• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: Ugly

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
NorthwestFresh said:
Getting blown out 46-0 in the second half during the 8th game of the season in Missoula by a team that had a losing record last year is definitely a sign of improvement from the first game. Programs like Davis and Portland State have all the advantages over UM in terms of facilities, fan support, boosters, you name it. We’re just the little engine that can’t right now but rest assured that Bobby has the choo choo gaining steam!

Think of what disadvantages Bobby has to deal with compared to a Portland State or Cal-Davis and be realistic about this season. It’s not his fault that the Griz have lost three straight games to teams that went a combined 8-25 last season, including a Home loss to a team that went 0-11.

Yes, getting beaten so badly later in the second half is disappointing, but Davis is the 6th ranked team in the country, on top of the conference, has the best QB in the conference, and has only one loss (to Stanford). Davis' record last season is irrelevant to what Davis is doing this season Davis has come from behind several times and scored a bunch of points in a big hurray. I know that doesn't fit your agenda, but those are the facts.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then why, pray tell, do you continue to focus on OUR record last season? How is it that is irrelevant for one team, but not for the other?

Because the only way to compare Stitt to Hauck, and vice versa, is to compare seasons they coached. Stitt coached last year; Hauck coaches this year. Get it?

Comparing records, Stitt did a better job last season than Bobby this season. Was that your point, Coach Lombardi? This is after Bobby brought in a bad FBS/average JC QB transfer to start over last year's starting QB who played very well as a freshman.

NorthwestFresh said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
Yes, getting beaten so badly later in the second half is disappointing, but Davis is the 6th ranked team in the country, on top of the conference, has the best QB in the conference, and has only one loss (to Stanford). Davis' record last season is irrelevant to what Davis is doing this season Davis has come from behind several times and scored a bunch of points in a big hurray. I know that doesn't fit your agenda, but those are the facts.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then why, pray tell, do you continue to focus on OUR record last season? How is it that is irrelevant for one team, but not for the other?

Because the only way to compare Stitt to Hauck, and vice versa, is to compare seasons they coached. Stitt coached last year; Hauck coaches this year. Get it?

Comparing records, Stitt did a better job last season than Bobby this season. Was that your point, Coach Lombardi? This is after Bobby brought in a bad FBS/average JC QB transfer to start over last year's starting QB who played very well as a freshman.

Actually, the season isn't over yet. I think the Griz beat the Cats this year. While it goes both ways, I think that new coaches often have drop offs in the first couple years. Think Hauck did from Glenn. Plfu did from Hauck. Delaney did from Pflu. Stitt did from Delaney.

Sneed is a very good qb, and an improvement over the qb we had last year. He's still near the top of conference in many categories. Going from 4 interceptions to 7 isn't good, but note that the posts of some who say the announcers blamed some of the picks on the receivers. The fumble, while costly was not Sneed's fault in any respect. Jensen played fairly well for a frosh, but Sneed is playing better this year than Jensen did last year.

Neither of the INTs from Sneed were his fault. Both passes to Toure were correct reads and instead of coming back to the ball like WRs are taught Toure settled and waited for the ball. The DB came back to the ball and was rewarded for it.

PlayerRep said:
NorthwestFresh said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Actually, the season isn't over yet. I think the Griz beat the Cats this year. While it goes both ways, I think that new coaches often have drop offs in the first couple years. Think Hauck did from Glenn. Plfu did from Hauck. Delaney did from Pflu. Stitt did from Delaney.

Sneed is a very good qb, and an improvement over the qb we had last year. He's still near the top of conference in many categories. Going from 4 interceptions to 7 isn't good, but note that the posts of some who say the announcers blamed some of the picks on the receivers. The fumble, while costly was not Sneed's fault in any respect. Jensen played fairly well for a frosh, but Sneed is playing better this year than Jensen did last year.

and Jensen is playing better this year than Sneed did last year...time to move on!

Coach said:
Neither of the INTs from Sneed were his fault. Both passes to Toure were correct reads and instead of coming back to the ball like WRs are taught Toure settled and waited for the ball. The DB came back to the ball and was rewarded for it.

you mean like receivers are supposed to be taught.

argh! said:
Coach said:

Like Hauck has said, young and inexperiened team. Do you think the coaches forgot to teach this to the receivers, and remind them in practice if they don't do it?

rgrizfan said:
PlayerRep said:
NorthwestFresh said:
PlayerRep said:

and Jensen is playing better this year than Sneed did last year...time to move on!

Who cares? What Sneed is doing this year is the important thing. Jensen has a lower completion percentage, 58.2%, compared to Sneed's 62.6%. Less rushing yards, by far. Sneed's 3 picks last game moved him to more picks, over Jensen's 4 picks. Sneed has thrown more passes. And level of competition?

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
Coach said:

Like Hauck has said, young and inexperiened team. Do you think the coaches forgot to teach this to the receivers, and remind them in practice if they don't do it?

no, they didn't forget. but they obviously weren't particularly effective in getting their point across.

regarding inexperience, toure is a redshirt sophmore. is that inexperienced for a fcs-level wide receiver? i don't think so.

