• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What's it gonna take

BadlandsGrizFan said:
reinell30 said:
blackfootipa said:
Back in the day, the stadium had the smoke jumpers and the best mascot in the country. This made the pre game and game day one of the best around.A lot of people and casual fans came because it was a great show as well as a dominant football team. Bobby is going to do his part. The marketing team needs to step their game up, think outside the box and make the game day unique again. That will put those casual fans butts in those remaining empty seats.

Agree 100%. Monte has become a non entertaining fact. The Pre-game is boring and OUTDATED! Some fans will come back again because of Bobby and winning, but the whole scene needs to get updated.

What does Monte do pregame now..havent been to a game in about 3 years.

You should drop the "lands" out of your name. Ha.

Raider said:
Glendivegriz said:
consistent winning

It's interesting. I don't know if any of you have followed this, but Nick Saban has been bitching lately about Alabama not being able to sell their games out. Cannot get much more consistent winning than that......

It would help if Alabama would eliminate some cupcakes from their schedule. Really, would you be that excited to see them play a directional school from a bottom tier conference either? Be like us playing Dickinson State.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Homecoming is as close to a sellout as we will probably get. probably a hundred or two tickets left. We do charge more for tickets than even NDSU and they should charge a lot. NDSU for big games is 41/51 depending on where you sit. we charge 46/53 I do believe for our big games and we put in 7k more people than the fargodome does. I think fargo dome is like 19k cap and we are 26 cap. If you graph everything we make more money getting 23k at most games at 50 a pop than 26,500 at even 40 a pop. The laws of economics will always dictate ticket prices. we would have to average around 21K a game for them to make a rational decision to lower ticket prices even 10 dollars. Assuming that that 10 dollars would increase attendance back to max. which it wouldn't. 50 bucks for a family of 4 to attend a game..pay for some food another 40 bucks and assuming they live in Missoula...is not feasible. Many families in Missoula do not have additional income of $250.00 to take the kids to a football game on a regular basis

Good points...it would be interesting to put together some numbers for schools to see the average distance traveled per fanbase at the games as well. I would be willing to bet money that the Griz are number one in that category based off just geography alone. The huge land mass that Montana encompasses, Missoula being on the furthest most western side, and our large fan base along the high line and eastern Montana in Sidney, Glendive etc.....

Based on those factors I would say Montana fans spend by far more than any fanbase in the nation to watch their team.

Absolutely. how many people at a griz game are actually from missoula? half maybe? So now we have 12-15k people traveling probably a minimum of 1 hour to the game. It's quite astonishing the amount of people that go to games. Think about this...we often play at home the same week as MSU. In that case if we have 25K and MSU has 19K. That's 44K people in Montana going to a football game. For a state that as about 1 million people. That's 4-5% of montana's population attending a game.

Glendivegriz said:
Raider said:
Glendivegriz said:
consistent winning

It's interesting. I don't know if any of you have followed this, but Nick Saban has been bitching lately about Alabama not being able to sell their games out. Cannot get much more consistent winning than that......

It would help if Alabama would eliminate some cupcakes from their schedule. Really, would you be that excited to see them play a directional school from a bottom tier conference either? Be like us playing Dickinson State.

game was also at 11am in the morning. college students have a tough time getting up in time to slam a few beers and make it to our 1pm starts

Glendivegriz said:
Raider said:
Glendivegriz said:
consistent winning
Or like 'Bama playing The Citadel out of the FCS Southern Conference -- which they do on November 16, just before the Auburn game. Last year it was Mercer, Chattanooga in 2016. "It's a tradition."

It's become to "same, "same".....Winning and dominance on the field will help some but changing things up would help too. Wish I had suggestions. Plus they need to make half time longer!

Raider said:
Glendivegriz said:
consistent winning

The only thing more consistent than Alabama winning is Nick Saban bitching about something.

reinell30 said:
blackfootipa said:
Back in the day, the stadium had the smoke jumpers and the best mascot in the country. This made the pre game and game day one of the best around.A lot of people and casual fans came because it was a great show as well as a dominant football team. Bobby is going to do his part. The marketing team needs to step their game up, think outside the box and make the game day unique again. That will put those casual fans butts in those remaining empty seats.

Agree 100%. Monte has become a non entertaining fact. The Pre-game is boring and OUTDATED! Some fans will come back again because of Bobby and winning, but the whole scene needs to get updated.

Maybe you need a new pickup for your tailgate. ;)

cclarkblues said:
reinell30 said:
blackfootipa said:

Maybe you need a new pickup for your tailgate. ;)

Can I count on you for my loan? My wife works for Ford and I get a discount and I still can't afford $90k for a truck... I did change my music...and where have you been?

