• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

"The Battle of the Domes"

garizzalies said:
I always thought when these 2 areas were built, after WW2 and into the Cold War, they were first designed to be bomb shelters...??? Have I been wrong this whole time?
Football can’t possibly be their original intended purpose

This is a common misconception, Garizzalies. Steven H. Holt Arena, with it's roll up floors, was originally designed to serve as a meat packing plant on Monday-Friday. This is in part due to ISU's longest running academic program, the College of Butchering & Processing Meat and Meat byproducts. The original plan was to have the meat packing plant shut down on Friday evenings, hose things off and then roll out the turf for Saturday's big game or the Southeast Idaho RV, Boat, or Sportsman's Shows.

I thought "Brawl of the Wild" was pretty damn lame when they first conceived that name, but it's grown on me some (although I never actually call it that). But "Battle of the Domes" has got to be the stupidest name for a rivalry game I've ever heard.

footballdood said:
AZGrizFan said:
Idaho's rivals were named Montana & ISU.
Montana lost EWU and picked up Idaho.
EWU lost Montana and picked up PSU (I believe).

Nope, EWU traded Montana for Idaho. EWU Is still stuck with PSU unfortunately.
Oh that’s right. EWU was Idaho’s other rival inthe changes

Ursa Major said:
garizzalies said:
I always thought when these 2 areas were built, after WW2 and into the Cold War, they were first designed to be bomb shelters...??? Have I been wrong this whole time?

This is a common misconception, Garizzalies. Steven H. Holt Arena, with it's roll up floors, was originally designed to serve as a meat packing plant on Monday-Friday. This is in part due to ISU's longest running academic program, the College of Butchering & Processing Meat and Meat byproducts. The original plan was to have the meat packing plant shut down on Friday evenings, hose things off and then roll out the turf for Saturday's big game or the Southeast Idaho RV, Boat, or Sportsman's Shows.

This is correct except that the high desert around ISU means that the cattle are so skinny it's actually the College of Processing Meat byproducts and carcass management. Also the Boat shows are so locals can capitalise on the proximity to Great Salt Lake and fish for additional wives.

AZGrizFan said:
Idaho's rivals were named Montana & ISU.
Montana lost EWU and picked up Idaho.
EWU lost Montana and picked up PSU (I believe).

PSU was already a protected game (even has a trophy).

Ursa Major said:
garizzalies said:

:clap: :clap: :clap:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

CDAGRIZ said:
alabamagrizzly said:
First off you can’t call a quonset hut a dome. Battle of the sheds is more accurate.

Noted. So, which shed wins?

1. Holt Arena
Capacity: Listed: 12,000. AFA (adjusted for attendance): 426.
Unique Characteristics: Goalposts hang from the rafters because the field goes sideways. Also, the field goes sideways. Seats resemble a swing shift at the Crayola factory. In 1985, an ISU junior named Chad Handy was caught engaging in pre-marital, public necking (not making out, just rubbing necks) with his girlfriend on the ramp leading down to the field during the third quarter of a football game. Both students were expelled and banned from the arena for life. To this day, there are numerous "No Handy" placards posted around the arena. Limited endzone seating.

holt-arena.jpg

2. Kibbie -A SUI Activity Center
Capacity: Listed: 16,000; AFA: 1,227.
Unique Characteristics: Plexi-glass walls. Goalposts also hang from the rafters or are bolted onto the walls. In late 1996, noted CFB enthusiast CDAGRIZ said to his mother, "[The Kibbie Dome] is the worst f***[*] venue in the history of football. Not just college football; all football." His mother replied, "I asked if you wanted frozen burritos or frozen pizza rolls." Limited endzone seating.

20140913_152410-900x506.jpg

I'll give the nod to Holt Arena. More history. More quirkiness. More shed.

Hahahahaa POTY nominee right here.

Pure gold

SaskGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
... big game or the Southeast Idaho RV, Boat, or Sportsman's Shows.
This is correct except that the high desert around ISU means that the cattle are so skinny it's actually the College of Processing Meat byproducts and carcass management. Also the Boat shows are so locals can capitalise on the proximity to Great Salt Lake and fish for additional wives.
All good points, but you guys are ignoring one of the unforgettable features of the Holt: Indoor rodeo. (For a time, Pokie hosted the National Finals Rodeo.) Not sure how much they do this now, but one advantage of the big shed was that you never missed a sniff of the animal ... Uuuh ... excrement. Cow piss at ten yards makes for a truly memorable experience.

SaskGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
garizzalies said:

Thank you for the correction, Sask! I don't know many ISU grads who DON"T have a minor in Tannery.

IdaGriz01 said:
SaskGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
All good points, but you guys are ignoring one of the unforgettable features of the Holt: Indoor rodeo. (For a time, Pokie hosted the National Finals Rodeo.) Not sure how much they do this now, but one advantage of the big shed was that you never missed a sniff of the animal ... Uuuh ... excrement. Cow piss at ten yards makes for a truly memorable experience.

Wow, so inside the arena smelled just like outside the arena? Gross!

:thumb:
Ursa Major said:
SaskGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
garizzalies said:

Thank you for the correction, Sask! I don't know many ISU grads who DON"T have a minor in Tannery.

IdaGriz01 said:
SaskGriz said:
Ursa Major said:

Not to mention the women doing their business wherever they pleased.

Htowngriz said:
IdaGriz01 said:
SaskGriz said:
Ursa Major said:

Not to mention the women doing their business wherever they pleased.

No, he mentioned the cattle.
Ahhhhh, I'll see myself out.

Diesel said:
Diesel said:
CDA you didn’t explain why the home team changed to the other sideline a few years ago.
At Holt Arena

Just trying to minimize the chance of undercover Handies. Not sure if it worked or not. Kind of an Old Fanshioned measure if you ask me . . .

Back