• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Nice job Big Sky

Ursa Major said:
Spanky2 said:
The Griz didn’t make the play offs. The Cats got destroyed which is unfortunate for dual Cat-Griz fans. Now, I observe many of you are cheering for the other Big Sky teams, although one poster doesn’t like older Mormons, so he isn’t cheering for Weber. I don’t like any opponents of UM, so would never cheer for another Big Sky team. But if you are happy cheering for our conference opponents, to each his own.

Christmas must be a blast at your house.

What’s the itenerary this year?

Traditional gruel holiday dinner followed by the kids beating the Coach Stitt piniata filled with stale candy. Then it’s off to bed early with severe abdominal pain.

This is POTY material

Montana90 said:
I heard that NDSU gives compensation to their athletics as well as scholarships, it True that would be a huge advantage. That could explain the dominant program.

Yes both NDSU and UND made the decision to invest in “cost of attendance” stipends. Each player gets $ to help with living expenses and food. Beleive it comes out to about 3k-4k per athlete.

If UM does it then MSU would have to and vice versa to keep up the recruiting advantages. So far the BOR and schools have avoided it.

CDAGRIZ said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Ursa Major said:
Spanky2 said:
The Griz didn’t make the play offs. The Cats got destroyed which is unfortunate for dual Cat-Griz fans. Now, I observe many of you are cheering for the other Big Sky teams, although one poster doesn’t like older Mormons, so he isn’t cheering for Weber. I don’t like any opponents of UM, so would never cheer for another Big Sky team. But if you are happy cheering for our conference opponents, to each his own.

Traditional gruel holiday dinner followed by the kids beating the Coach Stitt piniata filled with stale candy. Then it’s off to bed early with severe abdominal pain.

Spanky’s grandkids are older than you, Ursa!

Just think of all the Werther's Original in that pinata, though!!! Reading this makes me want to send back soup.
:lol: Chock full of those butterscotch discs, too. They sold the industrial size bags for pennies on the dollar when the Yellowfront drugstore went out of business back in '91.

Ursa Major said:
CDAGRIZ said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Ursa Major said:

Spanky’s grandkids are older than you, Ursa!

Just think of all the Werther's Original in that pinata, though!!! Reading this makes me want to send back soup.
:lol: Chock full of those butterscotch discs, too. They sold the industrial size bags for pennies on the dollar when the Yellowfront drugstore went out of business back in '91.

That's right. Damned big box stores put them out of biz. At least these are still a big hit around the Spanky homestead on Halloween:

CreateMyTee-Halloween-Candy_15944.jpg

Just as a quick aside, put a dab of this on your neck next time you take a gal to the drive in:

$_3.JPG

Anyway, I'm off to shop for shoes. Can't wear these white on white New Balance anymore. Too flashy, and I'm looking for something more comfortable. Why doesn't anyone sell Sanka? Anyway, I'm off to shop for shoes.

BozAngelesGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
RABIDAWG said:
In watching Weber, UC Davis, EWU, & NDSU, I am of the opinion that both Montana teams are not playoff caliber yet. Many years to go.

How can you say a team isn't playoff calibre when the team is selected for the playoffs and has a convincing first round win. That is the definition of playoff calibre. If you want to say that neither MSU or UM are top 10 caliber, no one would disagree.

Sure, in the 24-team bracket the Cats were “playoff caliber.” But one would like to assume that a “playoff caliber” team, any one of them, would at least have a shot at going to the Natty. That’s just not the case with the current system...take for example the Pioneer league auto-bid. Hell, WE were “playoff caliber,” but had no rightful place competing for the championship either. If you aren’t seeded, you’re just getting a participation trophy and maybe some exposure for your program.

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you don’t watch much college sports.

If you look at every single college post season for any sports and there is a bunch of teams that have no shit of being national champions in every single one.

As a matter of fact, if the FBS had the same format in football as FCS it would be the same. 20 plus teams with no chance.

BozAngelesGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
RABIDAWG said:
In watching Weber, UC Davis, EWU, & NDSU, I am of the opinion that both Montana teams are not playoff caliber yet. Many years to go.

How can you say a team isn't playoff calibre when the team is selected for the playoffs and has a convincing first round win. That is the definition of playoff calibre. If you want to say that neither MSU or UM are top 10 caliber, no one would disagree.

