• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sac St - Match Up Nightmare

HookedonGriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
HookedonGriz said:
My gut tells me many are chalking this Sac St game up as a easy win. Last time they came to Missoula, they were blown away by 50 pts. This is not that Sac St team.

Football is always a game of match ups and the match ups in this game favor Sac St on many levels.

- QB Kevin Thompson was recruited to UNLV and is a good passer and great runner. He will have some success exploiting our man coverage
- their O Line is very solid
- their D line is quite possibly the tops in the league
- their overall talent and speed matches or exceeds the Griz
- one of the better secondary units in the league
- seasoned coaches who turned this team into a 7–4 team last year
- they took some lumps for a few years but now are littered with 2-3 year veteran starters

We have some nightmare match ups in their D Line vs our O Line and their QB and speedster receivers vs our man coverage in secondary. Also a very seasoned and veteran team vs our youth.

Hold on kids this will not be an easy win and has me a bit worried.

their line is okay. probably talent level of drake but less experienced.
Their D line is decent but not as good as either WIU or UNI.
They have WR speed...lucky that's also what our defense's best attribute.
Their secondary is decent talent wise but communication has not looked great (same problem their coach had here)

Overall their run game is what I think keeps them in games. They don't look good when they can't run the ball. So far, our run D has been pretty good due to our superior linebacker play. They have not shown ability to maintain drives.

UNCO: They had 1 drive vs UNCO for 8 plays, 1 for 7(didn't score) and 1 for 6. all the rest were less than 5 plays. 3 of the 4 scoring drives started inside UNCO territory. They gave up 26 First Downs to UNCO. Gave up 50% 3rd downs and converted 38%. UNCO ran 90 plays on them. One RB had 4 carries and 2 fumbles lost. Their top DL has 7 tackles on the year. 4.5 of those are sacks tho. most their tackling is done by DBs. WR's don't catch the ball a lot but when they do they are long plays. most receptions on the team is 9.

SDSU: I know people will say: They played SDSU tough. No SDSU played themselves tough. Sac had 10 first downs. 33% 3rd down conversion. 230 yards of total offense. SDSU threw 2 Ints in the redzone and sacked 2 times to take them out of FG range on 3rd down. SDSU just played awful. Still racked up 430 total offense. Killed themselves with 8 penalties but held the ball for 36 minutes of the game.

When you go back and watch them play so far this year, they are just so inconsistent. They make a 40 yard run and then stuffed for 3 plays. They throw 5 of 6 on a drive for a TD. Next drive they go 3 and out with 2 sacks. When they get in the redzone they score...no doubt about it. However, when they have a field to go. 60+ yards... they have a hard time keeping things together that long. Yes I think they have a lot of pure talent on that team. I think they have all the issues past griz teams have had. Inconsistent offense. Poor Defensive communication. They have not turned the ball over much this year besides one poor RB. They don't throw interceptions because a lot of their passes are overthrown deep. Streak routes, posts and such will be the main routes to watch. Safety communication will need to improve. I imagine we see a fair amount of cover 2 playing Sac, trying to get help over the top. Sac does not throw down much to the RBs so we should see CBs trailing WRs and forcing good passes. They do have a few TEs they throw the ball too every now and then. LBs and safeties will take most of those duties you presume with the 4-2-5. I see us bringing a LOT of LB blitz to stop the run and to put pressure on the QB. Sac likes developed routes and if we can cause the QB to check out of those or throw early we might be able to get a TO or two. Once again the D needs to just contain this Offense as they don't put together long through drives.

On offense we need to just get in rythem. timing routes will be essential. I liked when we used motion the last game we had more luck running up the middle. drawing ends and LBs eyes to the WR in motion caused some room for our struggling line to get a push. When the LBs and ends didn't cheat out Sneed and JLM had some room on the corners to take the ball and get the edge. look for more of this I would imagine. We also saw some new routes from the WRs last game. We ran 2 zig routes that were wide open but sneed over shot them. Both had the edge if the throw was on time. Sneed also missed a few longer passes where we need to give our WRs a shot to make the play. I think we will find ourselves moving the ball vs Sac and I am hoping some running game will continue to develop this weekend.

At the end of the day I think we will see a similar situation to last week. Sac might hit a few big plays but majority of the game our defense should lock them down pretty well. I think we find ourselves up 10-17 in the 4th quarter and we will see if we can make the right decisions and finish this one out, unlike last week. I see the griz coming home strong in this one winning by 10+ atleast. After watching Sac film... I would say 31-17 Griz.

Very good and fair post. I could see all of that as well. My biggest point in creating this thread was the 4-5 convos I had with pretty knowledgeable Griz fans, them feeling it would be a 35-40 point blowout. I’d be shocked if that happened. I think Sac St will be in this game the entire time.

Oh absolutely. I was not by any means trying to say it was an irrelevant post. its been a pretty good conversation. I do not see this being a 25+ point win here unless something goes wrong for sac. Ticket sales reflect what you are saying about your conversations. I think its going to be a fun game to watch actually and am excited to see what how we execute.

HookedonGriz said:
My gut tells me many are chalking this Sac St game up as a easy win. Last time they came to Missoula, they were blown away by 50 pts. This is not that Sac St team.

Football is always a game of match ups and the match ups in this game favor Sac St on many levels.

- QB Kevin Thompson was recruited to UNLV and is a good passer and great runner. He will have some success exploiting our man coverage
- they took some lumps for a few years but now are littered with 2-3 year veteran starters

We have some nightmare match ups in their D Line vs our O Line and their QB and speedster receivers vs our man coverage in secondary. Also a very seasoned and veteran team vs our youth.

