• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

"The Battle of the Domes"

IdaGriz01

This triggered so much potential for humor, I decided it needed its own thread. At least it prompted some "ink" about the Big Sky out of STATS.com ... and that's generally good. (I know some sneer at Haley and his perceived eastern, or whatever, bias, but he does get read.) http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20181004101247447276504&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

Couple of excerpts:
Haley said:
Idaho State in a rush to beat rival Idaho
... When Idaho visits Idaho State on Saturday for their much-anticipated first meeting in 10 years …
... [ISU] averaging more rushing yards (240.5) than passing yards (224) - something that last happened over a season in 1997
... The Idaho rivals will begin playing each other annually now that the Vandals have returned to the Big Sky from the FBS level. They bring a 28-11 series lead, including 13-6 in Pocatello, into what has been dubbed the "Battle of the Domes." Idaho State has the Holt Arena.
First point: Personally, I have never considered either venue a "dome." They both look more like over-sized Quonset huts. At least ISU simply calls theirs an "arena," but ... "Kiddie Dome"??? Give me a break!

But I had not realized that the Big Sky had agreed to make them "rivals" who would play each other every year. But then, I suppose they deserve each other. :)

Carry on. :coffee:

IdaGriz01 said:
This triggered so much potential for humor, I decided it needed its own thread. At least it prompted some "ink" about the Big Sky out of STATS.com ... and that's generally good. (I know some sneer at Haley and his perceived eastern, or whatever, bias, but he does get read.) http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20181004101247447276504&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

Couple of excerpts:
Haley said:
... When Idaho visits Idaho State on Saturday for their much-anticipated first meeting in 10 years …
... [ISU] averaging more rushing yards (240.5) than passing yards (224) - something that last happened over a season in 1997
... The Idaho rivals will begin playing each other annually now that the Vandals have returned to the Big Sky from the FBS level. They bring a 28-11 series lead, including 13-6 in Pocatello, into what has been dubbed the "Battle of the Domes." Idaho State has the Holt Arena.
First point: Personally, I have never considered either venue a "dome." They both look more like over-sized Quonset huts. At least ISU simply calls theirs an "area," but ... "Kiddie Dome"??? Give me a break!

But I had not realized that the Big Sky had agreed to make them "rivals" who would play each other every year. But then, I suppose they deserve each other. :)

Idaho State was once the U of I Southern Branch. Talk about little brother.

Idaho's rivals were named Montana & ISU.
Montana lost EWU and picked up Idaho.
EWU lost Montana and picked up PSU (I believe).

Ursa Major said:
... Idaho State was once the U of I Southern Branch. Talk about little brother.
True dat!

Some history (in case anyone wondered): The Academy of Idaho opened in 1901 as a prep and vocational-education school. Like all bureaucracies, over time they developed an urge to be a "real" college and/or university. Their lobbying finally pissed off the legislature so much, in 1927, the school became the UI-Southern Branch. It stayed that way for 20 years.

AZGrizFan said:

EWU vs PSU has been a long standing rivalry game since 1968 (The Dam Cup)

AZGrizFan said:

Nope, EWU traded Montana for Idaho. EWU Is still stuck with PSU unfortunately.

alabamagrizzly said:
First off you can’t call a quonset hut a dome. Battle of the sheds is more accurate.

Noted. So, which shed wins?

1. Holt Arena
Capacity: Listed: 12,000. AFA (adjusted for attendance): 426.
Unique Characteristics: Goalposts hang from the rafters because the field goes sideways. Also, the field goes sideways. Seats resemble a swing shift at the Crayola factory. In 1985, an ISU junior named Chad Handy was caught engaging in pre-marital, public necking (not making out, just rubbing necks) with his girlfriend on the ramp leading down to the field during the third quarter of a football game. Both students were expelled and banned from the arena for life. To this day, there are numerous "No Handy" placards posted around the arena. Limited endzone seating.

holt-arena.jpg

2. Kibbie -A SUI Activity Center
Capacity: Listed: 16,000; AFA: 1,227.
Unique Characteristics: Plexi-glass walls. Goalposts also hang from the rafters or are bolted onto the walls. In late 1996, noted CFB enthusiast CDAGRIZ said to his mother, "[The Kibbie Dome] is the worst fucking venue in the history of football. Not just college football; all football." His mother replied, "I asked if you wanted frozen burritos or frozen pizza rolls." Limited endzone seating.

20140913_152410-900x506.jpg

I'll give the nod to Holt Arena. More history. More quirkiness. More shed.

