• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The lack of a run game

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
PlayerRep said:
Germer is a great o-line coach and probably the best the Griz ever had--or maybe will ever have.

Ask the o-lineman of the past. Start with Dylan McFarland. He attributes his college and NFL success to Germer.

Without Germer, this year's o-line would be several times worse. You should be complimenting Germer for how he handled the injuries yesterday.

99 passes so far this season, and not a great running game, and only 2 sacks. Sure, a mobile qb, but still only 2 sacks.

The o-line did not underperform last year.The o-line was good.

If you lived closer and were closer to the program, you would know this. That's a joke, AZ.

This.

I guess I can learn to play the this game too.

as for me, i just concurred with azfan that under germer the last few years, the o-line has underperformed (compared to previous griz o-lines), and that, at least as measured by (for instance) all-conference accolades for individual players, recruiting hasn't been as good as previously. never said he was a bad recruiter, never opined on how his coaching was this year, or whether the o-line was good or bad last year. it is all relative.

also, the bigger point, which i make ad nauseum on here, is that when it comes to criticizing coaching, a large number of posters are highly biased an not objective. instead of accurate, or close to accurate analysis, they make statements clearly meant to "diss" certain members of the previous staff, conveniently ignoring that, for instance, germer was a long-term member of that staff.

put that in your eggs and ham and chew on it, greenie.

Given the talent, the o-line has done fine while Germer has been here.

My even bigger point is that most people criticizing coaching on egriz don't have a clue what they are talking about, have never coached, and certainly never played the game. Their criticism is utterly meaningless. That is one reason that Scott Gurnsey thinks that most posters on egriz are football idiots.

Germer is a terrific o-line coach. Everyone or virtually everyone who has coached with him would say that. Samewith players he has coached. He may be the most important coach this season.

argh, you can spew your nonsense on Germer and ST's all you want, but most people who know the game won't be agreeing with you. So, put that in your test tube and drink it.

4theluvofgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
This.

as for me, i just concurred with azfan that under germer the last few years, the o-line has underperformed (compared to previous griz o-lines), and that, at least as measured by (for instance) all-conference accolades for individual players, recruiting hasn't been as good as previously. never said he was a bad recruiter, never opined on how his coaching was this year, or whether the o-line was good or bad last year. it is all relative.

also, the bigger point, which i make ad nauseum on here, is that when it comes to criticizing coaching, a large number of posters are highly biased an not objective. instead of accurate, or close to accurate analysis, they make statements clearly meant to "diss" certain members of the previous staff, conveniently ignoring that, for instance, germer was a long-term member of that staff.

My even bigger point is that most people criticizing coaching on egriz don't have a clue what they are talking about, have never coached, and certainly never played the game. Their criticism is utterly meaningless. That is one reason that Scott Gurnsey thinks that most posters on egriz are football idiots.

Germer is a terrific o-line coach. Everyone or virtually everyone who has coached with him would say that. Samewith players he has coached. He may be the most important coach this season.

argh, you can spew your nonsense on Germer and ST's all you want, but most people who know the game won't be agreeing with you. So, put that in your test tube and drink it.

You've, once again, added such great insight in that big fat blank. How do you do it?

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
PlayerRep said:
Germer is a great o-line coach and probably the best the Griz ever had--or maybe will ever have.

Ask the o-lineman of the past. Start with Dylan McFarland. He attributes his college and NFL success to Germer.

Without Germer, this year's o-line would be several times worse. You should be complimenting Germer for how he handled the injuries yesterday.

99 passes so far this season, and not a great running game, and only 2 sacks. Sure, a mobile qb, but still only 2 sacks.

The o-line did not underperform last year.The o-line was good.

If you lived closer and were closer to the program, you would know this. That's a joke, AZ.

This.

should i spin it first(bqm) we want to be safe here.

Goodness gracious, all of these things can be true at the same time:

• Just like Gragg before him, Germer takes responsibility for the kids that have been recruited under him. Fair or unfair, The OL has consistently been one of the weaker groups on the team over the last 3 years, and there's always seemed to be an excuse for why it was so bad (or at the very least, disappointing).
  • You can't put this solely on Germer because FFS his OL has a combined 29 starts between all of them, and Villanueva has 24 of those (it may even be less than that, I didn't go back to check if he missed games due to injury). It sucks that...what...3 projected starters either got hurt or up and left? One is huge. THREE!?!?
  • People say on here all the time that it doesn't matter how big, strong, or skilled an O-Line is, if they can't play as a single, cohesive unit, they're never going to be great. How can we expect this unit to gel and perform like that when 4/5 of them haven't even played in more than two games in their entire DI careers?
  • The coaches are doing a great job of mitigating the problems of the OL. Sneed, playcalling, tempo, all of it has helped us level the playing field for our young guys.

Bottom line: It's not ideal, but they're handling it pretty well. Credit to the coaches (especially Germer!!!) for coaching these guys up to the point where we're 2-0.

Regardless, however, I have a feeling we'll be shopping around HARD for one or two FBS dropdowns on our line after this season.

SoldierGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
This.

