• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Jeremy Calhoun

I am curious how the other seniors feel about him quitting this season while they are still fighting for a playoff spot.

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
kemajic said:
HookedonGriz said:
He has 41 carries for 209 averaging 5.1 ypc. I’d take that all day.

In his only game were in my opinion he was allowed to get lots of carriers and get into a rhythm he had 16 carries for 99 yards averaging 6.2 ypc
So he finally got into rhythm, was available and then tells the coach he would prefer to sit the two rivalry games and consume a RS schollie next year. He had 206 yards net in 41 carries for a 5.0 average for the season. He was the best RB we had when he was available and it wasn't even close. That is the point, his availability. If you are HC do you go to the bank on a RB that is available for 4 games in a season? For his career in 4 years, he played in 35 of his teams 46 games and rushed 376 times for 1736 yards, an average of 94 carries and 434 yards per season and an average of 4.6 yards per carry. That is good production but it can be replaced next year.

he also already sacrificed his freshman (likely redshirt) year for the team. and, as you note, he has endured many injuries and didn't hang it up, like i'm sure others would have.

or... if his production can be replaced next year, why not this? do you really think there are many rbs as good as calhoun out there playing h.s. football?

He doesn't seem to have missed any games due to injury in his last 3 years, other than he missed one game in 2016 and he had a concussion this year that caused him to miss some games. Where is all this injury stuff coming from? I don't recall, but the games played don't support lots of missed games due to injury.
His availability this year was affected by more than injury.

kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:
argh! said:
kemajic said:
You are setting a new record for crybaby posts regarding an issue that has been resolved and is in the rear view mirror. You're just about to pass Argh's whining about poor Gresch Jenson. Or the democrat's denial of who won the 2016 election. We care about this week's game with MSU; you just care about a HC's decision that was his to make.

the king of take-my-ball-and-go-home crybabies has spoken, and dishonestly, as usual.

it would've been worth having stitt another year just to get rid of bad fans like you, kem.

"If they don't fix the coaching situation to my personal satisfaction, I'm not supporting this team anymore. Hmmph!" Pure gold.
That is not a quote so don't use the quotation marks, but that is your style, OK. My posturing was prior to a crossroads decision was made and I was not sure UM had the balls to make the right decision; had they not I would have lost more respect for their choices (remember Engstrom). Yes, my enthusiasm for the program would have taken a nosedive, but I would not be a persistent whiner on eGriz over spilt milk.

Posturing before a decision is far different than continuous whining after decisions already made. It is a total waste of energy to readdress decisions already made let alone maintain a barrage of negativity when it is in the rearview mirror. BH is our HC; we are lucky to have him; he is paid to make decisions that affect players and the program and it is not his first rodeo. It is fine to express disagreement at the point of the decision; it is lame to keep it up and keep it up.

Yet you keep going on, and on, and on about it, too. There are two sides to this thing. You are very vocal about your Haucksucking side and I’m very vocal that he handled this like shit in my opinion. That’s what a message board is for, discussion and dare I say it, disagreements (gasp!).

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
I don't agree. 99 yards was much better than any of our other backs got, and is pretty good against any team. Ever play the game?

In his only game were in my opinion he was allowed to get lots of carriers and get into a rhythm he had 16 carries for 99 yards averaging 6.2 ypc
So he finally got into rhythm, was available and then tells the coach he would prefer to sit the two rivalry games and consume a RS schollie next year. He had 206 yards net in 41 carries for a 5.0 average for the season. He was the best RB we had when he was available and it wasn't even close. That is the point, his availability. If you are HC do you go to the bank on a RB that is available for 4 games in a season? For his career in 4 years, he played in 35 of his teams 46 games and rushed 376 times for 1736 yards, an average of 94 carries and 434 yards per season and an average of 4.6 yards per carry. That is good production but it can be replaced next year.

During Calhoun's soph and junior years, he played in all but 1 game. Was very available. In 2017, gained 684 for 4.3 average. In 2016, gained 555 for 7.2 average. Has scored 27 TD's in his career, of which only 2 this year.

In past 3 years, has averaged 5.24 per carry.

Most of the games Calhoun has missed have been this year, as well as 3 his frosh year, when he wasn't a starter.

Correct and you may recall he took off that redshirt his freshman year to (gasp) help the team! We got thin at RB and he came in as a true freshman to contribute. Not worth much in many eyes here apparently.

Hauck just said on the radio that Calhoun "walked in and said he wanted to redshirt." "Coaches decide who redshirts, not players"

HookedonGriz said:
kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:
argh! said:
the king of take-my-ball-and-go-home crybabies has spoken, and dishonestly, as usual.

it would've been worth having stitt another year just to get rid of bad fans like you, kem.

"If they don't fix the coaching situation to my personal satisfaction, I'm not supporting this team anymore. Hmmph!" Pure gold.
That is not a quote so don't use the quotation marks, but that is your style, OK. My posturing was prior to a crossroads decision was made and I was not sure UM had the balls to make the right decision; had they not I would have lost more respect for their choices (remember Engstrom). Yes, my enthusiasm for the program would have taken a nosedive, but I would not be a persistent whiner on eGriz over spilt milk.

Posturing before a decision is far different than continuous whining after decisions already made. It is a total waste of energy to readdress decisions already made let alone maintain a barrage of negativity when it is in the rearview mirror. BH is our HC; we are lucky to have him; he is paid to make decisions that affect players and the program and it is not his first rodeo. It is fine to express disagreement at the point of the decision; it is lame to keep it up and keep it up.

Yet you keep going on, and on, and on about it, too. There are two sides to this thing. You are very vocal about your Haucksucking side and I’m very vocal that he handled this like shit in my opinion. That’s what a message board is for, discussion and dare I say it, disagreements (gasp!).

