• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bobby Ball

SoldierGriz said:
Know it's been discussed, but seemed Sneed did pull the ball and run too quickly a few times.

When I rewatched the game last night I looked for that....it seemed it got worse as the game went on...in the beginning he stayed in, but as the game wore on he bailed earlier and earlier...even sometimes with a great pocket formed around him.

AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:
Know it's been discussed, but seemed Sneed did pull the ball and run too quickly a few times.

When I rewatched the game last night I looked for that....it seemed it got worse as the game went on...in the beginning he stayed in, but as the game wore on he bailed earlier and earlier...even sometimes with a great pocket formed around him.

He is effective with his feet.

Did you notice him throwing too quickly as well? I took notice of it live, but maybe the tape shows it differently. I saw receivers coming open, but Sneed threw it too soon...into VERY small windows. One second longer would have allowed the receivers to generate more separation to improve YAC.

spsyk said:
argh! said:
RayWill said:
Hammer said:
The passion and energy they played with vs last season was evident from the start. That is all Hauck. Notice the incredible improvement in tackling also??

Those of us that were at the game just talked about this today. We could only remember 1 missed tackle.

just one missed tackle....

so the players were clearly doing their jobs, even in the second half. why did uni score so many points, then(bqm) bad coaching(bqm)

All that needs to be said is 26 - 23 win. Are you upset with that too.

nah, i'm quite happy they won, especially considering how badly they played at times during the second half. however i admit that i am quite amused by the selective realities seen here regarding performance, based on who the coach is. in my view the real test will be when they play a good team on the road. i hope they can keep winning when they don't have a lot of the advantages that helped lead to the big first half, i.e. home opener with a new coach and big crowd, other team not having any clue as to the offense, and an opponent who had clearly psyched themselves out due to a long losing history to the griz.

SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:

He is effective with his feet.

Did you notice him throwing too quickly as well? I took notice of it live, but maybe the tape shows it differently. I saw receivers coming open, but Sneed threw it too soon...into VERY small windows. One second longer would have allowed the receivers to generate more separation to improve YAC.

Absolutely...there were 3-4 plays where 1/2 a second longer and someone broke wide open, but he'd already broken off the play and started running....one play where he was scrambling to his right he hit Toure on the sideline and had Curran wide open down the middle...also, there were a couple VERY nice plays by the receivers that extended drives (the diving catch on the tipped ball by JLM comes to mind) where he'd thrown into double or triple coverage....that's gotta get cleaned up.

The best part of Bobby Ball? Looking like we know what the fuck we're doing on punt and kick cover. It's only been like a decade since that happened

You made some very valid points up until the thing about UNI had clearly psyched themselves out. This UNI program goes to Iowa and Iowa State every other year and competes / sometimes upsets them.

argh! said:
nah, i'm quite happy they won, especially considering how badly they played at times during the second half. however i admit that i am quite amused by the selective realities seen here regarding performance, based on who the coach is. in my view the real test will be when they play a good team on the road. i hope they can keep winning when they don't have a lot of the advantages that helped lead to the big first half, i.e. home opener with a new coach and big crowd, other team not having any clue as to the offense, and an opponent who had clearly psyched themselves out due to a long losing history to the griz.

I have a slightly different impression of Bobby Ball and frankly believe it is part of the reason the stands are empty 3rd quarter. I can't really remember a time when a BH coached team came out the second half with the intensity they started the game. More common than not was sitting on the edge of your seat wondering WHY no adjustments were made at half time as if expecting the opposing team wouldn't make any. Even run away games seemed to come into doubt at some point in the 3rd and early 4th quarter as the opposing team often gained momentum while we lost it. Somehow the team DOES make those adjustments and pulls it out but dang I wish I could get over the occasional feeling of instead of playing an extra quarter as Bobby has wanted to do more than once, that we quit after 2 and call it a day.

I don't think the stands emptying out has anything to do with Bobby Ball, people do that for every game every year. When I had tickets I usually stayed at half and the place was always a ghost town. Like last year when we had a similar-ish lead against EWU, and Reese made those twitter comments about it after the game.

tnt said:
I have a slightly different impression of Bobby Ball and frankly believe it is part of the reason the stands are empty 3rd quarter. I can't really remember a time when a BH coached team came out the second half with the intensity they started the game. More common than not was sitting on the edge of your seat wondering WHY no adjustments were made at half time as if expecting the opposing team wouldn't make any. Even run away games seemed to come into doubt at some point in the 3rd and early 4th quarter as the opposing team often gained momentum while we lost it. Somehow the team DOES make those adjustments and pulls it out but dang I wish I could get over the occasional feeling of instead of playing an extra quarter as Bobby has wanted to do more than once, that we quit after 2 and call it a day.