Coach said:

Can't comment on the second one because I didn't see it clearly, but I disagree on the first INT. That pass never had a chance. I could see that it was going to be intercepted as it was leaving his hand.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
Coach said:

no, they didn't forget. but they obviously weren't particularly effective in getting their point across.

regarding inexperience, toure is a redshirt sophmore. is that inexperienced for a fcs-level wide receiver? i don't think so.

He has played a bit over 1.5 seasons. He's in-between. I think of juniors and seniors as being experienced. Obviously, exceptions both ways.

Coming back for the ball is not something that takes years of college....high school kids are taught and know that. Considering Pease is the best WR coach in the country (Haucks desciption not mine) there are problems.....

Coach said:

Sounds like a failure in coaching the WRs.

Sneed is definitely a great athlete, and fierce competitor, but I'm not 100% certain he's a better overall QB than Jensen. Jensen's advantage is his ability in the long passing game, where Sneed has been maddening at this this season. However, turnovers and offensive line have been the real crux of our issue this season: turnovers prevented potential wins against WIU and even Portland State (an ugly game we were in until the end); they also dug deeper holes against North Dakota and Davis.

Ursus1 said:
Coming back for the ball is not something that takes years of college....high school kids are taught and know that. Considering Pease is the best WR coach in the country (Haucks desciption not mine) there are problems.....

And the problem isn't Pease.

The main problem is fans who don't understand the game and know what is going on with the Griz program, in my view.

grizband said:
Sneed is definitely a great athlete, and fierce competitor, but I'm not 100% certain he's a better overall QB than Jensen. Jensen's advantage is his ability in the long passing game, where Sneed has been maddening at this this season. However, turnovers and offensive line have been the real crux of our issue this season: turnovers prevented potential wins against WIU and even Portland State (an ugly game we were in until the end); they also dug deeper holes against North Dakota and Davis.

There is a lot more to being a good qb than long passing. Jeez, look at what Maier did to UM last Saturday with accurate shorter passes and pretty good pass protection. He completed zero longer passes.

Leadership, short to medium passing ability, mobility, running, etc. Also, some seem to forget Jensen's interceptions, and his other mistakes. And his frequent throws into the ground on swing passes, especially early in games. I just don't get the fascination.

The fixation with Jensen's supposedly good long passing ability is almost weird to me. As I said in another post, some of you would be trying to run off Craig Ochs based on his first year stats at UM.

PlayerRep said:
Ursus1 said:

The main problem is fans who don't understand the game and know what is going on with the Griz program, in my view.

Coach Lombardi doesn't watch the same game we mortals watch. Are you saying Toure ignored his excellent position coach? That an even worse problem, isn't it.

Do you think the Spice Girls and an oak tree are the same thing? Man, I don't. They are largely unrelated.

PlayerRep said:
Ursus1 said:

So, the problem so far isn't Bobby. It isn't Rosy. It isn't Pease. And it isn't Baer. And it isn't Schillinger. And it isn't Sneed.

We're runnin' outta options, Playa. Quickly.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
Ursus1 said:

So, the problem so far isn't Bobby. It isn't Rosy. It isn't Pease. And it isn't Baer. And it isn't Schillinger. And it isn't Sneed.

i think he's trying to say it is your fault. and mine. i'm afraid we've f-ed it up big time, and really, the only right thing to do is resign our highly influential positions.

argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
Ursus1 said:

i think he's trying to say it is your fault. and mine. i'm afraid we've f-ed it up big time, and really, the only right thing to do is resign our highly influential positions.

What's the obsession with fixing blame right now? We have a 1st year coaching staff, an undermanned and inexperienced o-line, ditto for the secondary. The Griz have the depth required across the roster to compete for a solid half, and not much more. This was WELL KNOWN before the season started! None of this should be surprising people.

If you want to cast blame - a case can be made for a couple of coaches who have been with the program for years...but even those arguments have flaws. Gotta find some patience, unless you want to keep banging the "Stitt got a raw deal" drum, which IMO is lame.

SoldierGriz said:
argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

What's the obsession with fixing blame right now? We have a 1st year coaching staff, an undermanned and inexperienced o-line, ditto for the secondary. The Griz have the depth required across the roster to compete for a solid half, and not much more. This was WELL KNOWN before the season started! None of this should be surprising people.

If you want to cast blame - a case can be made for a couple of coaches who have been with the program for years...but even those arguments have flaws. Gotta find some patience, unless you want to keep banging the "Stitt got a raw deal" drum, which IMO is lame.

there are many reasons behind the crappy performance lately, and not all of them are under the coaching staff's control. that was also true for previous coaches, i.e. losing the #1 qb the last three years. i'm just having a laugh at the expense of the many who deified hauck, and made pronouncements like the griz will win the turnover battles, not give up 3rd and long, not get blown out, etc, etc...

as for stitt, i don't know if he got a raw deal or not. i've been told that time will tell.

Latest posts

Back