• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kaepernick, Nike, and GRIZ Athletics

Status
Not open for further replies.
It kind of bothers me that the reason for people being behind Nike isn't because of the ad but because of the fact that Nike is in with the Griz. It's like we will over look this little bit of stupidity as long as you keep on sending us free stuff.

To me the ad is totally insensitive to the people who actually did sacrifice all. Those whose bodies came back with the same flag over their caskets that Mr K would kneel on and protest against. And I might add get very rich doing such. What the hell did he sacrifice anyway?

I saw this letter written by a widow of an American soldier. You know, one of those who did sacrifice all. But don't worry, I am sure Nike will come through this just fine and will continue to support our Griz, which is apparently the right thing to do.

http://patrioticexpress.com/america...ence-goes-directly-after-nike-and-kaepernick/

mtgrizfankb said:
considering white middle aged or older is nike's smallest client base, they will be just fine. you know how much R&D when into this AD before they decided to create it. It was a calculated risk and they chose to do it. Nike's biggest client base group is non-white 30 and under...I think they understand whats going on.

I did find a Bloomberg Article which says 65% of Nike's "customers" are 35 and under, but nothing that says 65% are non-white. What I do know is that the people being dismissed as not in the primary demographic are the one's paying for their snowflakes' purchases. If parents say no more Nike, it will translate to a hit to its sales in this primary market area as well as the over 35 demographic. Everybody thought the NFL viewership drop would be a dip. Most forecasters now agree the drop this year in viewership will be another 10% over against last year's depressed figure. All that has changed is the "pundits" are now trying to attribute the drop in viewership/attendance to things other than national anthem theatrics.

Although every veteran member of my extended family has sworn off the NFL, I will continue to watch the NFL and buy apparel until my team's players fall of this list published by SportsDay: "Only the Cowboys, Cardinals, Bears, Vikings, Bengals and Jets haven't had a player protest during the anthem." After that its college football only.

Bertram said:
Do7E1y9.png

PoTY!

:clap: :clap:

horribilisfan8184 said:
mtgrizfankb said:
considering white middle aged or older is nike's smallest client base, they will be just fine. you know how much R&D when into this AD before they decided to create it. It was a calculated risk and they chose to do it. Nike's biggest client base group is non-white 30 and under...I think they understand whats going on.

I did find a Bloomberg Article which says 65% of Nike's "customers" are 35 and under, but nothing that says 65% are non-white. What I do know is that the people being dismissed as not in the primary demographic are the one's paying for their snowflakes' purchases. If parents say no more Nike, it will translate to a hit to its sales in this primary market area as well as the over 35 demographic. Everybody thought the NFL viewership drop would be a dip. Most forecasters now agree the drop this year in viewership will be another 10% over against last year's depressed figure. All that has changed is the "pundits" are now trying to attribute the drop in viewership/attendance to things other than national anthem theatrics.

Although every veteran member of my extended family has sworn off the NFL, I will continue to watch the NFL and buy apparel until my team's players fall of this list published by SportsDay: "Only the Cowboys, Cardinals, Bears, Vikings, Bengals and Jets haven't had a player protest during the anthem." After that its college football only.

No it won't. In the marketing world...this move...makes very little impact. once again do you know how much went into this ad? thousands and thousands of dollars into research before they even thought about it. White middle class middle age like to think they control the markets and like to think they control brands but they don't. For instance...majority of Millennial's identify as belief oriented buyers....they will choose brands that stand up for things they believe in. Majority of Millennial's will stand with Nike for supporting the fight of inequality instead of seeing it as a disrespect to the flag or veterans. the younger generation understands the perspective and to nike...that's what matters. Nike is releasing a whole brand of CK gear. You think that wasn't researched? hundreds of thousands of dollars and hundreds of research hours have already analyzed this data and come out with..."this makes sense". This is not Nike's first rodeo with topics that are touchy and it won't be their last. Yes the shareholders will revolt in small amounts for a month or so...their market will rebound as will their sales. This move does not and will not identify with baby boomers...lucky for them....baby boomers are about to give the market to millennial's. As for Nike and the University of Montana....this literally has no effect on that relationship.

bgbigdog said:
I quit wearing Nike years ago, because I’m fat, have club feet, & like expensive scotch. The shoes & clothing options just don’t fit me. Have you noticed that all men’s clothing has gone the tight suit route? If you’re not squeezed into it, you’re not wearing it right. Making it tighter because they’re not putting as much cloth into the product makes them some more money & fat guys like me more self-conscious.

