• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

A Choat-led 4yr losing streak?

Catsrgrood said:
Damn guys, how is a thread about the Cats, started by a griz fan, by far the most popular thread on egriz right now? 12 pages?! All on something that’s been discussed (argued) to death.
There is a fall camp going on in Missoula too, right?

The bottom line is nobody knows a damn thing right now. Non of the qb’s on either team have taken a snap in a live game for their respective teams.

On paper, the griz qb’s look solid and they have looked good in practice (from what I hear). We’ll see if it pans out that way come game time (it probably will, I’m not suggesting that they’ll fall flat on their face)

The Cats qb’s are a major unknown, they don’t need to come in and be Case Cookus either.
Andersen is just an amazing athlete and will be solid if he wins it. Top qb in the league? Not even close. But he’d run the offense and do well.
We’ll see if one of the other guys outperform and take that job from him. Whoever it is, I don’t think it’ll be a dire situation like some suggest. They’ll be solid.

We’ll know A LOT more in 2,3,4 weeks once both teams have actually played a couple games. Just let it play out and be a fan and enjoy the process.

This thread has turned into 12 pages of my dad would beat up your dad BS.

My Dad is dead, so he's not beating up anybody. Thread has great momentum.

mcg said:
Catsrgrood said:
Damn guys, how is a thread about the Cats, started by a griz fan, by far the most popular thread on egriz right now? 12 pages?! All on something that’s been discussed (argued) to death.

The bottom line is nobody knows a damn thing right now. Non of the qb’s on either team have taken a snap in a live game for their respective teams.

On paper, the griz qb’s look solid and they have looked good in practice (from what I hear). We’ll see if it pans out that way come game time (it probably will, I’m not suggesting that they’ll fall flat on their face)

The Cats qb’s are a major unknown, they don’t need to come in and be Case Cookus either.
Andersen is just an amazing athlete and will be solid if he wins it. Top qb in the league? Not even close. But he’d run the offense and do well.
We’ll see if one of the other guys outperform and take that job from him. Whoever it is, I don’t think it’ll be a dire situation like some suggest. They’ll be solid.

We’ll know A LOT more in 2,3,4 weeks once both teams have actually played a couple games. Just let it play out and be a fan and enjoy the process.

My Dad is dead, so he's not beating up anybody. Thread has great momentum.

Kind've ashamed to admit this, but your dad could probably still put a pretty good licking on mine; he's a total puss!

poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
ABQCat said:
PlayerRep said:
From the Day 8 report:

"Quarterback Dalton Sneed continued to impress, hitting an outstretched Samuel Akem for a 50-plus yard gain on a post route. Sneed also hit freshman receiver Malik Flowers deep down the left side for a score, with both receivers making plays on the ball."

From the Day 7 report:

"Sophomore QB Cam Humphrey also had a solid day, threading a defensive needed to hit freshman Nick Germer across the middle with outstretched arms for a gain of 20.

Dalton Sneed once again looked on-form at quarterback, slinging a 60-yard touchdown to senior wideout Keenan Curran for a score during one of the three team runs."

Ok let's talk about Sneed. You and all the minions continue to say he looks good in "practice". However he's not a good QB. Here are the facts:

At UNLV in 2016 3 QBs played. Palandech was the best % at 49/97 for 51%. Stanton was 50/107 for 47%. The worst of the bunch was Sneed at 39/88 for a whopping 44%. He was the worst QB at a really crappy team that several BSC teams would beat. He ended his awful UNLV span by going 9/23 against Colorado St, and 2/9 against San Jose St before getting (mercifully) benched. That's not good competition to be really crappy.

With a young and inexperienced OL, this spells trouble. He's already not accurate and now he's going to be running for his life most of the time. I fully expected him to get beat out by now, but last I read he's still QB1. That only means your other guys suck too.

UNI is going to blitz the crap out of you guys in every possible direction and it will be a rough game. Coaches working with each other for the first time isn't going to help.

Don't talk to me about QBs and stop foolishly saying he looks good in practice. You guys are awful.

Sneed is a good qb, so your assumption is just plain wrong. You have never seen him in a scrimmage or a practice. It is 2018 now, not 2016. He's improved, a lot. I base this on having seen him play, what he has said in articles, and what UM coaches have said in articles and privately. If Sneed wasn't doing well, Hauck would not be praising him.