Every teams D Line is a match up nightmare for our O Line

HookedonGriz said:

For me I went from thinking it'll be a win for sure to "holy crap" once I really looked into them. This will be a damn tough game.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:

Every teams D Line is a match up nightmare for our O Line

Valid point :(

BWahlberg said:
HookedonGriz said:

For me I went from thinking it'll be a win for sure to "holy crap" once I really looked into them. This will be a damn tough game.

And that is why you have credibility here sir. I agree!

HookedonGriz said:
BWahlberg said:
HookedonGriz said:

And that is why you have credibility here sir. I agree!
This.

in the prediction thread I have the griz 52-12 but after looking a bit deeper into Sac ST I believe griz 50-10. actually looking at Sac's previous games changes nothing for me.

retiredpopo said:
in the prediction thread I have the griz 52-12 but after looking a bit deeper into Sac ST I believe griz 50-10. actually looking at Sac's previous games changes nothing for me.

That is a silly prediction. If the griz beat SAC by 40 points I will never post here again. I'm not even going to ask you for a bet, I'll just quit posting forever.

Some of you dudes need to get a grip on what is going to happen in the actual game. Yes, the home field advantage is worth between 7-10 points but that's about it. DD can't actually play, and the throwback jerseys aren't worth an any points.

poorgriz said:
retiredpopo said:

That is a silly prediction. If the griz beat SAC by 40 points I will never post here again. I'm not even going to ask you for a bet, I'll just quit posting forever.
So what is your prediction?

poorgriz said:
Some of you dudes need to get a grip on what is going to happen in the actual game. Yes, the home field advantage is worth between 7-10 points but that's about it. DD can't actually play, and the throwback jerseys aren't worth an any points.

Oh man, I though they discovered Super Dave has eligibility and that he was going to suit up. Crap. He'd only play the first half anyway like he did in many games so not a big deal...

poorgriz said:
retiredpopo said:

You should do that anyways, ya know, since this is a Griz Board and you’re a huge troll douche nozzle who has his own shit fan board. But keep being little brother with an infatuation. It’s fitting.

retiredpopo said:
poorgriz said:
retiredpopo said:

I'd go with something like 33 to 26 Sac. Could have sworn I posted a prediction in the thread but not seeing it. They are a scary team, glad MSU isn't playing them this early in the season.

HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
retiredpopo said:

You should do that anyways, ya know, since this is a Griz Board and you’re a huge troll douche nozzle who has his own shit fan board. But keep being little brother with an infatuation. It’s fitting.

Nah. I've said it before but I'm just here to help. Some people just don't want to hear the truth.

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
retiredpopo said:

Nah. I've said it before but I'm just here to help. Some people just don't want to hear the truth.

It would help your cause so much if your ow team was legit or doing great. Literally every single thing you say over here (out of touch, you’re unrealistic, you guys are crazy if....) could be said to your own fan base. Literally every single thing. You talk about a fan base with way too high of expectations based on actual reality...that’s the definition of the Cats. That’s my bigger issue with you, is that you’re a huge hypocrite doing that shit here.

HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:

It would help your cause so much if your ow team was legit or doing great. Literally every single thing you say over here (out of touch, you’re unrealistic, you guys are crazy if....) could be said to your own fan base. Literally every single thing. You talk about a fan base with way too high of expectations based on actual reality...that’s the definition of the Cats. That’s my bigger issue with you, is that you’re a huge hypocrite doing that shit here.

No, not me. I am almost always close with my record predictions. Last year I hit most of the Big Sky schools within one or two games. This year I think I said griz likely 6-5 or 7-4 with 6-5 more likely, and Cats 7-4 or 8-3 with 8-3 more likely. Sticking with those.

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

No, not me. I am almost always close with my record predictions. Last year I hit most of the Big Sky schools within one or two games. This year I think I said griz likely 6-5 or 7-4 with 6-5 more likely, and Cats 7-4 or 8-3 with 8-3 more likely. Sticking with those.

Then why don’t you spend time on your own site straightening out all the posters who are way out of line with their expectations and the Cats team instead of doing that here. If someone over there says “hey we are gonna go 8-3” why don’t you tell them how ridiculous they are like you do here. Oh wait, you just admitted to being one of those who guessed 8-3 😂

Oh and I’m sure you guessed the cats would be 5-6 last year right? Ha yea right.

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
retiredpopo said:

I’m laughing, thinking of all the predictions over on BCN for the cats to put up 40+ points on PSU on the road. I guess it’s not just an egriz thing.

poorgriz said:
retiredpopo said:
poorgriz said:
retiredpopo said:

I'd go with something like 33 to 26 Sac. Could have sworn I posted a prediction in the thread but not seeing it. They are a scary team, glad MSU isn't playing them this early in the season.
Tell you what if the griz win you quit posting if the griz lose I will quit posting. Let’s get it so the moderator bans whoever loses IP address.

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

I can relate, bro. I've been really accurate with my record predictions, too. Last year, I thought UM would go 6-5 to 7-4 at the worst or 8-3 to 9-2 at the best. #Boom, got it right. I was thinking the Bobcats would be 4-7 to 6-4 at the worst and maybe up to 10-1 at the best. #Boom, got it right again.

This year, I'm thinking more like 4-7 to 9-2 for the Griz and 3-8 to 9-2 for the Bobcats. I bet I get them right again.

Back