This company survived and prospered after all the hoopla over child labor, they’ll get through this just fine.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

mtgrizfankb said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
mtgrizfankb said:

No it won't. In the marketing world...this move...makes very little impact. once again do you know how much went into this ad? thousands and thousands of dollars into research before they even thought about it. White middle class middle age like to think they control the markets and like to think they control brands but they don't. For instance...majority of Millennial's identify as belief oriented buyers....they will choose brands that stand up for things they believe in. Majority of Millennial's will stand with Nike for supporting the fight of inequality instead of seeing it as a disrespect to the flag or veterans. the younger generation understands the perspective and to nike...that's what matters. Nike is releasing a whole brand of CK gear. You think that wasn't researched? hundreds of thousands of dollars and hundreds of research hours have already analyzed this data and come out with..."this makes sense". This is not Nike's first rodeo with topics that are touchy and it won't be their last. Yes the shareholders will revolt in small amounts for a month or so...their market will rebound as will their sales. This move does not and will not identify with baby boomers...lucky for them....baby boomers are about to give the market to millennial's. As for Nike and the University of Montana....this literally has no effect on that relationship.

No "what" won't? You do realize, as a major mfr/seller of NFL licensed gear its sales have already taken a hit. You do realize, snowflakes/millennials who would buy Nike as "belief oriented buyers" can't buy Nike if they don't have money. You do realize millennials are members of and have parents, siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents who are members of armed forces services, some of whom have died in service, and that insulting these customers' patriotism and family veteran service is a very different, if not unforgivable, hit to core values whereas child labor is a cause du jur? You do realize many market researchers cross-pollinate in political research, that few of whom have figured out how to correctly weigh samples or discern, how many people are now lying about political views and affiliations? This is very different. Dozens of people I know that lived for Monday night, Thursday night and Sunday NFL no longer watch football and take their kids to other activities and events now. We will see what happens but this is a bigger risk than you seem to want to acknowledge. I never expected the NFL viewer flight would last this long, let alone get worse. There is a point where the support base erodes sufficiently the whole building comes crashing down. I don't see that in the near future for the NFL or Nike but they may tilt severely like a tower in Pisa.

fanofzoo said:
grizindabox said:
Nike knows what they are doing. This thread is a lot about nothing.

Haters gonna hate, take the stand and be strong, that will go a long way.

Who do you define as haters? People who believe the Flag is something worth standing up for? Something that people have actually died for? Or is it just the people who think Nike made a very poor choice along with a poor choice of words thinking Mr K actually sacrificed something? I see on this thread people who are more concerned about getting their free stuff then standing up for something that is noble. I think I saw that during an election video some time ago when a women said "I don't care who wins, I just want my free stuff."

There's no getting away from those with socio-politico agendas and fat wallets. They can buy into your every waking moment including Sunday afternoons when you'd like a respite from all the week's infectious blather. If a locker room full of Nike jerseys from a company employing a few UM grads works for you, wonderful. But for a lot of folks it's another reason to turn ones back on the NFL- and sure as hell on Nike. In the meantime screw Phil Knight and the horse he rode in on...

horribilisfan8184 said:
mtgrizfankb said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
mtgrizfankb said:

