• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UNIFORMS

BWahlberg said:
CDAGRIZ said:
I just wish they would go back to the original colors.

Aren't the original colors... what we have now? Swarthout changed them to copper and gold when he came up here to coach, after being an assistant at Texas and wanting to somewhat mimic their colors.

C'mon, BW. It's me. Or, am I getting double secret trolled . . .
We shall see.

EverettGriz said:
While reflecting my actual opinion, in this instance it was a meant as a (admittedly somewhat inside) joke about off-season threads concerning unis and move-ups, Mikey.

:thumb:

CDAGRIZ said:
BWahlberg said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Aren't the original colors... what we have now? Swarthout changed them to copper and gold when he came up here to coach, after being an assistant at Texas and wanting to somewhat mimic their colors.

We shall see.

Careful or you'll be double secret band

alabamagrizzly said:
BWahlberg said:
CDAGRIZ said:

You right BW. From Wikipedia.
Colors Edit
Maroon & Silver (1893–1967, 1997–present)
Copper & Gold (1968–1996)
The official school colors of the University of Montana are copper, silver, and gold; these were chosen in recognition of the state's mining history. Contrary to popular perception, these colors have never changed, with the confusion stemming from the university's decision to represent "copper" with either maroon or "Texas orange" at various times in its history.

When the university was founded in 1893 and its colors were chosen, a lack of copper dye led the school to use maroon, and occasionally other colors, to represent copper. This had the effect of having the school's athletic teams not always being represented across the board by the same uniform colors. In 1967, head football coach and athletic director Jack Swarthout, who personally preferred the maroon and silver used by the football team, sought to make the schools colors more consistent and held a vote among UM coaches. They selected Texas orange (burnt orange to represent copper) and yellow gold to be used on the school's uniforms and it remained for the next 30 years.

The maroon was brought back in 1993 as part of the university's centennial celebrations and a student survey in 1995 showed support for a return to maroon and silver uniforms. Despite some vocal opposition, by 1997, the colors began to phase into the maroon and silver that are currently used.

BWahlberg said:
CDAGRIZ said:
BWahlberg said:
CDAGRIZ said:

We shall see.

Careful or you'll be double secret band
Noted.

72 CHAMPS said:
I believe Gene Carlson the colors change to Texas orange
Well, I can't believe our schools produced such an illiterate as you. How about this: "I believe Gene Carlson changed the colors to Texas orange"? :?

Back