• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

JLM on UM Football and Hauck

PlayerRep

JLM seems to be excited and ready to get after it. This makes me excited too.

""Coach Hauck weeded through everybody who really wants to be here," said Louie-McGee, alluding to Montana's intense off-season weight training program. "These guys, everybody loves football out here and it doesn't matter the weather or where we're at, we're going to get better.

"What matters is winning and enjoying the grind, enjoying the process. No matter who we've got, we're going to try our hardest and show who the Griz are."

Hauck's disciplined approach might not be for everyone that plays college football. But it suits Louie-McGee just fine.

"He wants everything done his way and the right way," the junior shared. "He knows how to get guys focused up."

Loved this quote of Speltz:

"Sulser. Remember that name. When he runs routes and makes cuts, it looks like he's the only one wearing cleats and everyone else is in cowboy boots."

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/speltz-hauck-s-troops-embracing-change-with-spirited-preseason-practices/article_f551d47e-309b-5eca-94d1-ea52c7376c8d.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

We were never really able to give Jerry a break and keep up the threat or the production and now we can do that with Sulser. I hope we see both a lot

Also a thing to keep in mind, Gabe can play both in the slot and outside so both can be on the field at the same time. Jerry usually just stays in the slot.

Sounds like no red-shirt for Sulser----excited to see him play. I know it rubs some people wrong, but I am always excited to see a Montana prep star make it with the Griz.

Why would it rub anyone the wrong way? I recall recent MT prep stars from Havre and Drummond who were warmly embraced, as well as guys from Kalispell, Baker and Hardin a few years before. Five MT kids in the last decade who played for UM and then in the NFL. Seemed like popular dudes.

I didn't realize Gabe was on the 2011 US little league Championship team. Nice video about him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hK82TQz8vE

If Sulser plays as a true freshman and has a great career we will start to hear from the eGriz faithful how Hauck screwed up and didn't red shirt him as a true frosh starting in his junior year.....aka Hilderburger....

No matter what he does as a true freshman!!!!

I like the idea if they are good enough to play (no just special teams/mop up duty) you play them. Too many injuries and other things can shorten a career and that 5th year you are banking on might never happen anyway or a younger kid might be ahead of them on depth chart by then anyway. Plus there is still a possibility of a midcareer injury occurring that will allow you to "redshirt" them to recover rather than losing a year to just recover because you already used a redshirt year. My prediction is that he won't be only one not redshirting... due to such apparent health issues with o line. Not sure why so many o line are hurt, but having many blue jerseys before any full pads is alarming.

Ursus1 said:
I like the idea if they are good enough to play (no just special teams/mop up duty) you play them. Too many injuries and other things can shorten a career and that 5th year you are banking on might never happen anyway or a younger kid might be ahead of them on depth chart by then anyway. Plus there is still a possibility of a midcareer injury occurring that will allow you to "redshirt" them to recover rather than losing a year to just recover because you already used a redshirt year. My prediction is that he won't be only one not redshirting... due to such apparent health issues with o line. Not sure why so many o line are hurt, but having many blue jerseys before any full pads is alarming.
Plus if Sulser is one of the 4 best receivers on the team it is dishonest and hurts the team if you don’t play him. That means you are intentionally not putting your best team on the field. Hauck obvisuouly will play him if he’s good enough, and it looks like he is.

Yukon said:
I didn't realize Gabe was on the 2011 US little league Championship team. Nice video about him:

That kid is talented no doubt. Dare I say it if he stays healthy I think he could turn into somewhat of a Cooper Kupp type player, with more speed. :shock: Don't know if he has quite the hands or knack for running routes and getting open that Kupp did but if so, look out.

poorgriz said:
Yukon said:

That kid is talented no doubt. Dare I say it if he stays healthy I think he could turn into somewhat of a Cooper Kupp type player, with more speed. :shock: Don't know if he has quite the hands or knack for running routes and getting open that Kupp did but if so, look out.

Kupp is 6-foot-2, 200 pounds while Sulser is 5-foot-9, 161 pounds. Sulser is sharp like Kupp in running short routes but other than that, not much comparison. The best NFL comparison I can think of is Tyreke Hill from the Kansas City Chiefs. Versatile, fast and quick, comfortable touching the ball in a variety of ways, good kick and punt returner.

Obviously, Sulser is nowhere close to as fast as Hill. No one is :shock: He ran a 4.25 40 at the combine. In fact, his combine numbers are some of the best ever, including a 40 1/2 inch vertical jump, a 10-foot-9 broad jump, a 4.06 short shuttle and 13 reps at 225 pounds on the bench...at 5-foot-8 1/2, 185 pounds.

Gabe's dad, Mark, was a former Grizzly receiver.

So glad to see the Griz get another consistent dangerous weapon out in space other than JLM.

Sulser isn't the fastest straight line receiver in Montana HS history, but he certainly is the quickest--an utterly amazing/talented, tough, play-maker!

A former Griz who had a medical rotation in Fargo and with the NDSU program for a bit last fall, said the program reminded him of the Griz program under Hauck. Very similar. Same formula and style.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Gabe's dad, Mark, was a former Grizzly receiver.

So glad to see the Griz get another consistent dangerous weapon out in space other than JLM.

Sulser isn't the fastest straight line receiver in Montana HS history, but he certainly is the quickest--an utterly amazing/talented, tough, play-maker!

I thought Mark was a defensive back. Glasgow boy if I am not mistaken.

Watching Sulser's highlight reel, I was reminded of Matt Wells back in the day. It's going to be fun watching this kid develop.

Da Boyz Mom said:
Watching Sulser's highlight reel, I was reminded of Matt Wells back in the day. It's going to be fun watching this kid develop.

JLM/Sulser combo reminds me of the Segers/Heidelberger combo. They will be every bit as exciting as those guys too. :thumb:

""Coach Hauck weeded through everybody who really wants to be here," I love this little comment thrown out by players

Back