• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What’s up with Timmy?

Timmy's other problem from not always having the best of attitudes as so indicated in the above post by marroonandsilver, is that His offensive mindset doesn't seem to change weather the Griz are playing big or small when assisting in either offensive schemes. Sometimes his quickness/ballhanding/passes are just a bit too far ahead of the Team personnel on the floor..... He needs to realize and adjust to this a bit more as his teammates might not actually have the same exceptional reflexes and quicks/vision...This will become an asset to the Griz squad over time if the Kid hangs in there and is patient. Awesome defender and that is what is really giving him earned time on the floor by Coach Decuire, much like Bobby Morehead...
If Timmy figures it out , the sky's the limit for Him...

grizbro said:
Maybe like Karl last year?

He is exactly like Karl,IMO-both talented guys that don't/can't embrace being a role player to achieve the bigger picture. Some guys HAVE to be the star, and will never accept a part-time role.

mtgrizrule said:
Trust me on this. If he changes to a higher release and follow though, a lot will change for the better.

His shot IS ugly,I agree,but do you REALLY think he's gonna change his shot rotation? Eric Jordan is the only Griz I can recall with a worse shot trajectory.

NativeGriz said:
socalgriz2344 said:
Reminds of another fiery red haired point guard..#4..Mr. Sam Riddle. Gifted player, ability to pass and find players open, but didn’t know when to shut his mouth and it ultimately got him in trouble.

Watching Timmy the last couple of games, he has been pushing hard and playing terrible defense, not
Moving his feet and reaching in frequently. Hope he figures it out because he can be special.
That is an excellent comparison. Sam had a gift, but attitude could take him out of the game. Sam is an excellent musician with regular gig in Vegas.

I agree that it is a very fair and accurate comparison. Riddle could make impressive no-look passes too and also tried way too hard to make such passes, and also fouled way too often on defense. Hopefully Timmy also hasa back-up skill to fall back on, because he won't be making much $ playing basketball for a living either

mtgrizrule said:
Trust me on this. If he changes to a higher release and follow though, a lot will change for the better.

In defense of Timmy changing your shot doesn't always work, ask Bobby.

fanofzoo said:
mtgrizrule said:

That can be true. However, the changes needed for Timmy are simple. Moorehead, not as routine. Moorehead is a leg mechanic that creates imbalance. It's a time consuming repetition to eliminate it.

Timmy, is literally 1 thing, adding a higher release and follow through. He already has great set up, balance, etc. None of that changes. It's something he can quickly see for himself, everytime he follows through. If he commits himself to it, everything else is in place to be a mid 40% 3 point shooter. It's not wise to make changes during the season, but it would take a few days in the off season.

mtgrizrule said:
fanofzoo said:
mtgrizrule said:

That can be true. However, the changes needed for Timmy are simple. Moorehead, not as routine. Moorehead is a leg mechanic that creates imbalance. It's a time consuming repetition to eliminate it.

Timmy, is literally 1 thing, adding a higher release and follow through. He already has great set up, balance, etc. None of that changes. It's something he can quickly see for himself, everytime he follows through. If he commits himself to it, everything else is in place to be a mid 40% 3 point shooter. It's not wise to make changes during the season, but it would take a few days in the off season.

Side spinners like Timmy and Riley Bradshaw need touch for both direction and distance on their shots. Pure shooters (released with direct backspin usually using the seams of the ball as a guide) have direction pretty well dialed in every time they shoot. They need touch for distance but not direction. I've seen quite a few side spinners that can get hot but rarely one who will shoot it consistently night in and out. Timmy is one of those.

mtgrizrule said:
fanofzoo said:
mtgrizrule said:

Side spinners like Timmy and Riley Bradshaw need touch for both direction and distance on their shots. Pure shooters (released with direct backspin usually using the seams of the ball as a guide) have direction pretty well dialed in every time they shoot. They need touch for distance but not direction. I've seen quite a few side spinners that can get hot but rarely one who will shoot it consistently night in and out. Timmy is one of those.

Mousegriz said:
mtgrizrule said:
fanofzoo said:
mtgrizrule said:

I wish the side spin was addressed in his youth basketball. I had every youth ball player I coached only use backspin. My bad, for not noticing that with Timmy. I've been more focused on his release and follow through, more than rotation. Thanks for your insight. Last season, I guess his results were consistent, and I didn't notice his release and follow through. This year, I noticed it right away, and questioned it, then.

