• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: Meltdown

Ursa Major said:
RobGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:
It wasn't a mistake at all. If you don't know that, then I can't help you.

If the Griz pick up the first down, the Griz win. As it turned out, they didn't and the lack of FG had zero outcome on the result of the game. Do we you really think that if the Griz get 3 then, they don't lose the game. Recall that we lost by 4.

It would have been a tie if we could kick a f***[*] PAT. 3 plus 1 = 4. Stop making shit up--I agreed with box that it wasn't the reason we lost.
If this, if that. If wishes were horses, beggars would ride

I'm saying it was a mistake, Rob. I'm NOT saying it cost us the game.

This exactly. I guess Bobby knew at the time we would lose by four points so the FG attempt was pointless. Good thing we went for two after that early TD, to offset the XP he knew we would miss later on.

I agree. Bad move. Very Stittish.

Ursa Major said:
RobGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:
It wasn't a mistake at all. If you don't know that, then I can't help you.

If the Griz pick up the first down, the Griz win. As it turned out, they didn't and the lack of FG had zero outcome on the result of the game. Do we you really think that if the Griz get 3 then, they don't lose the game. Recall that we lost by 4.

It would have been a tie if we could kick a f***[*] PAT. 3 plus 1 = 4. Stop making shit up--I agreed with box that it wasn't the reason we lost.

I get what you’re saying about putting points on the board, but I also see the validity of going for it there. Like PR said, get the first, get the win.

RobGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
RobGriz said:
Ursa Major said:

I get what you’re saying about putting points on the board, but I also see the validity of going for it there. Like PR said, get the first, get the win.

I get that. Back in the day with a great O line, I would have probably been pissed if we hadn't went for it. Today, not so much.

PlayerRep said:
To me, it wasn't a meltdown. It was just a loss where the Griz let a winnable game slip away.

If you played the game that statement would not make sense. Letting the game slip away is the same thingthing as a meltdown, just an excuse. That is just coach speech material.

I am a huge BH supporter but special teams on that punt return let us down in crunch time. That guy is quick and shifty. With his play throughout the game should we have even given him a chance to return the punt? In a couple years when BH has his special team guys hand picked, and yes I think he recruits with special teams in mind, this would not happen. In the end we didn’t win and from the line, we weren’t picked to win, I say good fight boys. You represented the school well. Fight On!
[/quote]

SeattleBobcat said:
I was seriously impressed with how your guys were playing, cruising to a big win. And my cousin (big griz fan) calls, i get off the phone turn the game back on and bam you guys are down! Wow crazy game. Seriously though, you guys got some great kids playing lights out. Neither of our teams are national championship contenders, shoot neither of us belong in the playoffs. But Bobby has got them playing very well for year one, its only going to get better.
Thanks SeaTown. Pretty cool of a hat tip from the opposition.

To me the biggest issue was stupid penalties. Late in he first half Sneed throws up a long bomb to Toure (I think that is who it was) that caught it on the 2 yard line only to be erased by a holding penalty on Beavers.

Then in the 3rd marching down the filed and another holding penalty that killed the drive.

fltheadgriz said:
To me the biggest issue was stupid penalties. Late in he first half Sneed throws up a long bomb to Toure (I think that is who it was) that caught it on the 2 yard line only to be erased by a holding penalty on Beavers.

Then in the 3rd marching down the filed and another holding penalty that killed the drive.

Those come from an o-line getting destroyed by the D-Line. Better o-line play cleans that one up, but I don’t have a lot of faith that it will happen this season. Holding penalties are just something we will have to live with for the time being.

I feel like I’m beating a dead horse but I think b-walls is right about the o line. O line is by far the most important unit on a team and it is without a doubt our worst unit. This team is so damn close to great but it all hinges on that line to me.

If we had an average o line and not a piss poor one, this game is a 20 point lead going into the 4tj quarter and running the clock out

debellatio said:
PlayerRep said:
To me, it wasn't a meltdown. It was just a loss where the Griz let a winnable game slip away.

If you played the game that statement would not make sense. Letting the game slip away is the same thingthing as a meltdown, just an excuse. That is just coach speech material.

