitive dissonance is not exactly new information.

When Cat fans argue that both teams have two championships, some Griz fans respond by pointing to the number of title game appearances that the Griz have. Cat fans naturally respond that 2nd place doesn’t count; only “championships” matter. I bet they wouldn’t make that argument if the Cats had more appearances in the chipper than the Griz have, but so what?

We could both sit here making up different versions of “if X was true, I bet you wouldn’t argue Y!!!” for the rest of our lives if we wanted to. What’s the point though? That we’re all hypocrites? Ok, but we’re not even arguing about *actual* hypocrisy at this point...we’re arguing about *hypothetical* hypocrisy. Which is kind of stupid...hence my dismissive initial post.
Hmmm, I guess my point was meant to be simpler. Cats have 3 titles, griz have 2. Griz say the '56 is mythical because it was a tie and the cats were voted national champions(which is how the official title was determined). I said if the griz tie in 69 and/or 70 and are voted national champions would griz fans think those were mythical?.... I'm sure they wouldn't.

hokeyfine said:
Hmmm, I guess my point was meant to be simpler. Cats have 3 titles, griz have 2. Griz say the '56 is mythical because it was a tie and the cats were voted national champions(which is how the official title was determined). I said if the griz tie in 69 and/or 70 and are voted national champions would griz fans think those were mythical?.... I'm sure they wouldn't.

Agreed...in much the same way that Cat fans wouldn’t argue that 2nd place finishes are meaningless if they had more 2nd place finishes than the Griz.

We’re saying the same thing (aside from my misspeaking about the Cats only having 2 titles; I momentarily forgot about ‘76). Cognitive dissonance goes both ways.

Back