Ahem. :coffee: :coffee:

Paytonlives said:
Hauck just said on the radio that Calhoun "walked in and said he wanted to redshirt." "Coaches decide who redshirts, not players"

Interesting. Well I think both mishandled it. You don’t make demands to the head coach but at the same time Bobby should have heard him out and found some common ground. I do it all the time as a lawyer. Hauck had a hard balance of what’s best for the student-athlete and the team. He ultimately should have allowed this but overreacted which I understand because he helps now. However, this was mishandled and is an unwanted distraction.

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
I don't agree. 99 yards was much better than any of our other backs got, and is pretty good against any team. Ever play the game?

During Calhoun's soph and junior years, he played in all but 1 game. Was very available. In 2017, gained 684 for 4.3 average. In 2016, gained 555 for 7.2 average. Has scored 27 TD's in his career, of which only 2 this year.

Most of the games Calhoun has missed have been this year, as well as 3 his frosh year, when he wasn't a starter.

He actually missed three games his sophomore year!

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
kemajic said:

he also already sacrificed his freshman (likely redshirt) year for the team. and, as you note, he has endured many injuries and didn't hang it up, like i'm sure others would have.

or... if his production can be replaced next year, why not this? do you really think there are many rbs as good as calhoun out there playing h.s. football?

He doesn't seem to have missed any games due to injury in his last 3 years, other than he missed one game in 2016 and he had a concussion this year that caused him to miss some games. Where is all this injury stuff coming from? I don't recall, but the games played don't support lots of missed games due to injury.
Yea but everyone wants to blow the suspension off.

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:
kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Oh yes....sorry:

“Haucksucker is an official trademark of AZGrizFan and company and should only be used when calling out those who are so loyal to Coach Hauck they throw any and all other reasoning to the wind to defend him and all that he stands for at any and all costs. If given the opportunity, a Haucksucker would replace the Statue or Liberty herself with a golden statue of Coach Hauck and pledge allegiance to it twice a day and three times on Sundays. Moving forward, it is hereby deemed that any further use of the aforementioned term Haucksucker must be followed by the following new symbol showing both copyright and trademark specifics for said nickname: “AZGrizFan - HS”

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:
kemajic said:

Oh yes....sorry:

“Haucksucker is an official trademark of AZGrizFan and company and should only be used when calling out those who are so loyal to Coach Hauck they throw any and all other reasoning to the wind to defend him and all that he stands for at any and all costs. If given the opportunity, a Haucksucker would replace the Statue or Liberty herself with a golden statue of Coach Hauck and pledge allegiance to it twice a day and three times on Sundays. Moving forward, it is hereby deemed that any further use of the aforementioned term Haucksucker must be followed by the following new symbol showing both copyright and trademark specifics for said nickname: “AZGrizFan - HS”

Thank you. I’ll let this one slide...

Paytonlives said:

So let's say that's true couldn't hauk have said no to Calhoun's request and just kept him on the team the rest of the year anyway.
If Calhoun would have had a problem with that he could have just quit, and it would be on him.
In my opinion it seems the "my way or the highway" mentality, by hauck. So much for the he's matured alot since he left for unlv.

braves84 said:
Paytonlives said:
So let's say that's true couldn't hauk have said no to Calhoun's request and just kept him on the team the rest of the year anyway.
If Calhoun would have had a problem with that he could have just quit, and it would be on him.
In my opinion it seems the "my way or the highway" mentality, by hauck. So much for the he's matured alot since he left for unlv.
Protecting his year of eligibility was more important than helping his teammates win these two rivalry games. He got his year of eligibility. We'll never know whether he insisted or whether BH tried to talk him out of it. Clearly the coaches wanted him for these two games.

braves84 said:
Paytonlives said:

pretty sure that is what happened. JC asked to redshirt and BH said no and JC quit, hoping he could maybe play somewhere else next year. Seems like a lot will have to fall into place for that to happen.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
kemajic said:

True. He turned around and threw a punch when someone grabbed him. Was suspended for 3 games. Do you think he would likely to lose playing time for something like this again?

If he had been able to play next year, how many games would you expect him to have missed? My guess is zero.

Kokanee said:
I am curious how the other seniors feel about him quitting this season while they are still fighting for a playoff spot.

Do you think he quit? What's your evidence or source?

dayday said:
Paytonlives said:

Interesting. Well I think both mishandled it. You don’t make demands to the head coach but at the same time Bobby should have heard him out and found some common ground. I do it all the time as a lawyer. Hauck had a hard balance of what’s best for the student-athlete and the team. He ultimately should have allowed this but overreacted which I understand because he helps now. However, this was mishandled and is an unwanted distraction.

Do you think he "demanded" a redshirt? What's your source?

catsack said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
HookedonGriz said:

He actually missed three games his sophomore year!

No, he didn't. He played in 10 games. Look at the stats.

And, now that I a reminded, he "missed" some games as a frosh because he was redshirting at the beginning of the year.

PlayerRep said:
Kokanee said:

Do you think he quit? What's your evidence or source?

MISSOULA – Jeremy Calhoun is no longer on the Montana Grizzlies football team. When asked about it, head coach Bobby Hauck simply said, “He decided he didn’t want to play anymore.”

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

True. He turned around and threw a punch when someone grabbed him. Was suspended for 3 games. Do you think he would likely to lose playing time for something like this again?

If he had been able to play next year, how many games would you expect him to have missed? My guess is zero.
A guess is fine, but rather than offer a guess, I would assign a risk that he would miss some games based on his history. You like history. My guess is that BH did the same.

Back