I am a huge BH supporter but special teams on that punt return let us down in crunch time. That guy is quick and shifty. With his play throughout the game should we have even given him a chance to return the punt? In a couple years when BH has his special team guys hand picked, and yes I think he recruits with special teams in mind, this would not happen. In the end we didn’t win and from the line, we weren’t picked to win, I say good fight boys. You represented the school well. Fight On!
[/quote]

I recall the griz giving up many return TDS the last time Bobby was in town

A young team made some undisciplined mental errors . BW is right about the oline , flashes of good and bad .
To all you whining about Sneed ,yes he made his share of mistakes but so did alot of other players .
You win as a team and you lose as a team . Including coaches
This team knows they let this game slip away and will be fired up and refocused this week.
Time to move on and take care of business in WaGriz this coming Saturday .

My take on the "kick or not kick" was Bobby trying to end the game because he had confidence we could pick it up, because it's his mentality. And there was little downside with them being pinned if we didn't get it.

Would I have kicked it? On the road maybe, at home no...but I trust his judgement there. If it's 4th and 3 the thinking is much different.

Haha, everyone saying Hauck should have kicked the field goal. Do you realize that Semenza’s first kick after that passed up field goal was a missed PAT?

jodcon said:
My take on the "kick or not kick" was Bobby trying to end the game because he had confidence we could pick it up, because it's his mentality. And there was little downside with them being pinned if we didn't get it.

Would I have kicked it? On the road maybe, at home no...but I trust his judgement there. If it's 4th and 3 the thinking is much different.
I am trying to totally support this team and coaches. I have to say though I had "Hauck flashbacks" of trying to force the ball up the middle on short yardage with 9 guys in the box on D against Wofford. No one can say if anything else would have worked better, but it seems to me the strength of this team is Sneed's running ability and short yardage passing. Why not try a POR on 3rd/and or 4th down?
Even though this was a damn frustrating loss, up by 10 with 7 to go, mostly caused by bad mistakes and bad breaks, I think both players and coaches will learn from it.

BWahlberg said:
- Speaking on that, and as tweeted to me post-game, a big takeaway from this game to me was that this team didn't seem to be "shell-shocked" like prior Stitt-coached teams would get.

no point to read this biased, stitt-bashing nonsense beyond this line.

argh! said:
BWahlberg said:
- Speaking on that, and as tweeted to me post-game, a big takeaway from this game to me was that this team didn't seem to be "shell-shocked" like prior Stitt-coached teams would get.

Sometimes the truth is right in front of you and it hurts.
No need to comment on the comment then argh.

With all respect to Brint, I think we just shot ourselves in the foot more than a meltdown. You simply just don't pull out to many wins when you give the other team 4 or 5 extra offensive series by turning over the ball. Clean that up we win, maybe not pretty but we win. Two money guys loose the ball, Bingham and JLM. No ding on them it just happens.
I'm still impressed with this team given the youth, one loss does not define this team anymore than the two wins. Let conference play begin.

TCCGRIZ said:
argh! said:
BWahlberg said:

Sometimes the truth is right in front of you and it hurts.
No need to comment on the comment then argh.

this is a football board, not a trying-to-be-teacher's-pet board. or it used to be.

Had they taken the field goal it could have changed the outcome NO ONE knows since they didn't. Ever think if they were down by 1 instead of 4 they might have approached the final drive differently needing only a field goal to win. Do not claim it had nothing to do with it.....it may or may not have but we will never know because they didn't attempt it (Hell dont even know if they would make it, he missed a friggin extra point)

Ursus1 said:
Had they taken the field goal it could have changed the outcome NO ONE knows since they didn't. Ever think if they were down by 1 instead of 4 they might have approached the final drive differently needing only a field goal to win. Do not claim it had nothing to do with it.....it may or may not have but we will never know because they didn't attempt it (Hell dont even know if they would make it, he missed a friggin extra point)

No one knows anything then. I just go with the best info available.

So, you are saying that if UM takes the FG (and, under your view, no one knows if the FG would have been made, or whether it might have been blocked and returned for a TD), then UM doesn't give up a punt return, doesn't fumble a pass, and no. 5 doesn't make several great plays?

Okay, I get it. Ha.

I still say my analysis is the more likely one. But, you are right, if the team bus had shown up 5 minutes later to the stadium, or parked in a different spot, everything might have been different, and no one can know what would have happened or whether UM would have won or lost.

On a unrelated matter...

Did anybody see what is happening to FSU?!

Barely beat the Sisters of the Poor last week and lost to Syracuse yesterday.

Back