• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz at UNC Game Thread

grizzlyjournal said:
SonOfaGriz said:
My thoughts as a Vandal who would like Montana to be good and get the Big Sky an NCAA win:
-Pridgett should be option 1 if the defense is collapsing on Akoh. He almost never takes bad shots, gets to the free throw line, and his drives will create openings for other players.
-I like Rorie, but his midrange game is the area Montana should be subtracting shot attempts from. Because he doesn't get to the free throw line, and on many of his drives he is not able to turn his shoulders and finish with in-stride layups, he takes a lot of contested shots. He's a good shooter, but because he's not an explosive three shooter, he has to hit about 60% of his midrange shots to score in a way that's efficient. Also---his drives do not often lead to kickouts. In a lot of ways he's more ideal as a two guard, but the Griz don't have a better option at the 1.
-I wish the Griz had a wing-oriented inside-out game when teams collapse vs. Akoh---meaning open threes are created by the three players who can drive (Rorie, Pridgett, and Oguine) via kickouts, or through motion facilitated at the high post (Akoh or Pridgett as the high post option). They have athletes who can put the ball on the floor, and when the team uses the high post to facilitate the offense they get good shots, but it's not something the team does with regularity.

Excellent perceptive & informative analysis. :clap:

Yes, thank you for your input! Regarding your last point, we do have that type of player who can make threes. Kendall Manuel should get more minutes solely for that reason. He is the only one on the team right now who gets regular minutes who I feel will make the shot when he puts it up. He can nail them from far out, too. More Manuel, please!

My only takeaways from this:
-This teams offense is driven by its defense.
-Kendal Manuel should get more minutes
-Sayeed Pridgett is the most reliable player on the team when it comes to game in game out production, and should start to look for the 3 a little more

UMFan12 said:
My only takeaways from this:
-This teams offense is driven by its defense.
-Kendal Manuel should get more minutes
-Sayeed Pridgett is the most reliable player on the team when it comes to game in game out production, and should start to look for the 3 a little more

That's what makes Sayeed so damn great. If he is not feeling it with his shot, he doesn't keep forcing things to find it. He does it all.

Back