• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gregory DUI

Wow, this really sucks for Jordan. I know him pretty well. He's a great guy. He'd be one of the last people that I'd expect to make an error in judgement like this. It all depends on how DeCuire sees this and the accountability
Jordan takes. I hope and pray, DeCuire will allow him to remain on staff. Gregory has a very bright future in college coaching.

However, I will be surprised if DeCuire doesn't cut ties. DeCuire needs everyone to buy into the team, coaches and players. Being this was during the season, DeCuire likely won't give much on this. Doesn't really matter, if a coach is an assistant, or grad assistant, every coach is part of the team. Coaches are expected to set the examples for the players. This isn't a good example. At best, Gregory is disciplined internally, and remains on staff for the remainder of the season. It really would be difficult to find another person to take his spot at this point in the season. If, the players like him, respect him, etc, that may play some into this decision.

Either way, Jordan is in my prayers.

ValleyGriz said:
Yikes. According to KPAX he had a bac of .168. Was hoping the aggravated part was due to not blowing, not being twice the legal limit.

Yikes.

People, Uber can take you home, and return you to car the next day.

mtgrizrule said:
Wow, this really sucks for Jordan. I know him pretty well. He's a great guy. He'd be one of the last people that I'd expect to make an error in judgement like this. It all depends on how DeCuire sees this and the accountability
Jordan takes. I hope and pray, DeCuire will allow him to remain on staff. Gregory has a very bright future in college coaching.

However, I will be surprised if DeCuire doesn't cut ties. DeCuire needs everyone to buy into the team, coaches and players. Being this was during the season, DeCuire likely won't give much on this. Doesn't really matter, if a coach is an assistant, or grad assistant, every coach is part of the team. Coaches are expected to set the examples for the players. This isn't a good example. At best, Gregory is disciplined internally, and remains on staff for the remainder of the season. It really would be difficult to find another person to take his spot at this point in the season. If, the players like him, respect him, etc, that may play some into this decision.

Either way, Jordan is in my prayers.

I think this is a great summary mtgrizrule. I will be surprised if this isn’t the beginning of the end of Jordan’s ties with the program. This won’t play well with Travis as he has worked his butt off to establish a first class reputation and a very disciplined program. His recruiting credibility could also be jeopardized depending on how this plays out as parents expect a coaching staff to set a positive example for their kids and this shows a real lack of judgment. I am truly surprised and disappointed by Jordan’s decision making. I wish him the best of luck.

ValleyGriz said:
Yikes. According to KPAX he had a bac of .168. Was hoping the aggravated part was due to not blowing, not being twice the legal limit.

Oops, that is not good news for him.

Nothing proven yet, but it certainly doesn't look good for Jordan. It does put Travis in an awkward position assuming he has any say in the matter. Do you terminate for cause or do you allow him continue and use the entire affair as a lesson for redemption and making amends for the team and the community?

Tough Call!

PlayerRep said:
cclarkblues said:
PlayerRep said:
maroonandsilver said:
You don't embarrass Travis. Good by Jordan.

You may be right. However, Gregory is just a GA, and not a coach, and I suppose that could cut either way. I.e. he might be expendable. He's still fairly young. I read Haslam's comments as fairly neutral or even slightly promising. If the arrest was not for a clear dui, and the aggravated part is for not blowing, I suppose the charge may get dropped or plead down. The coach may not care. But it's probably good news for Gregory, as of now, that he's not already terminated. Doesn't look like he's suspended either.

Looks like UM is gathering more facts, and thinking about this. As they should.

It's obviously UM and the coach's decision, but I hope Gregory comes out okay. In this day and age, I guess I am fine either way. Personally, I think we all make mistakes. I am on the forgiving side. Also, believe in gathering all of the facts. Many/some dui's go away. My understanding is that refusal to blow (and I don't have any facts) will almost always lead to an arrest.

Assuming that this is the case, is it better for a person to blow or not to blow if you are unsure if you can pass?

