• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The lack of a run game

alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
UM had 26 runs for 133 yards, 3 TD's and an average of 4.6 per rush. Eastwood and Sneed averaged 4.5 and 5 yards per carry. Eastwood scored 2 rushing TD's. The other 2 running backs each had 2 carries.

Those numbers are severely skewed by a 37 yard run that probably only occurred due to the situation it was in. Hauck basically alluded to that in the post game.

UM had 1 rush in the 1st quarter. No rushes by rb in 1st drive of 2d quarter. 1 in the second drive, for a short TD. 0 in the 3d drive of 2d quarter. 1 in 4th drive of 2d quarter.

With those limited numbers, you’d think that some of those runs would have done a better job of catching the D off guard, most likely gaining more yards.

Drake had 37 rushes for 78 yards, and a 2.1 average per carry. 49 of those came on the fake punt. So, .8 average by the running backs and qb in regular rushing. That's the definition of the lack of a running game.

I’d have no problem attributing this to our dominant D, while at the same time not giving Drake’s D much credit for our running woes.

25 for 96 is still almost 4 yards per carry.

No, I don't think more runs would have caught Drake off guard.

I don't give Drake D much credit for UM's rushing numbers, except they stuffed us on 3d and short a bunch of times, just like the prior week.

So in your original post you took out the fake punt to show that Drake only ran for 0.8 ypc. In my original post to start the thread, I took out the QB’s numbers and the one long run by Eastwood on 4th and 1 with all 11 defenders in the box to show that we had 1.4 ypc but you insist on keeping those numbers to skew the stats to show that our ypc is ok when it’s not.

You also misread my 2nd point. I wasn’t saying MORE runs would have caught Drake off guard. You pointed out the limited amount of attempts we had and I was saying those limited attempts should have been more surprising, gaining more yards.

On my third point I wasn’t giving Drake’s D any credit. I’m saying our O line can’t move a turd, let alone a D lineman. I give our D all the credit for Drake’s rushing woes though.

PR, normally your better with reading comprehension. Maybe that growler douche has you a bit out of sorts today. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Your thread title was "lake of run" game. You can't back qb runs if you're talking about a run game. The qb is part of the run game.

A fake punt is not part of the "run game", in my view. Did you really think a fake punt is part of a team's "running game"?

If you are being honest, you don't take out qb numbers or the nice long runs by the rb, to show lack of a run game. Look, you are one skewing the stats, not me.

Okay, on your second point. On the 3d point, I agreed with you. Don't know why you are bringing it up again.

If you want to discuss lack of production by running backs thread, start with a thread title that says that. Or, if you want to start a thread showing that if you take out all of the best runs by UM qb's and UM rb's, the rushing stats will look really bad, go for it. Just don't expect anyone to bother to read it.

UM giving up 1 sack per game. Tied for 21st best in nation. In conference for teams with 2 games, 4th in sacks given up, with 2. EWU, Idaho and MSU have given up only 1. Nice protection by EWU. Impressive.

Will be a year of taking a page out of the Don Read playbook. Screens, wheel routes, and slants will be our running game just to keep Sneed upright

I really don’t like it when people start cherry picking plays to include or not include in an average. We ran the ball for 4.6 ypc. Period. If you’re going to take out the good plays, then stats are absolutely meaningless.

AZGrizFan said:
I really don’t like it when people start cherry picking plays to include or not include in an average. We ran the ball for 4.6 ypc. Period. If you’re going to take out the good plays, then stats are absolutely meaningless.

Good plays are outliers. Good data manipulators throw out outliers. Then they can publish a peer reviewed journal article in a highly respected online chatroom such as egriz.

Unless you've never played the game and then you are either stupid or an idiot by the self professed egriz journal editor.

AZGrizFan said:

Exactly. An average is usually derived by finding the mean - which is calculated by dividing the sum of the values in a set by their number. You can lie with statistics by manipulating the data set but the math itself never lies.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
AZGrizFan said:

Good plays are outliers. Good data manipulators throw out outliers. Then they can publish a peer reviewed journal article in a highly respected online chatroom such as egriz.

Unless you've never played the game and then you are either stupid or an idiot by the self professed egriz journal editor.

Then I suggest we throw out Drake’s 49 yard TD run. That was an outlier. Also, we should throw out their last TD because they had a 38 yard pass that was a statistical outlier.

There. All fixed. We give up Eastwood’s long TD run and they give up their two TD’s and the final score is 40-3.

Y’all can go home how.

At least Growler admitted he was Growler in this thread. He ran to MB last week and said people on Egriz were giving forluvofthegriz a hard time saying because they thought it was him but it really wasn't lol. SMH

Ursa Major said:
Before weighing in on this subject, I’m waiting for Growler’s upcoming comprehensive tutorial post on the subject entitled, Blockers Block.

Only then will I feel comfortable discussing this topic. :roll:

I am trying to find my comfort level as well. I'm sitting outside on my front porch sharing rose' in my favorite glasses while my faux grandson is playing with blocks. All the dogs on the block are growling at kids playing and repping so that is somewhat distracting as I'm trying to study the blocking in my play script - O the lines I have to learn.Thank goodness the sun is blocked where I am sitting, so my view of everyone out running isn't obstructed by shiny notions of pie in the sky or routes not taken.

One more teeny-tiny irritation and fervent wish. That every ignorant blockhead who uses opposite gender terms and references as a means of mocking and insulting his fellow man be permanently banned - oh, sorry - band. It's difficult to block that shit out.

Da Boyz Mom said:
AZGrizFan said:

Exactly. An average is usually derived by finding the mean - which is calculated by dividing the sum of the values in a set by their number. You can lie with statistics by manipulating the data set but the math itself never lies.

On average, humans have one testicle... :coffee:

mtgriz said:
Da Boyz Mom said:
AZGrizFan said:

On average, humans have one testicle... :coffee:

Congratulations, you have proven that averages can be meaningless if the data set is too general. It doesn't mean all averages are pointless, however.

I kind of noticed that too reminds me of grade school. Lol Then the guy who keeps throwing out the feminine hygene cracks like “Take out your tampons ladies” Wtf is that really supposed to mean or connote? Anyone wanna take a crack at it for me or maybe his nibs will weigh in and splain the humor or prank of the comments. :? Wow he’s starting to really creep me out tonite and he goes back to maroonblood and complains about egriz and some of the fellas by name. Creeped me out when I first saw it, because it’s like dude you know we all can read this right? :thumb:

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
AZGrizFan said:

Good plays in football are not outliers. Good plays are what every team strives for, and what every D tries to prevent the other team from doing.

Can tell you never played the game. My god, save yourself some embarrassment and stop saying so many dumb things.

PlayerRep said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
AZGrizFan said:

Good plays in football are not outliers. Good plays are what every team strives for, and what every D tries to prevent the other team from doing.

Can tell you never played the game. My god, save yourself some embarrassment and stop saying so many dumb things.

:lol: :lol: Yeah, I literally laughed out loud at that comment. “Good” plays are outliers. Where do we draw the line then as far as what plays we get to count in the stats? :roll:

Disclaimer: I’m not passing judgment, but asking a question because I truly don’t know the answer:

We are on our fourth year with Germer as O-line coach. We’ve had the consistency in that area that one would presumably desire. He’s presumably had significant input into who is recruited and signed in that area. Yet our O-line has underperformed for all of those four years (both in recruiting success and actual performance on the field).

Germer gets a TON of love on this board...yet he has been unable to produce, really, a single above average offensive lineman in four years. Is it possible he’s not the answer?

Back