PR - I also believe Germer is a good coach. But, do you agree he is the principal recruiter of linemen? If you do, why the real or at least perceived lack of talent at the position? Perhaps it's simply youth...and Germer will truly earn his paycheck this season by elevating their performance throughout the year.

I don't know Germer's role in recruiting. Do you? If so, let us know what it is. I'm curious.

Do you think Stitt was allocating lots of slots for o-lineman? I don't know. Or, were a lot of slots for receivers or other positions?

Assume you know that Germer took a walk-on TE and developed him into a multi-year starter at center? And Mike Ralstom from various positions to a starter. How about Reese from being a starter as a true frosh and then first team all-confernce as senior, or second team as a junior.

Do you think this was all just luck or magic?

sdk.catfish said:
It appears that PR has been unsuccessful convincing some of you that statistics prove that we really have a run game beyond Sneed taking off left, right and up the middle.

PR, your typical spew when someone even comes close to disagreeing with you. I'll expend the effort to prove the point when you show me where I ever said "Good" in relation to the run game. Sometimes maybe you should consider just not posting when others disagree because, while you may have played the game, your eyes are getting old and you aren't watching the game. The current run game, minus Sneed, is not something to write home about but keep on imagining. But I'm saying the defense is better than expected so don't get your knickers all in a twist.

I didn't spew anything. What do you think I spewed?

Again, where did I say the run game was good?

I post the actual stats of the UM runs for 2 games, and say nothing about them, and people who don't understand football or who are biased, like you, interpret that as saying the run game is good.

Sorry, sdk, but you are the one who's posting dumb stuff and being a jerk. Why can't you stick to the facts? Why can't ups address what is actually going on?

Name one poster who has said the UM run game is good. Speak up. I know you can't point to anyone?

Some people thought the D would be good.Too bad you are so removed from the program that you didn't know tht. You are removed and out of touch.

Are you going to say that Germer is a bad coach?

When was the last time you attended a Griz game in UM stadium?

4theluvofgriz said:
I am as critical of coaches as anyone on this site, but I just don't buy the fact that it is Germer's fault that our line is so poor. Yes, he recruited these kids. But, we have lost three of our highest-rated O-line recruits recently. They would all be starting this season, and our line would look entirely different if they were playing. Germer has had a run of bad luck with some of his best linemen leaving the program. I still go back to the fact that Germer was the coach of some of our best O-lines in the past. What, did he suddenly forget how to coach??? Get real, dudes. We are now playing kids who should be buried on the depth chart. No FCS team goes 7-10 deep with quality linemen.

Given your past videos, I'm not comfortable with you discussing anything 7-10 deep.

To me, the true test of not understanding the game and never having played the game is criticizing a coach who is actually being a hero for cobbling to together the o-one. 1 returning starter, 2 new starters at tackle with one being a redshirt frosh walk-on, working around injuries, having to figure out a center injury replacement, bringing in a true frosh last game who had been redshirting.

2 sacks in 2 games, 2 wins.

Ya, Germer sucks. Get him out of here.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Disclaimer: I’m not passing judgment, but asking a question because I truly don’t know the answer:

We are on our fourth year with Germer as O-line coach. We’ve had the consistency in that area that one would presumably desire. He’s presumably had significant input into who is recruited and signed in that area. Yet our O-line has underperformed for all of those four years (both in recruiting success and actual performance on the field).

Germer gets a TON of love on this board...yet he has been unable to produce, really, a single above average offensive lineman in four years. Is it possible he’s not the answer?

Methinks that would be Bob Beers.

Ursa Major said:
4theluvofgriz said:
I am as critical of coaches as anyone on this site, but I just don't buy the fact that it is Germer's fault that our line is so poor. Yes, he recruited these kids. But, we have lost three of our highest-rated O-line recruits recently. They would all be starting this season, and our line would look entirely different if they were playing. Germer has had a run of bad luck with some of his best linemen leaving the program. I still go back to the fact that Germer was the coach of some of our best O-lines in the past. What, did he suddenly forget how to coach??? Get real, dudes. We are now playing kids who should be buried on the depth chart. No FCS team goes 7-10 deep with quality linemen.

Given your past videos, I'm not comfortable with you discussing anything 7-10 deep.

POTY Candidate.

I wonder how many posters here actually played in the line, or coached line play. How many understand blocking rules?? So a couple of examples. Simplest blocking is 1st down man,2nd down man, etc. Then all the defenders stand up. WTF, then inside on LB'er, seal backside, What? 1st man inside on or off line, seal backside.No Shit? Pull trap first man on or off line, wow? Reach block first man outside,then block downfield. Confused yet? Screen pass. block zone hold count of three, slide outside. damn? SO, what the hell ,Block HIM blocking , When coach asks you who do you block on 3Power?, reply by pointing to the nearest defender and say (HIM). Then get in the most uncomfortable stance, and Fire off on the (H) of HUT. Easy Stuff for 17 to 18 year old Kids. Go GriZ, Good Job Germer...2-0

Ursa Major said:
4theluvofgriz said:

That's the one you cob your knob to every night

CDAGRIZ said:
4theluvofgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

You've, once again, added such great insight in that big fat blank. How do you do it?

