• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The lack of a run game

Why are none of the other players getting any PT? Where is Ray Green and Lee??
Lee has been a few times however only has a few rushes.

AZGrizFan said:
Disclaimer: I’m not passing judgment, but asking a question because I truly don’t know the answer:

We are on our fourth year with Germer as O-line coach. We’ve had the consistency in that area that one would presumably desire. He’s presumably had significant input into who is recruited and signed in that area. Yet our O-line has underperformed for all of those four years (both in recruiting success and actual performance on the field).

Germer gets a TON of love on this board...yet he has been unable to produce, really, a single above average offensive lineman in four years. Is it possible he’s not the answer?

Germer is a great o-line coach and probably the best the Griz ever had--or maybe will ever have.

Ask the o-lineman of the past. Start with Dylan McFarland. He attributes his college and NFL success to Germer.

Without Germer, this year's o-line would be several times worse. You should be complimenting Germer for how he handled the injuries yesterday.

99 passes so far this season, and not a great running game, and only 2 sacks. Sure, a mobile qb, but still only 2 sacks.

The o-line did not underperform last year.The o-line was good.

If you lived closer and were closer to the program, you would know this. That's a joke, AZ.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
AZGrizFan said:
I really don’t like it when people start cherry picking plays to include or not include in an average. We ran the ball for 4.6 ypc. Period. If you’re going to take out the good plays, then stats are absolutely meaningless.

Good plays are outliers. Good data manipulators throw out outliers. Then they can publish a peer reviewed journal article in a highly respected online chatroom such as egriz.

Unless you've never played the game and then you are either stupid or an idiot by the self professed egriz journal editor.

Good plays in football are not outliers. Good plays are what every team strives for, and what every D tries to prevent the other team from doing.

Can tell you never played the game. My god, save yourself some embarrassment and stop saying so many dumb things.

:lol: :lol: Yeah, I literally laughed out loud at that comment. “Good” plays are outliers. Where do we draw the line then as far as what plays we get to count in the stats? :roll:

My view is that all of the bad plays by my team are the outliers, so those shouldn't be counted.

That outlier comment wasn't the dumbest football comment I've ever seen on egriz, but it deserves honorable mention.

Like I said, he gets a lot of love on this board. He doesn’t come up to my lake house, so I don’t know the man personally....

Unfortunately, O-line performance isn’t measured solely in # of sacks given up. That can be manipulated by playcalling, # of steps in the drop, rolling out the QB consistently, etc., etc.

All that praise, and yet he’s still O-fer in development of any O-lineman anybody here would call above average during his time here. We’ve consistently complained about the O-line here for the past several years...and he’s the only thing that’s been consistent in that period.

AZGrizFan said:
Like I said, he gets a lot of love on this board. He doesn’t come up to my lake house, so I don’t know the man personally....

Unfortunately, O-line performance isn’t measured solely in # of sacks given up. That can be manipulated by playcalling, # of steps in the drop, rolling out the QB consistently, etc., etc.

All that praise, and yet he’s still O-fer in development of any O-lineman anybody here would call above average during his time here. We’ve consistently complained about the O-line here for the past several years...and he’s the only thing that’s been consistent in that period.

Because of Germer, the o-lilne has performed better than it otherwise would, just like it did on Saturday. In the last few years, he has turned TE's into starting o-lineman. A minor miracle.

Come to some games, and come down on the field and talk to him. Or, come to a QB Club meeting. Or, have your wife work with his sister, like mine.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Because of Germer, the o-lilne has performed better than it otherwise would, just like it did on Saturday. In the last few years, he has turned TE's into starting o-lineman. A minor miracle.

Come to some games, and come down on the field and talk to him. Or, come to a QB Club meeting. Or, have your wife work with his sister, like mine.

:lol: :lol: I KNEW there had to be a close connection there, PR.

The question is really almost rhetorical...we know what we have WITH him, but we don’t know for sure what we’d have WITHOUT him.

As I said in my opening post, I’m not passing judgement...but I will say this: I think Rosey does a great job with the scheme to minimize the damage the O-line can do...I’ll leave it at that.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

The question is really almost rhetorical...we know what we have WITH him, but we don’t know for sure what we’d have WITHOUT him.

As I said in my opening post, I’m not passing judgement...but I will say this: I think Rosey does a great job with the scheme to minimize the damage the O-line can do...I’ll leave it at that.

You may not know what we'd have without him, but some of us and Hauck do.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

You may not know what we'd have without him, but some of us and Hauck do.

Does he have any say in the kids who are recruited/signed?

MsMaroon said:
Ursa Major said:
Before weighing in on this subject, I’m waiting for Growler’s upcoming comprehensive tutorial post on the subject entitled, Blockers Block.

Only then will I feel comfortable discussing this topic. :roll:

I am trying to find my comfort level as well. I'm sitting outside on my front porch sharing rose' in my favorite glasses while my faux grandson is playing with blocks. All the dogs on the block are growling at kids playing and repping so that is somewhat distracting as I'm trying to study the blocking in my play script - O the lines I have to learn.Thank goodness the sun is blocked where I am sitting, so my view of everyone out running isn't obstructed by shiny notions of pie in the sky or routes not taken.

One more teeny-tiny irritation and fervent wish. That every ignorant blockhead who uses opposite gender terms and references as a means of mocking and insulting his fellow man be permanently banned - oh, sorry - band. It's difficult to block that shit out.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Pure poetry, MM! Shouldn't have to block any of that.

