• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

A Choat-led 4yr losing streak?

HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
Sounds like TA made some really good throws. Made a couple mistakes and missed a couple throws but there were several factors causing that from what I'm told. The biggest factor of course - being in a red jersey, and going up against one of if not the best defense in the Big Sky. He's young, some of the receivers are young, there will be some timing issues and mistakes will be made. If TA is at full strength at the end of the season, look out.

P.S. I heard your QBs have been throwing a LOT of interceptions, true?

So now you guys have evolved into the best defense in the big sky without playing a down of football in 2018. Holy shit you can’t make this up. First, pre season champs and now pre season best defense ever. I can promise you you will not have the best defense in the big sky.

Last year the Cat defense I believe finished second in the Big Sky. It is much improved over last year so it is a very good bet it will be one of the best defenses in the Conference.

bigsky33 said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
Sounds like TA made some really good throws. Made a couple mistakes and missed a couple throws but there were several factors causing that from what I'm told. The biggest factor of course - being in a red jersey, and going up against one of if not the best defense in the Big Sky. He's young, some of the receivers are young, there will be some timing issues and mistakes will be made. If TA is at full strength at the end of the season, look out.

So now you guys have evolved into the best defense in the big sky without playing a down of football in 2018. Holy shit you can’t make this up. First, pre season champs and now pre season best defense ever. I can promise you you will not have the best defense in the big sky.

Last year the Cat defense I believe finished second in the Big Sky. It is much improved over last year so it is a very good bet it will be one of the best defenses in the Conference.

Looks like the Cats were 2d in only one defensive category last year. All other categories below, or way below, 2d. Cats were second in scoring defense, giving up 25 a game. Griz were 4th in that category, giving up 29 a game. I didn't look enough to try to rank the top defenses, but not sure that 2d in one category makes you the 2d best defense.

PlayerRep said:
From where I sit, I think the Cats have been improving and building the program under Choate. They seem to have good coaches. They seem to have been recruiting well. They have been close in a large number of tough games. They appear to be on the path to winning those games, or some of them. They have found a way to beat the Griz two years in a row. While I feel good about where the Griz are headed, and am hopeful for this year, I'm not discounting the Cats.

Damnit PR. Don't slow down the tweaker posts.

My opinion is we roll up WIU on Gold Rush and you guys get beat by UNI. No guarantees obviously, but that's how I think it goes down in week 1. I need as many grizidiots running their mouths as possible for that outcome. I'll do my best to troll out more nonsense, but you're not helping me with some of these nice posts.

ABQCat said:
PlayerRep said:
From where I sit, I think the Cats have been improving and building the program under Choate. They seem to have good coaches. They seem to have been recruiting well. They have been close in a large number of tough games. They appear to be on the path to winning those games, or some of them. They have found a way to beat the Griz two years in a row. While I feel good about where the Griz are headed, and am hopeful for this year, I'm not discounting the Cats.

My opinion is we roll up WIU on Gold Rush and you guys get beat by UNI. No guarantees obviously, but that's how I think it goes down in week 1. I need as many grizidiots running their mouths as possible for that outcome. I'll do my best to troll out more nonsense, but you're not helping me with some of these nice posts.

Rest assured that I'm not trying to help you. Ha.

ABQCat said:
PlayerRep said:

So that's what you're calling it when you get called out, smacked down, and proven wrong? "Oh, I was just trolling...". Grow up. At least BS33 is smart enough to change the subject...

I got an insider’s peek at the Choat-led playbook for this season. His game plan each week will be similar:

Do just enough to maintain hovering above the hot seat (like using a stall at a truck stop)
vs.
Ride TA into the ground.

I feel so sorry for TA (for reals this time). I wish we had him. If we did, we’d treat him right as a LB and he’d probably make the NFL. As is, it’s only a matter of time before choach ruins him to save his job. Should be illegal

4theluvofgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Just watched a clip of Alan Dershowitz, the former Harvard law professor, talking about developments in the Mueller investigation, and answering a question about why the press keeps playing up developments as some big deal or smoking gun, and then they turn out to be little or nothing.

Dershowitz says it's because some of the press is substituting hope for reality, due to their agenda. This reminds me of some of the Cats, and Cat trolls, in this thread.

That was pure poetry. We see this every year from that delusional fan base. Pre season champs, best defense in big sky without playing a down, we will go 9-2 and make a playoff run....all while nationally and even in the big sky conference they get no love at all, from coaches and media who know a lot more than their delusional fans. Then when they go 5-6 they wonder what the hell happened and if Choate is the right fit. It’s hilarious to watch EVERY year.

