• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What's it gonna take

jm2142

What will it take to have games be sold out again the past couple years there are always a fair amount of empty seats I remember when people would offer me double the value for one of my tickets so they could go to the game

fanofzoo said:
The way the prices rose for seats it's no wonder, $50 bucks is a little steep.

Huh??

The folks that bitch about our ticket prices need to get out more. Do some research on this and you might be shocked.

Glendivegriz said:
consistent winning

It's interesting. I don't know if any of you have followed this, but Nick Saban has been bitching lately about Alabama not being able to sell their games out. Cannot get much more consistent winning than that......

Back in the day, the stadium had the smoke jumpers and the best mascot in the country. This made the pre game and game day one of the best around.A lot of people and casual fans came because it was a great show as well as a dominant football team. Bobby is going to do his part. The marketing team needs to step their game up, think outside the box and make the game day unique again. That will put those casual fans butts in those remaining empty seats.

Raider said:
fanofzoo said:

Huh??

The folks that bitch about our ticket prices need to get out more. Do some research on this and you might be shocked.

Without doing any research, I would guess that our ticket prices are among the highest in FCS. And, let's face it, the on-field product the last several years has not been good enough to justify that. Hopefully that's starting to change.

The smoke jumpers we're extraordinary. Couldn't wait for the free falling...
Truly miss this at our games...

Raider said:
Glendivegriz said:
consistent winning

It's interesting. I don't know if any of you have followed this, but Nick Saban has been bitching lately about Alabama not being able to sell their games out. Cannot get much more consistent winning than that......

For the record, Saban’s complaint is the students not filling out the 10k-12k seats allotted to them. He’s saying that paying fans would take those seats if the students don’t want them.

blackfootipa said:
Back in the day, the stadium had the smoke jumpers and the best mascot in the country. This made the pre game and game day one of the best around.A lot of people and casual fans came because it was a great show as well as a dominant football team. Bobby is going to do his part. The marketing team needs to step their game up, think outside the box and make the game day unique again. That will put those casual fans butts in those remaining empty seats.

Agree 100%. Monte has become a non entertaining fact. The Pre-game is boring and OUTDATED! Some fans will come back again because of Bobby and winning, but the whole scene needs to get updated.

Htowngriz said:
Raider said:
fanofzoo said:

Huh??

Without doing any research, I would guess that our ticket prices are among the highest in FCS. And, let's face it, the on-field product the last several years has not been good enough to justify that. Hopefully that's starting to change.

Tix for WIU were $15. I believe Liberty was the same. App St may have been $20 but that was 5+ years ago.

fanofzoo said:

Didn't the price go to $50 for Homecoming, Cats and special games a number of years ago, and before attendance started to drop?

We have too many seats so that is why we don't fill up (duh). Die hards will go no matter what win or lose. fair weather fans will go when we win. A certain percent will go because tickets are hard to get and it is a status thing but once there are plenty of seats left those types of fans drop off. As far as ticket prices it does make a difference as you can take your family to EWU game for the price of one ticket here.

reinell30 said:
blackfootipa said:

Agree 100%. Monte has become a non entertaining fact. The Pre-game is boring and OUTDATED! Some fans will come back again because of Bobby and winning, but the whole scene needs to get updated.

What does Monte do pregame now..havent been to a game in about 3 years.

Homecoming is as close to a sellout as we will probably get. probably a hundred or two tickets left. We do charge more for tickets than even NDSU and they should charge a lot. NDSU for big games is 41/51 depending on where you sit. we charge 46/53 I do believe for our big games and we put in 7k more people than the fargodome does. I think fargo dome is like 19k cap and we are 26 cap. If you graph everything we make more money getting 23k at most games at 50 a pop than 26,500 at even 40 a pop. The laws of economics will always dictate ticket prices. we would have to average around 21K a game for them to make a rational decision to lower ticket prices even 10 dollars. Assuming that that 10 dollars would increase attendance back to max. which it wouldn't. 50 bucks for a family of 4 to attend a game..pay for some food another 40 bucks and assuming they live in Missoula...is not feasible. Many families in Missoula do not have additional income of $250.00 to take the kids to a football game on a regular basis

Htowngriz said:
Raider said:
fanofzoo said:

Huh??

This is my thought too. While I still liked the games, and wouldn't use the term on-fieldl product, the program was not as consistently successful and dropped off in recent years, in my view.

The initial question of the OP is a good one. I don't know what it will take, but it would seem that more consistent winning and strong play will increase the level of excitement and interest and bring fans back. Also, some fans left or lowered support while Stitt was here, as they didn't warm up to him. With Bobby back, a lot of that segment is back and excited.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
reinell30 said:
blackfootipa said:

What does Monte do pregame now..havent been to a game in about 3 years.

UNI was okay...rode his motorcycle like he used too. most the time its pretty lame or played out now. Hell for the drake game he just came out with the football team i think

mtgrizfankb said:
Homecoming is as close to a sellout as we will probably get. probably a hundred or two tickets left. We do charge more for tickets than even NDSU and they should charge a lot. NDSU for big games is 41/51 depending on where you sit. we charge 46/53 I do believe for our big games and we put in 7k more people than the fargodome does. I think fargo dome is like 19k cap and we are 26 cap. If you graph everything we make more money getting 23k at most games at 50 a pop than 26,500 at even 40 a pop. The laws of economics will always dictate ticket prices. we would have to average around 21K a game for them to make a rational decision to lower ticket prices even 10 dollars. Assuming that that 10 dollars would increase attendance back to max. which it wouldn't. 50 bucks for a family of 4 to attend a game..pay for some food another 40 bucks and assuming they live in Missoula...is not feasible. Many families in Missoula do not have additional income of $250.00 to take the kids to a football game on a regular basis

Good points...it would be interesting to put together some numbers for schools to see the average distance traveled per fanbase at the games as well. I would be willing to bet money that the Griz are number one in that category based off just geography alone. The huge land mass that Montana encompasses, Missoula being on the furthest most western side, and our large fan base along the high line and eastern Montana in Sidney, Glendive etc.....

Based on those factors I would say Montana fans spend by far more than any fanbase in the nation to watch their team.

Back