I am not a criminal or dui lawyer, so really don't know. The last time I talked to a dui lawyer, which was a while ago, I was told the following. If someone was okay with losing the driver's license and then fighting to get it back sooner than later (which is not easy), then: don't blow if you think you're close to the line. Because you can fight the charge, with a lawyer, easier if you don't have a blow that is over the line. If you know you are way under, then blowing avoids losing the driver's license. Never asked about blowing if way over. If you don't blow, you lose your license, for a fairly long time. Avoid saying much and don't say anything stupid. Don't act stupid at the station, as you're are being videoed. Don't say or co anything that would be evidence of being drunk. Don't know about the field test. I assume if you refuse, that could lead to immediate arrest. Those tests are pretty hard. Not sure how some people would do one them sober. Think that police can now get a call-in (or something) warrant to force some type of test. Don't know it that's blood test, or blow, or both. Don't know how much that is used. Think the rules change if one has had prior dui's, or at least 2. The blow machine at the station is considered more reliable and less subject to attack in court (as being unreliable). Think the handhelds can be attacked more easily in proceedings, but not necessarily easily.

Take this all with a big bag of salt. I really don't know. Perhaps some others on the board can provide better information, or a link, or point out mistakes. If you want get venture capital, sell your valuable company, or take your company public, let me know. Ha.

if you are unsure if you can or can not pass a breath test you should not be driving.

For the record the standard sobriety tests are simple if sober and you are not grossly over weight or elderly. If a person has a physical disability or brain injury that prevents them from safely attempting them they will not be administered. Sobriety tests are standardized around the country and have years of research behind the few that they actually use. one test that that is given needs no physical ability whatsoever it just requires you follow a few simple instructions. In most humans when a certain amount of alcohol is onboard your eyes will not be able to track smoothly and will have involuntary jerking. While a slight % of the population have natural occurring nystagmus most do not. You are not able to detect it in yourself as it just your brain trying to keep up with a moving object. Alcohol hinders this ability, it is not something that can be faked or compensated for.

Handheld portables are simply one more piece of probable cause. yes warrants are issued over the phone for blood draws. For the record your blood will always show higher BAC then a breath test so wiser to submit to a breath test but wisest of all is to call for a ride.

...if you drive..don't drink...
...if you drink..don't drive...
...if you're a habitual offender...
...tattoo this on your forehead...

... :cool:...

I feel bad for Gregory if he is fired or let go over this, BUT it's a good opportunity for Travis to show his young troops that there is consequences for your actions and could prevent future issues from his team.

retiredpopo said:
PlayerRep said:
cclarkblues said:
PlayerRep said:
You may be right. However, Gregory is just a GA, and not a coach, and I suppose that could cut either way. I.e. he might be expendable. He's still fairly young. I read Haslam's comments as fairly neutral or even slightly promising. If the arrest was not for a clear dui, and the aggravated part is for not blowing, I suppose the charge may get dropped or plead down. The coach may not care. But it's probably good news for Gregory, as of now, that he's not already terminated. Doesn't look like he's suspended either.

Looks like UM is gathering more facts, and thinking about this. As they should.

It's obviously UM and the coach's decision, but I hope Gregory comes out okay. In this day and age, I guess I am fine either way. Personally, I think we all make mistakes. I am on the forgiving side. Also, believe in gathering all of the facts. Many/some dui's go away. My understanding is that refusal to blow (and I don't have any facts) will almost always lead to an arrest.

Assuming that this is the case, is it better for a person to blow or not to blow if you are unsure if you can pass?

I am not a criminal or dui lawyer, so really don't know. The last time I talked to a dui lawyer, which was a while ago, I was told the following. If someone was okay with losing the driver's license and then fighting to get it back sooner than later (which is not easy), then: don't blow if you think you're close to the line. Because you can fight the charge, with a lawyer, easier if you don't have a blow that is over the line. If you know you are way under, then blowing avoids losing the driver's license. Never asked about blowing if way over. If you don't blow, you lose your license, for a fairly long time. Avoid saying much and don't say anything stupid. Don't act stupid at the station, as you're are being videoed. Don't say or co anything that would be evidence of being drunk. Don't know about the field test. I assume if you refuse, that could lead to immediate arrest. Those tests are pretty hard. Not sure how some people would do one them sober. Think that police can now get a call-in (or something) warrant to force some type of test. Don't know it that's blood test, or blow, or both. Don't know how much that is used. Think the rules change if one has had prior dui's, or at least 2. The blow machine at the station is considered more reliable and less subject to attack in court (as being unreliable). Think the handhelds can be attacked more easily in proceedings, but not necessarily easily.