I was amused by the best defense in the conference comments too.

Anderson may end up being a solid or good qb, but I find it interesting that he is seeming to be the leading option over all of the other qb's on the roster. Either he is really that good, or the others are surprisingly not good.

My view is that Dershowitz would think that some Griz who believe MSU will be 5-6 this year, may also be substituting hope for reality.

I agree. They have had great recruiting classes the past couple of years, and I believe that their last class was ranked in the top 5 nationally by one service (#3, I think). We need to utilize our great facilities (including the new athletic center) to up-our-game in recruiting, as it has been less than stellar the past 6 years.

It was by Hero Sports, the same service who ranked the Griz recruiting class #3 a few years back and they all blasted the fact that Hero Sports was a nobody and didn’t know anything. Now they embrace it. Also, that recruting class is already without 3-4 main recruits who showed up and left, didn’t show up at all, or are ineligible. Their latest RB drowpdown from Indiana(Natee) they were so high on hasn’t been seen in a week.....True story. So they are now down about 12 stars in that touted class.

PlayerRep said:
bigsky33 said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:

Looks like the Cats were 2d in only one defensive category last year. All other categories below, or way below, 2d. Cats were second in scoring defense, giving up 25 a game. Griz were 4th in that category, giving up 29 a game. I didn't look enough to try to rank the top defenses, but not sure that 2d in one category makes you the 2d best defense.

Ding ding ding. Got to know your stuff BS33....your name is fitting.

CDAGRIZ said:
ABQCat said:
PlayerRep said:

So that's what you're calling it when you get called out, smacked down, and proven wrong? "Oh, I was just trolling...". Grow up. At least BS33 is smart enough to change the subject...
:coffee:

This is a bit off subject but a good way to keep this going. I am in MT now doing my annual bike trip around the state. Was in Bozeman on Friday and watched the Cat practice for a bit and then rode the bike around campus. The amount of growth and building is amazing. I cannot figure out with all the hype and excitement around the program, why the stadium, with the exception of the end zone expansion still looks so crappy . The east bleachers are rusted just like they were when I took my son there for a Griz game some 25 years ago--surely they could at least afford some paint or something. All in all it reminds me of a glorified high school stadium that you see in states like Texas,Georgia and Florida. The Cats must not have a Washington family who is willing to come up with the $'s to at least make it look decent. Maybe a few more 6-5 seasons will make a big donor come forward!!

One more page to go & thank goodness we’ve got this to break up the monotony of a news embargo.

HookedonGriz said:
4theluvofgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
That was pure poetry. We see this every year from that delusional fan base. Pre season champs, best defense in big sky without playing a down, we will go 9-2 and make a playoff run....all while nationally and even in the big sky conference they get no love at all, from coaches and media who know a lot more than their delusional fans. Then when they go 5-6 they wonder what the hell happened and if Choate is the right fit. It’s hilarious to watch EVERY year.

Anderson may end up being a solid or good qb, but I find it interesting that he is seeming to be the leading option over all of the other qb's on the roster. Either he is really that good, or the others are surprisingly not good.

My view is that Dershowitz would think that some Griz who believe MSU will be 5-6 this year, may also be substituting hope for reality.

I agree. They have had great recruiting classes the past couple of years, and I believe that their last class was ranked in the top 5 nationally by one service (#3, I think). We need to utilize our great facilities (including the new athletic center) to up-our-game in recruiting, as it has been less than stellar the past 6 years.

It was by Hero Sports, the same service who ranked the Griz recruiting class #3 a few years back and they all blasted the fact that Hero Sports was a nobody and didn’t know anything. Now they embrace it. Also, that recruting class is already without 3-4 main recruits who showed up and left, didn’t show up at all, or are ineligible. Their latest RB drowpdown from Indiana(Natee) they were so high on hasn’t been seen in a week.....True story. So they are now down about 12 stars in that touted class.

Have the Nichols boys been paroled yet? They used to have a thing for msu student athletes.

Nevermind. Just a thought.

HookedonGriz said:
4theluvofgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

That's almost as embarrassing as having an AD take one look around and run for the hills. Seriously, that was like Scott's Tots. If we did a Top 10 most cringeworthy events in BSC history, 8 of them would involve the Cats as the ones inducing the cringe. The best part is they rarely ever realize it.