Huh? Hauck's teams are notorious for making good halftime adjustments and coming out very strong in the 2d half. Look at the below stats. Yes, there were glaring. exceptions like NDSU and a couple national championship games.

Hauck's teams made very good halftime adjustments and almost always dominated the third quarters. UM points scored to opponents in 3d quarters. Look at 2006 and 2008. Wow.

2004 - 185 - 93
2005 - 74 - 38
2006 - 132 - 15
2007 - 107 - 73
2008 - 120 - 29
2009 - 117 -- 66

Silenoz said:
I don't think the stands emptying out has anything to do with Bobby Ball, people do that for every game every year. When I had tickets I usually stayed at half and the place was always a ghost town. Like last year when we had a similar-ish lead against EWU, and Reese made those twitter comments about it after the game.

Agreed! This has more to do with a 20 minute halftime and folks going back to their tailgate or standing in line for food. Not serving alcohol in the stadium is a major missed opportunity, imo...

Proud Griz Man said:
You made some very valid points up until the thing about UNI had clearly psyched themselves out. This UNI program goes to Iowa and Iowa State every other year and competes / sometimes upsets them.

argh! said:

i based my comment on the tone of their message board, coach interview, and newspaper commentary. they all seemed worried that the team would come out and play against montana like they had done historically - scared. and they did, or so i think, at least for the first half.

argh! said:
Proud Griz Man said:

argh! said:

i based my comment on the tone of their message board, coach interview, and newspaper commentary. they all seemed worried that the team would come out and play against montana like they had done historically - scared. and they did, or so i think, at least for the first half.

Somebody said on their message board that they should have a drawing from the fans to see who coaches the next Montana game because it hasn't mattered up to now anyway. :lol:

YttriumGriz39 said:
PlayerRep said:
The crowd was back in the game in a big way. Very loud and exciting.

Not at the beginning of the second half.

One of my biggest issues w/ GRIZ nation... we talk about how good of a fan base we are, however, when we are needed (start of the second half) we would rather pound another. Advice to myself... get your drinking done in 15 minutes and get your ass back to work!!!
#RTD #FTC

As I have stated on numerous occasions before, we never leave the stadium at half-time. Yes, it would be nice to go out and have another beer/drink, but I do honestly believe that virtually all of us could survive 3 1/2 hours
without that shot of alcohol -- or sneak some in, like lots of people do.

'68griz said:
As I have stated on numerous occasions before, we never leave the stadium at half-time. Yes, it would be nice to go out and have another beer/drink, but I do honestly believe that virtually all of us could survive 3 1/2 without that shot of alcohol -- or sneak some in, like lots of people do.

Yeah, that second part!

Toff said:
YttriumGriz39 said:
PlayerRep said:

One of my biggest issues w/ GRIZ nation... we talk about how good of a fan base we are, however, when we are needed (start of the second half) we would rather pound another. Advice to myself... get your drinking done in 15 minutes and get your ass back to work!!!
#RTD #FTC
Yeah it was depressing a the start of the second half and you can't tell me that did not have an impact on the young players whom were obviously playing off the emotion and the enviroment

Nice to have something to talk bout, and many comments ring true, but way too many conclusions drawn from MUCH too small a sample. Until they show otherwise, I'd be very concerned about the running game. The inside run was a waste of a down almost every time, and that part of the game did not even approach "avg." as one poster called it. Let's see more of the playbook though, and esp. see what J. Calhoun can do.

jodcon said:
Somebody said on their message board that they should have a drawing from the fans to see who coaches the next Montana game because it hasn't mattered up to now anyway. :lol:

That comment was HILARIOUS. I don't know if the Panther board accepts nominations for POTY but that should be in the running for sure. :clap:

RayWill said:
Toff said:
YttriumGriz39 said:
PlayerRep said:

#RTD #FTC
Yeah it was depressing a the start of the second half and you can't tell me that did not have an impact on the young players whom were obviously playing off the emotion and the enviroment

It clearly shows what's more important to them .
It's like going to the game is more of a social outing . Its nice to visit friends before the game but personally I go to watch football ,not socialize.

Back