Sure, in the 24-team bracket the Cats were “playoff caliber.” But one would like to assume that a “playoff caliber” team, any one of them, would at least have a shot at going to the Natty. That’s just not the case with the current system...take for example the Pioneer league auto-bid. Hell, WE were “playoff caliber,” but had no rightful place competing for the championship either. If you aren’t seeded, you’re just getting a participation trophy and maybe some exposure for your program.
Yeah, like the 9-7 2011 new year giants. What a bunch of non playoff caliber clowns who were given that participation trophy after they won the super bowl. What a freaking joke the playoffs have turned into.

Montana90 said:
I heard that NDSU gives additional compensation to their players besides scholarships, is that true and will the Big Sky need to go that direction?

:thumb: https://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2015/08/ndsu-to-pay-athletes/

DuCharme said:
Montana90 said:
I heard that NDSU gives additional compensation to their players besides scholarships, is that true and will the Big Sky need to go that direction?

:thumb: https://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2015/08/ndsu-to-pay-athletes/

Cost of Attendance in this blog is provided by their boosters I assume via their Athletic Foundation. Wonder how many other 1-AA public institutions have turned their athletic department over to their foundations as the ACC and SEC has done.

Recall how adament some college administrators and state government officials in Georgia were about that eventuality because they predicted exactly how powerful the athletic departments would become with competent businessmen running the departments instead of governmental bureaucratic personnel.

BozAngelesGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
RABIDAWG said:

So, do you think that only teams with a realistic shot of winning the NCAA basketball tourney should be in the tourney? How many teams? 5? 10? 15?

In FCS football, under your view, only the NDSU would be selected. No one is going to be them this year. May as well cancel the playoffs and just give them the trophy.

The Cats made it to the sound of16, but, in your view, weren't playoff caliber.

PlayerRep said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
RABIDAWG said:

So, do you think that only teams with a realistic shot of winning the NCAA basketball tourney should be in the tourney? How many teams? 5? 10? 15?

In FCS football, under your view, only the NDSU would be selected. No one is going to be them this year. May as well cancel the playoffs and just give them the trophy.

Honestly curious...they “made it to the sound of 16?” I don’t see how they would make it on a 16 team format.

PAGriz said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
RABIDAWG said:

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you don’t watch much college sports.

If you look at every single college post season for any sports and there is a bunch of teams that have no shit of being national champions in every single one.

As a matter of fact, if the FBS had the same format in football as FCS it would be the same. 20 plus teams with no chance.

Sure, let’s expand our playoff bracket to 68 teams. Fair comparison.

BozAngelesGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Honestly curious...they “made it to the sound of 16?” I don’t see how they would make it on a 16 team format.

That's irrelevant. It shows that your thinking that they are not playoff caliber is wrong. They were. They made the round of 16. It shows that 24 teams should be selected, because the playoff committee is not capable of selecting the top 16 teams.

PlayerRep said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

That's irrelevant. It shows that your thinking that they are not playoff caliber is wrong. They were. They made the round of 16. It shows that 24 teams should be selected, because the playoff committee is not capable of selecting the top 16 teams.

...by beating incarnate ward.

BozAngelesGriz said:
PAGriz said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Huh, no one said anything about expanding the field. You said that only teams capable of winning should be selected. Do you want to shrink the ncaa basketball tourney selections.

There are 351 D-I basketball teams. There are 124 FCS teams. The percentage of teams getting into the playoffs/tourney is pretty much the same.

PlayerRep said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
PAGriz said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

Huh, no one said anything about expanding the field. You said that only teams capable of winning should be selected. Do you want to shrink the ncaa basketball tourney selections.

There are 351 D-I basketball teams. There are 124 FCS teams. The percentage of teams getting into the playoffs/tourney is pretty much the same.

This is a football forum, so I won’t talk basketball. But my point stands...the playoffs are watered-down. If the Pioneer gets to send a team every year, then a LOT of other teams could be considered “playoff-caliber.”

BozAngelesGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
RABIDAWG said:

What about when Unseeded Youngstown State went all the way to the Natty?

Most teams in the 24 team playoffs are just cannon fodder. Yet sometimes a team gets hot and deserves to be in the mix.

I believe James Madison became champs one year after winning all four games on the road. That is a hell of a feat. I think that may have been the one and only time that happened.

BozAngelesGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
RABIDAWG said:

I’d go with this....the top 16 could have a shot. For now, no Montana programs fit into the 16, and are far away from 10.

Back