He is accurate. He's been accurate in every practice and scrimmage I have attended. Both in the spring and this fall.

Sneed is a good scrambler and runner. At least at this point, I'm not concerned about the UM o-line, unless perhaps injuries occur.

My impression is that he will be good at taking charge and running the team. I was told that he did that in PRP's this summer.

At UNLV, he started more games than other other qb. It was a learning experience. Baptism by fire.

Humphrey has looked good when I have seen him in practice. Both Sneed and Humphrey are probably better than any qb the Cat's have on their roster now, is my guess.

I know you really want him to not be good, but he is. Sorry. You are going to have to live with that.

Feel free to keep ignoring reality and living in your fantasy world.

Those are pretty good points, and personally when I threw the barb out there about Sneed's crappy stats I was mainly countering the dipshits that think it's not possible for TA to be a good D1 QB simply because he wasn't initially recruited to be a QB. From my sources there are actually three QBs competing right now the coaches have said they'd be comfortable with running the show. I believe Choate when he says the QB competition this Fall (This first QB competition they've had since he's been there) has been a good thing and all the QBs have elevated their play. He wouldn't say "We're fortunate right now" unless he felt that way. If he thought we were in trouble at QB he's say something like "They need to improve but the're working hard and I think they will" or something similar.

I'm done arguing about who will have the better QB play in 2018 as we'll see in a couple weeks.

PR, how can you not be worried about the OL? It sucks when departures, injuries seem to hit at the one position you can't afford them. One of the interviews made is sound like the situation was dire.

I am guardedly optimistic and hopeful for the o-line because they are big and athletic and have been coached by Germer for several years. Some of the younger guys got most of the reps n the spring. Thought the o-line looked fine in the spring. Jackson was slated to be a backup guard. A loss nevertheless. If UM loses 2 more good o-lineman, I will start to worry.

Some people watch practice. Some talk to coaches. Some talk to parents. Some talk to players. The bulk of what I'm hearing is positive. The guys are being pushed, taught and encouraged to be more physical. I like that. They are stronger this year than in the past. They will have help from TE's and FB's. UM will have a better run game than in the Stitt years.

If these guys weren't big, athletic and coached by Germer, I would be more worried.

I think some of them will step up just fine. No guarantees, but I'm very hopeful. In the immortal words of CDA, we shall see.

Catsrgrood said:
Damn guys, how is a thread about the Cats, started by a griz fan, by far the most popular thread on egriz right now?

Because it's really fun to engage with Cat fans posting on eGriz.com. It's fun to see how many care so deeply about the opinions of Griz fans. A Cat fan in August is like a 40-year-old JC dropout who says he's going to be an astronaut. It's an entertaining conversation, even if it's a bit silly.

PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
ABQCat said:
Ok let's talk about Sneed. You and all the minions continue to say he looks good in "practice". However he's not a good QB. Here are the facts:

At UNLV in 2016 3 QBs played. Palandech was the best % at 49/97 for 51%. Stanton was 50/107 for 47%. The worst of the bunch was Sneed at 39/88 for a whopping 44%. He was the worst QB at a really crappy team that several BSC teams would beat. He ended his awful UNLV span by going 9/23 against Colorado St, and 2/9 against San Jose St before getting (mercifully) benched. That's not good competition to be really crappy.

With a young and inexperienced OL, this spells trouble. He's already not accurate and now he's going to be running for his life most of the time. I fully expected him to get beat out by now, but last I read he's still QB1. That only means your other guys suck too.

UNI is going to blitz the crap out of you guys in every possible direction and it will be a rough game. Coaches working with each other for the first time isn't going to help.

Don't talk to me about QBs and stop foolishly saying he looks good in practice. You guys are awful.

Sneed is a good qb, so your assumption is just plain wrong. You have never seen him in a scrimmage or a practice. It is 2018 now, not 2016. He's improved, a lot. I base this on having seen him play, what he has said in articles, and what UM coaches have said in articles and privately. If Sneed wasn't doing well, Hauck would not be praising him.

He is accurate. He's been accurate in every practice and scrimmage I have attended. Both in the spring and this fall.

Sneed is a good scrambler and runner. At least at this point, I'm not concerned about the UM o-line, unless perhaps injuries occur.