Take this all with a big bag of salt. I really don't know. Perhaps some others on the board can provide better information, or a link, or point out mistakes. If you want get venture capital, sell your valuable company, or take your company public, let me know. Ha.

if you are unsure if you can or can not pass a breath test you should not be driving.

For the record the standard sobriety tests are simple if sober and you are not grossly over weight or elderly. If a person has a physical disability or brain injury that prevents them from safely attempting them they will not be administered. Sobriety tests are standardized around the country and have years of research behind the few that they actually use. one test that that is given needs no physical ability whatsoever it just requires you follow a few simple instructions. In most humans when a certain amount of alcohol is onboard your eyes will not be able to track smoothly and will have involuntary jerking. While a slight % of the population have natural occurring nystagmus most do not. You are not able to detect it in yourself as it just your brain trying to keep up with a moving object. Alcohol hinders this ability, it is not something that can be faked or compensated for.

Handheld portables are simply one more piece of probable cause. yes warrants are issued over the phone for blood draws. For the record your blood will always show higher BAC then a breath test so wiser to submit to a breath test but wisest of all is to call for a ride.

The question was what to do if pulled over. The nationwide stats for people drinking and driving are huge.

The field tests are controversial and not overly accurate. Lots of sober people can't pass them.

"One of the most controversial aspects of a DUI stop is the use of Field Sobriety Tests (FST). The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has developed a model system for managing Standardized Field Sobriety Test (SFST) training. They have published several training manuals associated with FSTs. As a result of the NHTSA studies, the walk-and-turn test was determined to be 68% accurate, and the one-leg stand test is only 65% accurate when administered to people within the study parameters. The tests were not validated for people with medical conditions, injuries, 65 years or older, and 50 pounds or greater overweight." Wiki.

In most all stops, police reports say the same thing. The car was weaving. The driver had blood shot eyes and smelled of alcohol.

The answer, PR, is don’t drink and drive. If you have to worry about beating a field sobriety test, use your fucking Uber app.

Blaine Taylor got a dui and after a certain period of mea culpa his career was not ruined. All have sinned. The publicity and the legal consequences should suffice. He should retain his position.

grizzlygrumpa said:
Blaine Taylor got a dui and after a certain period of mea culpa his career was not ruined. All have sinned. The publicity and the legal consequences should suffice. He should retain his position.

BUT........Blainewas a winning D1 coach, not a very-replaceable Grad Asst. Blaine was a notorious drunk and lucky that he only got one DUI, and provided a bad example to kids:if you are important enough,you can get away with more.

I don't really have an opinion about what should be done to Gregory, but alluding to Blaine's easy escape from his legendary drinking escapades shouldn't be the example to follow,IMO.

Zirgs reply is the classic non sequitur. First, the only record regarding Taylor is single DUi all the rest is gossip. The fact he may have been a successful coach whereas Gregory is merely a grad assistant militates in favor of more lenient treatment for him as a first offender not less. We are country of second chances, aren't we?

didn't leroy Washington get a dui when he was an assistant coach. Are grad students considered student athletes or employees?

EverettGriz said:
The answer, PR, is don’t drink and drive. If you have to worry about beating a field sobriety test, use your f***[*] Uber app.

How can that be the answer after one has been drinking and is pulled over? Does one ask the policeman for a do-over? If one has to worry about a field test, it's too late to use the Uber app.

I suppose you think that the "answer" for an unmarried woman who is or thinks she is pregnant, is, "You shouldn't have sex before marriage." Is that what the gynecologist should say? Or, you should have had birth control. Or, should current advice be given?

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
The answer, PR, is don’t drink and drive. If you have to worry about beating a field sobriety test, use your f***[*] Uber app.

How can that be the answer after one has been drinking and is pulled over? Does one ask the policeman for a do-over? If one has to worry about a field test, it's too late to use the Uber app.

I suppose you think that the "answer" for an unmarried woman who is or thinks she is pregnant, is, "You shouldn't have sex before marriage." Is that what the gynecologist should say? Or, you should have had birth control. Or, should current advice be given?

Oh, okay, I get it now. You're simply looking for any possible escape from the need to take personal responsibility.

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

Where in Everett's post does he say anything about after you've been pulled over? He is advocating taking personal responsibility for your condition before you get behind the wheel.

Back