To Timmy's credit, he has solid footwork, balance, base, and timing. I've seen a lot of side spin shooters that needed work with any combination of those things too. Really am surprised rest of his mechanics are solid, yet the side spin hasn't been addressed more. I honestly believe, Timmy still could become a 40% +, 3 pt shooter. There is something to him, that I like in his shooting. I wonder, what the coaches have said to him, or tried to do to correct this. If, Timmy wants to correct it, it can help himself and the team alot. If not, maybe we are seeing some of what is limiting his progress.

I wish, I knew more.

mtgrizrule said:
Mousegriz said:
mtgrizrule said:
fanofzoo said:

I wish the side spin was addressed in his youth basketball. I had every youth ball player I coached only use backspin. My bad, for not noticing that with Timmy. I've been more focused on his release and follow through, more than rotation. Thanks for your insight. Last season, I guess his results were consistent, and I didn't notice his release and follow through. This year, I noticed it right away, and questioned it, then.

To Timmy's credit, he has solid footwork, balance, base, and timing. I've seen a lot of side spin shooters that needed work with any combination of those things too. Really am surprised rest of his mechanics are solid, yet the side spin hasn't been addressed more. I honestly believe, Timmy still could become a 40% +, 3 pt shooter. There is something to him, that I like in his shooting. I wonder, what the coaches have said to him, or tried to do to correct this. If, Timmy wants to correct it, it can help himself and the team alot. If not, maybe we are seeing some of what is limiting his progress.

I wish, I knew more.

Lots of young gym rats out there. I think bad mechanics like shooting from hip and side spinning shots are caused by young kids trying to work their way out to the 3 point line way too soon. The basketball shot is basically legs and shooting hand "driven". If you need to use the non-shooting arm much to get a shot to the basket it's too long of a shot. Even future great ball handlers and overall players develop some of these little things when they are 8 or 10 years old. They are never able to fully change their delivery. Functional shooters because they've worked on it over many days in the gym.....but not pure shooters.

Kabooom said:
Timmy's other problem from not always having the best of attitudes as so indicated in the above post by marroonandsilver, is that His offensive mindset doesn't seem to change weather the Griz are playing big or small when assisting in either offensive schemes. Sometimes his quickness/ballhanding/passes are just a bit too far ahead of the Team personnel on the floor..... He needs to realize and adjust to this a bit more as his teammates might not actually have the same exceptional reflexes and quicks/vision...This will become an asset to the Griz squad over time if the Kid hangs in there and is patient. Awesome defender and that is what is really giving him earned time on the floor by Coach Decuire, much like Bobby Morehead...
If Timmy figures it out , the sky's the limit for Him...

If "his quickness/ballhandling/passes are just a bit too far ahead of the Team personnel on the floor..."
then the rest of the team needs to up its game. Benching him does not help elevate the level of play. Which came first, his frustration or his attitude? I wouldn't blame him for transferring.

Mousegriz said:
mtgrizrule said:
Mousegriz said:
mtgrizrule said:

I wish, I knew more.

Lots of young gym rats out there. I think bad mechanics like shooting from hip and side spinning shots are caused by young kids trying to work their way out to the 3 point line way too soon. The basketball shot is basically legs and shooting hand "driven". If you need to use the non-shooting arm much to get a shot to the basket it's too long of a shot. Even future great ball handlers and overall players develop some of these little things when they are 8 or 10 years old. They are never able to fully change their delivery. Functional shooters because they've worked on it over many days in the gym.....but not pure shooters.

Sorry Timmy but compare this to Manual's shot, pure beauty.

fanofzoo said:
Mousegriz said:
mtgrizrule said:
Mousegriz said:

I wish, I knew more.

Sorry Timmy but compare this to Manual's shot, pure beauty.

Compare their shots, and see why Manuel is more consistent. Manuel has terrific launch angle, release, and rotation. He keeps those consistent, even when he's guarded to tight for proper set up and balance.

Most pure shooters, learned proper mechanics by starting their shooting from a few feet out, using just the shooting hand, added the guide hand, then would add a few more feet as they became consistent from the closer distance.

Young players got upset at me, when I wouldn't let them shoot far shots, until they did the close ones properly with consistency. Fortunately, a few players were already coached properly. I'd have them confirm what I was coaching was how they started also. With proper mechanics and repetition, it takes a few weeks for the concepts to become mentally ingrained. After that, just continue with as many reps as a player can work in.

Mousegriz said:
mtgrizrule said:
Mousegriz said:
mtgrizrule said:

I wish, I knew more.

Great points. The 3 point line is the worst thing to happen in youth basketball. I coached kids for many years and that was always a problem. That and kids shooting g two handed and kids listening to dad only...😂😂😂

Back