My impression is that he will be good at taking charge and running the team. I was told that he did that in PRP's this summer.

At UNLV, he started more games than other other qb. It was a learning experience. Baptism by fire.

Humphrey has looked good when I have seen him in practice. Both Sneed and Humphrey are probably better than any qb the Cat's have on their roster now, is my guess.

I know you really want him to not be good, but he is. Sorry. You are going to have to live with that.

Feel free to keep ignoring reality and living in your fantasy world.

Those are pretty good points, and personally when I threw the barb out there about Sneed's crappy stats I was mainly countering the dipshits that think it's not possible for TA to be a good D1 QB simply because he wasn't initially recruited to be a QB. From my sources there are actually three QBs competing right now the coaches have said they'd be comfortable with running the show. I believe Choate when he says the QB competition this Fall (This first QB competition they've had since he's been there) has been a good thing and all the QBs have elevated their play. He wouldn't say "We're fortunate right now" unless he felt that way. If he thought we were in trouble at QB he's say something like "They need to improve but the're working hard and I think they will" or something similar.

I'm done arguing about who will have the better QB play in 2018 as we'll see in a couple weeks.

PR, how can you not be worried about the OL? It sucks when departures, injuries seem to hit at the one position you can't afford them. One of the interviews made is sound like the situation was dire.

I am guardedly optimistic and hopeful for the o-line because they are big and athletic and have been coached by Germer for several years. Some of the younger guys got most of the reps n the spring. Thought the o-line looked fine in the spring. Jackson was slated to be a backup guard. A loss nevertheless. If UM loses 2 more good o-lineman, I will start to worry.

Some people watch practice. Some talk to coaches. Some talk to parents. Some talk to players. The bulk of what I'm hearing is positive. The guys are being pushed, taught and encouraged to be more physical. I like that. They are stronger this year than in the past. They will have help from TE's and FB's. UM will have a better run game than in the Stitt years.

If these guys weren't big, athletic and coached by Germer, I would be more worried.

I think some of them will step up just fine. No guarantees, but I'm very hopeful. In the immortal words of CDA, we shall see.

:thumb: Agreed!

Catsrgrood said:

Finally, a cat poster that seems somewhat tethered to reality. Do you think Waded would consider bringing back Tim Cramsey to replace Choates next year?

Ursa Major said:
Catsrgrood said:

Finally, a cat poster that seems somewhat tethered to reality. Do you think Waded would consider bringing back Tim Cramsey to replace Choates next year?

Choate is not going anywhere. He will have a winning season. He has done a great job of re-building with excellent recruiting.

Don't slow down the tweaker posts CDA. The more the merrier. If I think you're slowing down I'll have to say something to get you going again.

bigsky33 said:
Ursa Major said:
Catsrgrood said:

Choate is not going anywhere. He will have a winning season. He has done a great job of re-building with excellent recruiting.

2 years = 9 wins

Missoula: If Bob Stitt would have put up those numbers his lifeless body would have been hanging from the footbridge.

Gelatin County: Extension time
:thumb:

bigsky33 said:
Ursa Major said:
Catsrgrood said:

Agreed. He's done a fantastic job of doubling the losing seasons of the previous coach who had the best winning percentage in the last 60 years of the program. And he did it in only two years.

ABQCat said:
Don't slow down the tweaker posts CDA. The more the merrier. If I think you're slowing down I'll have to say something to get you going again.

I really hope you do have more to say. You've had your share of beatdowns on this thread, but maybe the 14th time is the charm. We've become kind of dependent on Cat posters providing entertainment on eGriz.com in August. Have any of your QBs completed a DI pass?

poorgriz said:
[Choach Chode] wouldn't say "We're fortunate right now" unless he felt that way. If he thought we were in trouble at QB he's say something like "They need to improve but the're working hard and I think they will" or something similar.
You guys don’t get it. His “program” is facing down a four year losing streak, after a bazaar extension. The same old Choach-speak ain’t gonna cut it. He’s already said that shit for years. Now that he’s on the hot seat, he needs a different script.

I interpret his words lately the opposite way of most delusional cat people. To me, he sounds like he’s trying to tell the fans to temper their expectations, but he can no longer come right out and say that stuff, so he has to say things like “fortunate” instead of “good.”

I kind of feel sorry for him (but not really). He’s in an impossible position. He can’t win and trying to control P-fan expectations is like trying to herd cats, literally.