Here’s a stat that would surprise anyone: Montana has a 3.4 YPC average. Cal Poly’s average is 2.5.

Yes, I realize who they’ve both played.

Probably unpopular opinion due to the risk it would put on Sneed but perhaps maybe if we went more with some option type looks? Would spread the ball out and take advantage of the speed we have in the back field and perhaps opening up some more Lanes, split backs in the backfield Calhoun and Eastwood and run some triple-option / option plays to assist our weak o line play.

Just an observation: If you are trying to run between the Tackles(300lbs plus), You better have some line splits. Looks like we are in there foot to foot, probably not much room for a fullback lead power play. I believe with the Shotgun ,the coaches implemented the Stretch, to move those big butt linemen out of the hole. The Wishbone was designed to hit really quick to move big butts out of the hole.Sealing LB'ers off, and making containment Make bad decisions. I have concerns that the current short yardage concept, kinda mirrors last years futile efforts to convert short yardage of even control the ball when trying to take some time off the clock. All that said, Hell if the defense is happy cramming three big butts into two holes. Throw the hell out of it. 4th down is just another offensive possession. (Bob Stitt)?? Go Griz 2-0

Just an observation: If you are trying to run between the Tackles(300lbs plus), You better have some line splits. Looks like we are in there foot to foot, probably not much room for a fullback lead power play. I believe with the Shotgun ,the coaches implemented the Stretch, to move those big butt linemen out of the hole. The Wishbone was designed to hit really quick to move big butts out of the hole.Sealing LB'ers off, and making containment Make bad decisions. I have concerns that the current short yardage concept, kinda mirrors last years futile efforts to convert short yardage o=rf even control the ball when trying to take some time off the clock. All that said, Hell if the defense is happy cramming three or 4 big butts into two holes. Throw the ball. 4th down is just another offensive down.. (Bob Stitt)?? Go Griz 2-0

Griz#64 said:
Just an observation: If you are trying to run between the Tackles(300lbs plus), You better have some line splits. Looks like we are in there foot to foot, probably not much room for a fullback lead power play. I believe with the Shotgun ,the coaches implemented the Stretch, to move those big butt linemen out of the hole. The Wishbone was designed to hit really quick to move big butts out of the hole.Sealing LB'ers off, and making containment Make bad decisions. I have concerns that the current short yardage concept, kinda mirrors last years futile efforts to convert short yardage o=rf even control the ball when trying to take some time off the clock. All that said, Hell if the defense is happy cramming three or 4 big butts into two holes. Throw the ball. 4th down is just another offensive down.. (Bob Stitt)?? Go Griz 2-0

Great post!

Why is it so far, we run one time then back to passing? I mean you can't get a run game going if you don't try to run. I would like to see Three runs in a row for once. I am patient until Calhoun gets back, then I want Bobby ball back. Start pushing people around. Our O-Line is young, but they are tough and will get the blocking scheme of running much faster if we give them chances to block for the runner more.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Germer is a proven commodity as a solid O-line coach. He is the same coach who built some of our great O-lines in the past. He doesn't suddenly become pedestrian as a coach. The talent is just not there. Very few FCS teams have O-line quality beyond 6-7 players among the 14-16 on the team. There is a bigger drop-off going deep into the roster for the O-line than perhaps any other position. We are going much deeper into the O-line pool than what we need to put a solid group on the field. I believe a couple of these young starters will end up developing into solid linemen, but it will take time. The other starters are there out of necessity, and will probably not be starting in future years as Germer builds his line with recruiting.

AZGrizFan said:
Here’s a stat that would surprise anyone: Montana has a 3.4 YPC average. Cal Poly’s average is 2.5.

Yes, I realize who they’ve both played.

Nice try. YPC means little when 2-3 plays account for 90% of those yards, and mean even less when a substantial portion of those yards came from QB scrambles on broken plays.

Da Boyz Mom said:
AZGrizFan said:
I really don’t like it when people start cherry picking plays to include or not include in an average. We ran the ball for 4.6 ypc. Period. If you’re going to take out the good plays, then stats are absolutely meaningless.

Exactly. An average is usually derived by finding the mean - which is calculated by dividing the sum of the values in a set by their number. You can lie with statistics by manipulating the data set but the math itself never lies.

Uh, so you are saying we have a great running game???

MsMaroon said:
Ursa Major said:
Before weighing in on this subject, I’m waiting for Growler’s upcoming comprehensive tutorial post on the subject entitled, Blockers Block.

Only then will I feel comfortable discussing this topic. :roll:

I am trying to find my comfort level as well. I'm sitting outside on my front porch sharing rose' in my favorite glasses while my faux grandson is playing with blocks. All the dogs on the block are growling at kids playing and repping so that is somewhat distracting as I'm trying to study the blocking in my play script - O the lines I have to learn.Thank goodness the sun is blocked where I am sitting, so my view of everyone out running isn't obstructed by shiny notions of pie in the sky or routes not taken.

One more teeny-tiny irritation and fervent wish. That every ignorant blockhead who uses opposite gender terms and references as a means of mocking and insulting his fellow man be permanently banned - oh, sorry - band. It's difficult to block that shit out.

You must be living in the dark ages. Don't you realize that everything in this nation is now gender-neutral? Some of us are still questioning. My advice to you is to grow a pair, cause you may need them at some point in the future.

Back