• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz at UNC Game Thread

IdaGriz01 said:
cmtgrizzly said:
70-44. Griz. 9:00
Incredible.

And frustrating: This just proves that this team never should have lost to EWU. The PSU loss you can perhaps blame on a slight down night and a super-hot Viking guy. But the loss at EWU was purely a lack of focus and "want to."

Kind of like the football team. Periods of pure dominance with just as intense periods of poor play and struggle. Though the Bball team ceiling is probably higher within the conference than the football team’s was.

AZGrizFan said:
IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:
I give up trying to understand this team.
Absolute Jekyll and Hyde.
If they had played like THIS on Thursday they’d have beaten EWU by 30.
Totally agree.

Let's hope they're not (as somebody mentioned) a team that plays up or down to the perceived level of the opponent. The bad news on that score is that their next game is at Idaho, another s**t team. Who will show up for that: Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde?

Terrific W on the road, that nullifies the PSU loss. The team played terrific for a full game. I don't recall any long scoring draughts either. Defense didn't give up too many open looks. Moorehead played a terrific defensive game. This team even paid attention to minor details that made a huge difference.
They were looking for mismatches within the design of the offense. We saw more than just Akoh taking advantage of his inside matchups. They even had Moorehead use his height advantage a few times inside, which is very rare. They took care of the ball, like great teams are supposed to do. I like the ball being touched my Pridgett more often. He is absolutely our most versatile scorer and player. He can absolutely do it all. It was nice to see the team concede to him. Again, something I was asking for after the PSU game.

The team finally proved, they are capable of doing everything necessary to be a dynamic championship caliber team. They need to now prove they can do it game in, game out!!!! Here is to hoping the GRIZ can keep this kind of focus and results. #bounceback

mtgrizrule said:
Terrific W on the road, that nullifies the PSU loss. The team played terrific for a full game. I don't recall any long scoring draughts either. Defense didn't give up too many open looks. Moorehead played a terrific defensive game. This team even paid attention to minor details that made a huge difference.
They were looking for mismatches within the design of the offense. We saw more than just Akoh taking advantage of his inside matchups. They even had Moorehead use his height advantage a few times inside, which is very rare. They took care of the ball, like great teams are supposed to do. I like the ball being touched my Pridgett more often. He is absolutely our most versatile scorer and player. He can absolutely do it all. It was nice to see the team concede to him. Again, something I was asking for after the PSU game.

The team finally proved, they are capable of doing everything necessary to be a dynamic championship caliber team. They need to now prove they can do it game in, game out!!!! Here is to hoping the GRIZ can keep this kind of focus and results. #bounceback

Said well grizrule. Great Game.

My thoughts as a Vandal who would like Montana to be good and get the Big Sky an NCAA win:
-Pridgett should be option 1 if the defense is collapsing on Akoh. He almost never takes bad shots, gets to the free throw line, and his drives will create openings for other players.
-I like Rorie, but his midrange game is the area Montana should be subtracting shot attempts from. Because he doesn't get to the free throw line, and on many of his drives he is not able to turn his shoulders and finish with in-stride layups, he takes a lot of contested shots. He's a good shooter, but because he's not an explosive three shooter, he has to hit about 60% of his midrange shots to score in a way that's efficient. Also---his drives do not often lead to kickouts. In a lot of ways he's more ideal as a two guard, but the Griz don't have a better option at the 1.
-I wish the Griz had a wing-oriented inside-out game when teams collapse vs. Akoh---meaning open threes are created by the three players who can drive (Rorie, Pridgett, and Oguine) via kickouts, or through motion facilitated at the high post (Akoh or Pridgett as the high post option). They have athletes who can put the ball on the floor, and when the team uses the high post to facilitate the offense they get good shots, but it's not something the team does with regularity.

The thing about Rorie's mid-range game is that last year he was darn near automatic on those shots. Not sure what the difference is this year.

SonOfaGriz said:
My thoughts as a Vandal who would like Montana to be good and get the Big Sky an NCAA win:
-Pridgett should be option 1 if the defense is collapsing on Akoh. He almost never takes bad shots, gets to the free throw line, and his drives will create openings for other players.
-I like Rorie, but his midrange game is the area Montana should be subtracting shot attempts from. Because he doesn't get to the free throw line, and on many of his drives he is not able to turn his shoulders and finish with in-stride layups, he takes a lot of contested shots. He's a good shooter, but because he's not an explosive three shooter, he has to hit about 60% of his midrange shots to score in a way that's efficient. Also---his drives do not often lead to kickouts. In a lot of ways he's more ideal as a two guard, but the Griz don't have a better option at the 1.
-I wish the Griz had a wing-oriented inside-out game when teams collapse vs. Akoh---meaning open threes are created by the three players who can drive (Rorie, Pridgett, and Oguine) via kickouts, or through motion facilitated at the high post (Akoh or Pridgett as the high post option). They have athletes who can put the ball on the floor, and when the team uses the high post to facilitate the offense they get good shots, but it's not something the team does with regularity.

Excellent perceptive & informative analysis. :clap:

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
The thing about Rorie's mid-range game is that last year he was darn near automatic on those shots. Not sure what the difference is this year.

He and most his teammates are pressing with the high expectations. I hope they follow Pridgett's lead, by just letting the game come to them. Pridgett takes what is there, and if nothing is there, he keeps the ball moving. When he is feeling it, he looks to score. When he's not, he doesn't force things. Pridgett is emerging as another superstar. He is a more athletic version of Kareem Jamar. I honestly do feel, this team is better, when Pridgett gets touches.

Back