MiningCityGrizFan said:
bigsky33 said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
From Cats scrimmage tonight:

1st series - 1s vs 1s: stalled and missed FG (Andersen QB)

2nd series - 2s vs 2s: Barkley runs for 42 yard TD (Beltran QB)

3rd series - mix of 1s and 2s: drive stalls quickly (Rovig QB)

4th series - 1s vs 1s: drive stalls inside 10 in a fumbled pitch by Andersen (Andersen QB)

5th series - 2s vs 2s: stalls inside 10 and 22 yard FG made (Bauman QB)

6th series - 1s vs 1s: 4 and out, drive stalled (Andersen QB)

7th series - 1s vs 2s: Andersen throws pick 6 by George Filer (Andersen QB)

8th series - 1s vs 2s and 3s mix: Andersen breaks tackle and scores 55 yard TD (Andersen QB)

9th series - 2s vs 2s: Rovig to Sullivan for 18 yard TD (Rovig QB)

10th series - 2s and 3s vs 2s and 3s: drive stalls and Bailey kicks 24 yard FG (Andersen QB)

11th series - 2s vs 3s: Rovig with big overthrow picked off by Luke May (Rovig QB)

12th series - 2s vs 3s: drive stalls and Byrne hits 27 yard FG (Bauman QB)

So Andersen QBd 6 of the 12 drives. Scored a TD himself on one (against 2s and 3s) and led offense to a FG on one. Had two TOs (pick and fumble). Not the best outing really.

Do you know Anderson's throwing stats?

I would say he was around 60 percent passing. Don’t know his yardage yet. The offense had about 400 yds. Anderson would have had to more running tds but he had the red shirt on. The Cat defense will be one of the best in the conference this year. They know all the plays the offense runs, so it is a bigger challenge for offense. Thought they all did good considering. There will need to be some things cleaned up but that is normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like TA is too good of an athlete to keep off the field.

https://twitter.com/skylinesportsmt/status/1030976310523252736

His situation reminds me of Josh Pafhausen’s (sp?). He too was a freak athlete and a better QB than Brian Ayat. He moved to receiver though because the team was better overall with both of them on the field.

Unless he's significantly better than the Oregon bounce back kid, I’ll bet that TA ends up in a similar situation playing running back. But would expect to see some kind of wildcat package in short yardage or goal line situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing to add. Just picked a long one to reply to so this will hit 17 sooner than later and we can move on.

You're welcome.

mcg said:
The bozeman coach has done a brilliant job of hiding behind the fans. The whole 'ride for the brand' and 'win state' routines have got legions of bozeman fans all frothed up and make it almost impossible to fire the guy. As long as the fans love him, he will be the coach.

Cat football, A Multigenerational Commitment to Mediocrity

Ursa Major said:
mcg said:
The bozeman coach has done a brilliant job of hiding behind the fans. The whole 'ride for the brand' and 'win state' routines have got legions of bozeman fans all frothed up and make it almost impossible to fire the guy. As long as the fans love him, he will be the coach.

Cat football, A Multigenerational Commitment to Mediocrity

Sounds like a 30 for 30 on espn, but not exactly. More like this:

"What if I told you there was a program that literally always fell way short of it's own expectations, but continued to act like it never happened. SWX presents 9 for 13: Cat football and the Multigenerational Committment to Mediocrity. This Sunday morning at 3:15 a.m."

HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:

Sometimes you guys really come off as brain dead over here. Is it really that hard for you to understand? Let's break it down. I said, exactly. "One of if not the best defense in the Big Sky." Last year we finished the year 2nd in scoring defense (The most important defensive stat by far), and 3rd in total defense. So last year we unquestionably had one of the best defenses in the Big Sky. The talent that has been brought into the defense and will play in 2018 is seriously going to be something to watch. Will it be enough to take over Weber as the best defense in the Big Sky? I think it might but I'm not positive. That's why I said "One of if not the best." Seriously, some of you guys need to look around and pay attention to what is happening with other programs, like PR does.

I'll add to the excesivly long post.
I moved to Bozeman in 1988, I was 4. I grew up not knowing about a mediocre cat football team. The biggest thing I remember is having to deal with game day traffic. Not saying it was a lot, more implying that part of town turned into a C.F. because there is only two ways to get away from the disappointment, left or right.
4 years avoiding the hawks (they really sucked), then I went to college. (UM not msu)
I never understood the appeal of football until I moved into GRIZ country. Holy shit, what had I been missing.
This is honest, I had no concept of a town behind its football team. I didn't understand what fanatical meant, and was shocked to find out.
It took me all of 20mins of the first game I attended and I was hooked. Passion, devotion and a Montana tough attitude. That's what makes the best football team in our state.
#raised In cat country, but born a GRIZ!!!
#WE ARE MONTANA

Back