• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bobby Ball

grizfan406

I just read todays article:https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/griz-presser-notes-drake-s-canceled-game-throws-wrench-into/article_cca00674-17fe-5317-8ff2-98487f5da95e.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

I just have to say I love Haucks attitude. He doesn't slam anyone in the papers, he is critical yes but positive. He is building his players up while acknowledging that there is significant room for improvement. He is holding them accountable. I could tell right of the bat while at the game that the "GRIZ" that we were once so accustomed to are back. The grit, toughness etc, its back. Also, I always loved how Haucks teams got better every week, learned from their mistakes and always kept fighting, his teams always seemed to peak at the right time, I.E. playoffs! I'm not saying we will win Nats or anything this year but he gets the most out of his players and we are on the right path. The ship is righting.

The passion and energy they played with vs last season was evident from the start. That is all Hauck. Notice the incredible improvement in tackling also??

Hammer said:
The passion and energy they played with vs last season was evident from the start. That is all Hauck. Notice the incredible improvement in tackling also??

Those of us that were at the game just talked about this today. We could only remember 1 missed tackle.

RayWill said:
Hammer said:

Those of us that were at the game just talked about this today. We could only remember 1 missed tackle.

Your probably pretty darn close with one .
The tackling robot is finally paying off . :shock:
Just kidding , attention to detail and discipline works alot better than a robot !!

Bobby inherited a pretty good group of athletes, and I think as the season goes on he will come to know that. Stitt and crew did a good job of getting good players, just did not know how to extract the best from them or demand it.

grizare#1 said:
Bobby inherited a pretty good group of athletes, and I think as the season goes on he will come to know that. Stitt and crew did a good job of getting good players, just did not know how to extract the best from them or demand it.
:thumb:

I noticed some major things:

Special teams - were vastly improved. Yes there were a couple return mistakes, but outside of those they were so solid. Swarms of tacklers on kick and punt teams. I don’t think uni returned a kick past the 20 and had nothing for punt return. Bobby was constantly grabbing return guys after or cover teams and coaching and teaching at every chance.

Tackling - so much better as well. Guys are swarming and wrapping up so much better

Getting your best - seems to have the best guys on the field and made important switches to help the team and also getting the best from his players

Attitude and GRIT - seems to be a toughness or grittiness to this team we haven’t seen in a while. They are playing much more physical but much more smart

No Turnovers - again, playing smart football and taking care of the ball.

RayWill said:
Hammer said:

just one missed tackle....

so the players were clearly doing their jobs, even in the second half. why did uni score so many points, then(bqm) bad coaching(bqm)

RayWill said:
Hammer said:

The only one I remember was on the shovel pass. 96 had him in his grasp right when he caught the ball but lost him and he gained about 20+ yards after that.

HookedonGriz said:
I noticed some major things:

Special teams - were vastly improved. Yes there were a couple return mistakes, but outside of those they were so solid. Swarms of tacklers on kick and punt teams. I don’t think uni returned a kick past the 20 and had nothing for punt return. Bobby was constantly grabbing return guys after or cover teams and coaching and teaching at every chance.

Tackling - so much better as well. Guys are swarming and wrapping up so much better

Getting your best - seems to have the best guys on the field and made important switches to help the team and also getting the best from his players

Attitude and GRIT - seems to be a toughness or grittiness to this team we haven’t seen in a while. They are playing much more physical but much more smart

No Turnovers - again, playing smart football and taking care of the ball.

Yep. All great improvements...

argh! said:
RayWill said:
Hammer said:

so the players were clearly doing their jobs, even in the second half. why did uni score so many points, then(bqm) bad coaching(bqm)

Coverage mismatch with a big tight end from UNI. D-Line was not able to get any pressure with the more mobile QB that came in Huack had to resort to blitzes frequently which left holes in the coverage if it did not connect. Also some missed Gap assignments.

AZGrizFan said:
RayWill said:
Hammer said:

The only one I remember was on the shovel pass. 96 had him in his grasp right when he caught the ball but lost him and he gained about 20+ yards after that.

Yeah that is the one. He kind of Spun out of the tackle and it was damn lucky at that.

argh! said:
RayWill said:
Hammer said:

All that needs to be said is 26 - 23 win. Are you upset with that too.

AZGrizFan said:
RayWill said:
Hammer said:

That was a big one...felt to 2nd half momentum swing after that play right there.

Two things.

A lot of plays went NI's way in the second half and the Griz made multiple mistakes. I'm not saying NI was lucky or not causing things to go their way. But almost everything went their way. Nevertheless, the Griz didn't panic, didn't make any turnovers, and kept working for the victory. This in and of itself was impressive and an improvement from prior years.

A poster whom I don't recall, said something a day or so ago that rang true with me. I.e., that almost all of UM's mistakes and areas for improvement, can be made and done relatively easily. That doesn't include everything like the o-line play, but perhaps there are easily fixable things there too.

One game doesn't make a season, but there were many things that looked like the Griz of old. I was pleasantly surprised that there were so many of those things.

Sneed needs both to stay in the pocket more and take better care of himself. It's too bad the game got so close that Humphrey and others didn't get some reps. That will probably occur this coming weekend.

The crowd was back in the game in a big way. Very loud and exciting.

Some other thoughts that I had:

-No huddle offense. I wasn’t surprised and didn’t expect our offense to look anything like it used to with Hauck. And it definitely doesn’t.

-The few times we lined up a fullback we put Bingham there and not one of our listed fullbacks.

-Our front 4 could not get to the QB on their own, especially in the 2nd half. Nelson and Nagler need to step up.

-Our inside running was non-existent. Need to find different ways to run the ball effectively. UNI also had really big and good D Tackles, one of the best we will see I think.

-Eastwood did not play with the power and physicality that I expected, it’s just one game but I expected him to be better.

Great win and lots of positives that have already been discussed.

Know it's been discussed, but seemed Sneed did pull the ball and run too quickly a few times.

He could also afford to give the receivers another step or 2 before he releases the ball. I know the offense requires a quick read and throw, but a few of his throws (not all by any stretch) were rushed - maybe even forced.

My biggest concern was O-Line...

Its true that the Griz did not run the ball well...But, I did not feel like our O-line was overmtched vs. a very good MV Conferance foe. As young as they are, to stand toe to toe and do an above average job was an awesome effort.

Should they step up a level (or 2) this week the Griz will roll on offense.
Then the road test at Western Illinois, thats wher we see how the season will go...

With age and improvement this group is going to be a strength of the Griz team alot sooner then most thought.

PlayerRep said:
Could Brint or someone check with "Griz fan" Lisa Davey to see if she was pleased with Hauck's debut?

giphy.gif

Back