From Cats scrimmage tonight:

1st series - 1s vs 1s: stalled and missed FG (Andersen QB)

2nd series - 2s vs 2s: Barkley runs for 42 yard TD (Beltran QB)

3rd series - mix of 1s and 2s: drive stalls quickly (Rovig QB)

4th series - 1s vs 1s: drive stalls inside 10 in a fumbled pitch by Andersen (Andersen QB)

5th series - 2s vs 2s: stalls inside 10 and 22 yard FG made (Bauman QB)

6th series - 1s vs 1s: 4 and out, drive stalled (Andersen QB)

7th series - 1s vs 2s: Andersen throws pick 6 by George Filer (Andersen QB)

8th series - 1s vs 2s and 3s mix: Andersen breaks tackle and scores 55 yard TD (Andersen QB)

9th series - 2s vs 2s: Rovig to Sullivan for 18 yard TD (Rovig QB)

10th series - 2s and 3s vs 2s and 3s: drive stalls and Bailey kicks 24 yard FG (Andersen QB)

11th series - 2s vs 3s: Rovig with big overthrow picked off by Luke May (Rovig QB)

12th series - 2s vs 3s: drive stalls and Byrne hits 27 yard FG (Bauman QB)

So Andersen QBd 6 of the 12 drives. Scored a TD himself on one (against 2s and 3s) and led offense to a FG on one. Had two TOs (pick and fumble). Not the best outing really.

garizzalies said:
poorgriz said:
[Choach Chode] wouldn't say "We're fortunate right now" unless he felt that way. If he thought we were in trouble at QB he's say something like "They need to improve but the're working hard and I think they will" or something similar.
You guys don’t get it. His “program” is facing down a four year losing streak, after a bazaar extension. The same old Choach-speak ain’t gonna cut it. He’s already said that shit for years. Now that he’s on the hot seat, he needs a different script.

I interpret his words lately the opposite way of most delusional cat people. To me, he sounds like he’s trying to tell the fans to temper their expectations, but he can no longer come right out and say that stuff, so he has to say things like “fortunate” instead of “good.”

I kind of feel sorry for him (but not really). He’s in an impossible position. He can’t win and trying to control P-fan expectations is like trying to herd cats, literally.

Choate isn't on the hotseat.

HookedonGriz said:
So Andersen QBd 6 of the 12 drives. Scored a TD himself on one (against 2s and 3s) and led offense to a FG on one. Had two TOs (pick and fumble). Not the best outing really.
Actually it’s a wonderful stat line.....for a linebacker

HookedonGriz said:

4th series - 1s vs 1s: drive stalls inside 10 in a fumbled pitch by Andersen (Andersen QB)

8th series - 1s vs 2s and 3s mix: Andersen breaks tackle and scores 55 yard TD (Andersen QB)

10th series - 2s and 3s vs 2s and 3s: drive stalls and Bailey kicks 24 yard FG (Andersen QB)

11th series - 2s vs 3s: Rovig with big overthrow picked off by Luke May (Rovig QB)

Do you know Anderson's throwing stats?

PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:
poorgriz said:

I agree, given his recent gift/extension. If, however, he goes for the three-peat of losing seasons (which would be the first time since Earle Solomonson nearly 30 years ago), I can't imagine too many people would want him around the program. Gotta win games.

I like that when Colter Nuanez visited the Scats and all his first comments are that they are very confident and "full of themselves". Sounds like that they expect to do very well this year, regardless of QB situation or any other reason.

The Scats might be better than most of us give them credit for, but, reality can be a cold mistress. In many cases, when the cocky, over confident teams get bitch slapped they get shell shocked and it's over.

The first three or four games, just like with our Griz, will set the tone for the rest of the season.

I like nothing more than to see loud, cocky, full of themselves team or players get knocked on the asses.

Go Griz!

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

Do you know Anderson's throwing stats?

I would say he was around 60 percent passing. Don’t know his yardage yet. The offense had about 400 yds. Anderson would have had to more running tds but he had the red shirt on. The Cat defense will be one of the best in the conference this year. They know all the plays the offense runs, so it is a bigger challenge for offense. Thought they all did good considering. There will need to be some things cleaned up but that is normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:
poorgriz said:

Plus 1. You are right PR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back