CDA, ( aka,certified dumb ass) makes yet another one of his moronic, non-football posts, trying to be relevant, trying to be a comedian, trying to counter his deep insecurity, yet failing on all counts. We all still await his first post about the game of football, but none of us are holding our breath.

PlayerRep said:
Assume you know that Germer took a walk-on TE and developed him into a multi-year starter at center? And Mike Ralstom from various positions to a starter. How about Reese from being a starter as a true frosh and then first team all-confernce as senior, or second team as a junior.

I think it was necessity. He's been here 4 years. Why are we still talking about lack of O-line talent four years later?

PlayerRep said:
To me, the true test of not understanding the game and never having played the game is criticizing a coach who is actually being a hero for cobbling to together the o-one. 1 returning starter, 2 new starters at tackle with one being a redshirt frosh walk-on, working around injuries, having to figure out a center injury replacement, bringing in a true frosh last game who had been redshirting.

2 sacks in 2 games, 2 wins.

Ya, Germer sucks. Get him out of here.

To me the true test of not understanding the question is avoiding it altogether with a response to a question that wasn't asked.

Why, four full years after his much heralded arrival here, are we STILL talking about having to "cobble" together an O-line, why do we have starters with ZERO experience, why are we starting walk-ons and true freshmen and converted TE's? We have been having literally the exact same conversation since Delaney took over! Presumably part of Germer's job is to identify, recruit and sign the right players? And to have a fucking succession plan for these players? And to develop that talent accordingly so the succession plan can be successful? To PLAN for the expected attrition at a very demanding position? Yet here we are, like Groundhog Day, every single year, talking about our O-line and how we are "cobbling together" players to put together a patchwork line, behind which our QB runs for his life.

You see our performance as vindication for his coaching abilities. He may be a great coach, but I see your bolded sentence as a negative, not a positive.

Yes, we're 2-0 (thankfully). But if THAT is your measuring stick, it's about to get a lot shorter. A suspected shortcoming is now a confirmed shortcoming--and the proof is on film. And coaches all over the league are already salivating at how to attack our (constantly) depleted O-line and disrupt the flow of our offense.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

I think it was necessity. He's been here 4 years. Why are we still talking about lack of O-line talent four years later?

That is a really good question. After nearly two decades of fairly dominant o-line play, that postion has been a serious weakness for the past 5-6 seasons, regardless of how anyone wants to spin it. I would argue it's reached a new rock bottom, based on what I have seen the last two weeks. Spooky.

All I can is that they are young, and Chad is a really good coach. I have faith they will pull out of this at some point, but right now it is very, very spooky.

4theluvofgriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
4theluvofgriz said:
PlayerRep said:

CDA, ( aka,certified dumb ass) makes yet another one of his moronic, non-football posts, trying to be relevant, trying to be a comedian, trying to counter his deep insecurity, yet failing on all counts. We all still await his first post about the game of football, but none of us are holding our breath.

I'll give it a try like you:
The thing about football is you want to score some points and not give up more than you score. I'm not sure we can do that more than seven times, but we could, but maybe not. Blocking but tackling and running with catching after throwing, too. If you are faster than the other team, you have an advantage because the other team would be slower than your team. *Handbutt*.

AZGrizFan said:
I really don’t like it when people start cherry picking plays to include or not include in an average. We ran the ball for 4.6 ypc. Period. If you’re going to take out the good plays, then stats are absolutely meaningless.

Spot on, makes no sense. It would be like saying well even though that NFL RB had 112 yards rushing, if you take away that 45 yarder for a TD then he wasn’t that great. That’s just dumb....the dude had 112 yards any way you slice it.

CDAGRIZ said:
4theluvofgriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I'll give it a try like you:
The thing about football is you want to score some points and not give up more than you score. I'm not sure we can do that more than seven times, but we could, but maybe not. Blocking but tackling and running with catching after throwing, too. If you are faster than the other team, you have an advantage because the other team would be slower than your team. *Handbutt*.

Since its obvious that you would rather massage your va-gee-gee than scratch your ass, I will make sure that I wear my chastity belt with the optional rear safety guard when you are celebrating around the rainbow cross walk downtown.

Raider said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

That is a really good question. After nearly two decades of fairly dominant o-line play, that postion has been a serious weakness for the past 5-6 seasons, regardless of how anyone wants to spin it. I would argue it's reached a new rock bottom, based on what I have seen the last two weeks. Spooky.

All I can is that they are young, and Chad is a really good coach. I have faith they will pull out of this at some point, but right now it is very, very spooky.

Hi Raids, great to see you posting again. This board needs all the help it can get from posters who are actually able to objectively talk football, without the Kool-Aid and constant chin music from the ladies. I agree that the o-line has been a weakness since the Pflu days. I think Lurch's recruiting set the stage, and we have not yet recovered. But, we did sign some highly-touted linemen, who did not stay in the program for various reasons, which has compounded the problem.

Back