No "what" won't? You do realize, as a major mfr/seller of NFL licensed gear its sales have already taken a hit. You do realize, snowflakes/millennials who would buy Nike as "belief oriented buyers" can't buy Nike if they don't have money. You do realize millennials are members of and have parents, siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents who are members of armed forces services, some of whom have died in service, and that insulting these customers' patriotism and family veteran service is a very different, if not unforgivable, hit to core values whereas child labor is a cause du jur? You do realize many market researchers cross-pollinate in political research, that few of whom have figured out how to correctly weigh samples or discern, how many people are now lying about political views and affiliations? This is very different. Dozens of people I know that lived for Monday night, Thursday night and Sunday NFL no longer watch football and take their kids to other activities and events now. We will see what happens but this is a bigger risk than you seem to want to acknowledge. I never expected the NFL viewer flight would last this long, let alone get worse. There is a point where the support base erodes sufficiently the whole building comes crashing down. I don't see that in the near future for the NFL or Nike but they may tilt severely like a tower in Pisa.

I'm saying YOU don't understand marketing. YOU don'y understands buyers markets in the united states currently and YOU are incorrect if you think this will long term effect NIKE. Sorry that White Middle America is offended. Their opinion and money is slowly fading. If you understood the markets and business right now...you wouldn't think this as big of a risk as you think. Nike controls the market. they control the access into retail. they control the price per product segments. They control the product styling aspects for athletic apparel. Younger people identify and understand the movement of CK. Even if they think that the kneeling is wrongfully timed (during anthem)...they understand the message. YOU like pretty much every other white middle age angry person is misidentifying the issue...mistreatment of minority citizens in the country. With the misidentifying the issue you are misidentifying the market. Baby boomers still think they are important but the market has already shifted away from their buying trends and their opinion matters significantly less than the younger generations, which will have NO problem with NIKE and their stance here. Sorry not sorry. Anyways this will be my last post on this because this has 0 to do with The university and our football program at this point.

mtgrizrule said:
I just read a lot of negativity toward Nike on a lot of peoples Social Media accounts.

Well there's your first problem mtgriz! :cool:

Me personally... not worried. The overall message gets clouded by some but the video ad they released yesterday was phenomenal. They'll be just fine and their support for Griz athletics, I'd surmise, is rock solid too.

IdahoGrizFan said:
It kind of bothers me that the reason for people being behind Nike isn't because of the ad but because of the fact that Nike is in with the Griz. It's like we will over look this little bit of stupidity as long as you keep on sending us free stuff.

To me the ad is totally insensitive to the people who actually did sacrifice all. Those whose bodies came back with the same flag over their caskets that Mr K would kneel on and protest against. And I might add get very rich doing such. What the hell did he sacrifice anyway?

I saw this letter written by a widow of an American soldier. You know, one of those who did sacrifice all. But don't worry, I am sure Nike will come through this just fine and will continue to support our Griz, which is apparently the right thing to do.

http://patrioticexpress.com/america...ence-goes-directly-after-nike-and-kaepernick/

Kapernicks first form of protest was to sit on the bench, then an ex-military (green barret) teamate suggested kneeling during the national anthem because that is how they honored fallen soldiers... the point is he's not protesting the military, and there are plenty of military members who support him. he is using his platform to bring attention to a cause that is dear to him. hes not hurting anyone. peaceful protest is an american right, its not my opinion, it's a fact. if people want to boycott Nike and the NFL they are absolutely entitled to do so. I'll keep enjoying the NFL and my NIKE shoes.

hilinegrizfan said:
IdahoGrizFan said:

Kapernicks first form of protest was to sit on the bench, then an ex-military (green barret) teamate suggested kneeling during the national anthem because that is how they honored fallen soldiers... the point is he's not protesting the military, and there are plenty of military members who support him. he is using his platform to bring attention to a cause that is dear to him. hes not hurting anyone. peaceful protest is an american right, its not my opinion, it's a fact. if people want to boycott Nike and the NFL they are absolutely entitled to do so. I'll keep enjoying the NFL and my NIKE shoes.

:clap:

hilinegrizfan said:
IdahoGrizFan said:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/veteran-kaepernick-take-a-knee-anthem/

Assuming this is what you are talking about. This is not being communicated to well to the public then. Or have I just been missing it?

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
hilinegrizfan said:
IdahoGrizFan said:

:clap:

And another :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back