VictorG said:
It's become to "same, "same".....Winning and dominance on the field will help some but changing things up would help too. Wish I had suggestions. Plus they need to make half time longer!

They can’t just make halftime longer

Winning. Having a chance to win the title every year. Do people really come to watch monte? Cmon it’s a football game. Die hard Griz football fans will always be at the games and those that are causal fans will come more often when we start winning like we used to.

Raider said:
Glendivegriz said:
consistent winning

I think we're starting to see a shift in fan attendance nationally. I can think of many people like my parents who are in their mid-70's and have sat in the same seats since Wa-Griz opened. Factors like the weather has had them start to consider not going to later games in the season, I know there's 1000's of other regular season ticket holders that do the same.

On the other end of the spectrum it seems the student interest isn't there like it was before either. The Football team is a constant punching bag on social media through many student outlets and I just don't think many of them think it's something they'd have fun going to. The UM is offering all sorts of giveaways and prizes for student attendance and the football team is doing the fight song in front of them... and still the attendance there seems to be the most lacking.

Montana37 said:
VictorG said:

They can’t just make halftime longer

I know and that's a problem!...that needs to be fixed!!!! :thumb:

Think about all of the things you have to put up with to go to a Griz football game.

First, you have to find a parking place, unless you walk, pedal, stagger or stumble to the game.

Then you have to stand in line. And if you have a backpack, you have to stand in a different line. And if you have a snake in your backpack, you have to stand in a completely different line.

You finally get inside the stadium and you have to share a bathroom with five thousand other people. Then at your seats, you have to watch people eat Pizza Hut and you have to stand up every time they pass by you to hang out with five thousand people in the bathroom, or get more Pizza-like substance, or play grab-ass with their friends, or whatever.

You are subjected to the Jimmy John’s Cell Phone Sandwich Race entirely against your will. And the Kiss-Cam. And John Denver. And Axl Rose.

Right after halftime, you’re one of about three hundred people in the stadium, and it’s a good time to put on your galoshes and wade through the men’s room once again. And inside the stadium, there is no beer, except in the box seats, where the powerful and privileged openly consume mass quantities of beer, Manhattans and Brandy Old-Fashioneds,while you furtively pour some Crown Royal into your Diet Coke in the bleachers.

Jesus, I tell you, it’s a wonder they get ten thousand people, much less a full house.

Free entry at halftime, that’ll get butts in seats, maybe. I really don’t know the answer. Winning, good publicity, and marketing are three obvious starting points.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Free entry at halftime, that’ll get butts in seats, maybe. I really don’t know the answer. Winning, good publicity, and marketing are three obvious starting points.

Didn't they used to allow people in at halftime for free? I can remember in the early 2000's when I was in middle school we got in for free at halftime, although maybe they didn't care if it was kids.

Anyway, selling beer in the stadium would make a ~$50 ticket a little more enticing. I go to games when I can, but since I am not a student anymore, its getting a bit expensive. Also, most home games are broadcast on Root, yes? Watching an actual good broadcast for my favorite college football team in the comfort of my own home, with refreshments a mere few steps away in my fridge, and my Lazy-Boy, is something to look forward too if tickets are too expensive.

That might be why attendance is down at the college and pro levels of football all across the country. The games are broadcast well, and you can save money while not leaving your own house.

AllWeatherFan said:
Think about all of the things you have to put up with to go to a Griz football game.

First, you have to find a parking place, unless you walk, pedal, stagger or stumble to the game.

Then you have to stand in line. And if you have a backpack, you have to stand in a different line. And if you have a snake in your backpack, you have to stand in a completely different line.

You finally get inside the stadium and you have to share a bathroom with five thousand other people. Then at your seats, you have to watch people eat Pizza Hut and you have to stand up every time they pass by you to hang out with five thousand people in the bathroom, or get more Pizza-like substance, or play grab-ass with their friends, or whatever.

You are subjected to the Jimmy John’s Cell Phone Sandwich Race entirely against your will. And the Kiss-Cam. And John Denver. And Axl Rose.

Right after halftime, you’re one of about three hundred people in the stadium, and it’s a good time to put on your galoshes and wade through the men’s room once again. And inside the stadium, there is no beer, except in the box seats, where the powerful and privileged openly consume mass quantities of beer, Manhattans and Brandy Old-Fashioneds,while you furtively pour some Crown Royal into your Diet Coke in the bleachers.

Jesus, I tell you, it’s a wonder they get ten thousand people, much less a full house.

:clap: :clap: :clap: POTY!

I still have night terrors about being run over by a Jimmy John's delivery truck.

AllWeatherFan said:

This is DAMN funny.

Back