IdaGriz01 said:

Couple of excerpts:
Haley said:
First point: Personally, I have never considered either venue a "dome." They both look more like over-sized Quonset huts. At least ISU simply calls theirs an "area," but ... "Kiddie Dome"??? Give me a break!

Area???

Hammer said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Couple of excerpts:
Haley said:
First point: Personally, I have never considered either venue a "dome." They both look more like over-sized Quonset huts. At least ISU simply calls theirs an [edit] "arena," but ... "Kiddie Dome"??? Give me a break!

Area???
Oops. :oops:

But thanks for the chance to fix it. :lol:

IdaGriz01 said:
Hammer said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Couple of excerpts:
Haley said:
First point: Personally, I have never considered either venue a "dome." They both look more like over-sized Quonset huts. At least ISU simply calls theirs an [edit] "arena," but ... "Kiddie Dome"??? Give me a break!

Area???
Oops. :oops:

But thanks for the chance to fix it. :lol:

Area was correct.

Da Boyz Mom said:
Did ISU ever get decent turf? That field was the reason for a few ugly broken bones back in the day.
It was definitely crap, and dangerous, way back when. Even walking on it (which we did, once) you could tell how bad it was. But I heard that they had upgraded the surface. Have not been inside to walk on the field in years, so I can't say for sure one way or another.

CDAGRIZ said:
alabamagrizzly said:
First off you can’t call a quonset hut a dome. Battle of the sheds is more accurate.

Noted. So, which shed wins?

1. Holt Arena
Capacity: Listed: 12,000. AFA (adjusted for attendance): 426.
Unique Characteristics: Goalposts hang from the rafters because the field goes sideways. Also, the field goes sideways. Seats resemble a swing shift at the Crayola factory. In 1985, an ISU junior named Chad Handy was caught engaging in pre-marital, public necking (not making out, just rubbing necks) with his girlfriend on the ramp leading down to the field during the third quarter of a football game. Both students were expelled and banned from the arena for life. To this day, there are numerous "No Handy" placards posted around the arena. Limited endzone seating.

holt-arena.jpg

2. Kibbie -A SUI Activity Center
Capacity: Listed: 16,000; AFA: 1,227.
Unique Characteristics: Plexi-glass walls. Goalposts also hang from the rafters or are bolted onto the walls. In late 1996, noted CFB enthusiast CDAGRIZ said to his mother, "[The Kibbie Dome] is the worst fucking venue in the history of football. Not just college football; all football." His mother replied, "I asked if you wanted frozen burritos or frozen pizza rolls." Limited endzone seating.

20140913_152410-900x506.jpg

I'll give the nod to Holt Arena. More history. More quirkiness. More shed.

A slight correction on an otherwise perfect post, the seats in the Steven H. Holt Arena are actually used early 70's dune buggy seats. This came about when the State of Idaho doubled down on the 70's dune buggy craze and purchased a surplus of seats for the St. Anthony's Sand Dunes. They built it but nobody came. As a result the remaining seats were bolted into place at the then new arena.

Thanks, Ursa! That kind of historical insight is why I still read eGriz. Who would've thought the unmolested dunes would give ISU such a windfall?

They replaced the turf five or six years ago, if my memory serves me right.

Coached on the worlds largest brillo pad a number of times before they replaced the turf at holt. It is a bit different sport turf than most, because it needs to be rolled up because of the multiple uses but is much better than the original turf they had.

They are suggesting the first sell out in close to 30 years which is astounding. Until recently the largest crowd I had seen in there was for the 5A state title in 2008 between Highland (Taysom Hill) and Eagle. There were probably 8,000-9,000 people there that night. Most of the Griz-ISU games were lucky to reach 5,000.

I always thought when these 2 areas were built, after WW2 and into the Cold War, they were first designed to be bomb shelters...??? Have I been wrong this whole time?
Football can’t possibly be their original intended purpose

Grizfan-24 said:
They replaced the turf five or six years ago, if my memory serves me right.

Coached on the worlds largest brillo pad a number of times before they replaced the turf at holt. It is a bit different sport turf than most, because it needs to be rolled up because of the multiple uses but is much better than the original turf they had.

They are suggesting the first sell out in close to 30 years which is astounding. Until recently the largest crowd I had seen in there was for the 5A state title in 2008 between Highland (Taysom Hill) and Eagle. There were probably 8,000-9,000 people there that night. Most of the Griz-ISU games were lucky to reach 5,000.

The old turf was the one that rolled up. The new turf is laid down in sections like it is at some other stadiums where it's sometimes removed for other events. As of tonight over 10,000 tickets are pre-sold. I know that's peanuts compared to Wa-Griz, but for us it's a nice change.

Back