• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Shannon is Fired!!!! Boom!!!

grizzlygrumpa said:
Uh, comparing men's program to women's is apples to oranges. Losing Shannon this way sounds political to me

Wasn’t political. There are issues. Some minor, some large but this non-renewal was hardly unfounded.

Ultimately, I’m not surprised and this was the right decision. I knew it’d be difficult because of who she is and what she’s meant to our university, but this was the right move by Haslam who is more then an outstanding AD, with all the difficult decisions he’s had to make in his career.

Griz til I die said:
Ultimately, I’m not surprised and this was the right decision. I knew it’d be difficult because of who she is and what she’s meant to our university, but this was the right move by Haslam who is more then an outstanding AD, with all the difficult decisions he’s had to make in his career.

I am truly neutral about this decision and understand people supporting Haslem, but I don't think anyone can fully determine if it was the "right move" right now. If both (or all 3) of her daughters decide not to play for Montana now, that will affect how I view this down the road, for one.

This seems more like a "Shannon has had enough chances. We gotta make this move now" decision, and less about having viable, exciting replacement options lined up. We seem content with an interim coach through next season? That doesn't give me ( or any recruit) much confidence in exactly how this program is changing for the better.

Like I said I am remaining neutral for now and will reserve judgement until I see the true impact of how it plays out.

It was the right move. Without a doubt. #toxic Best of luck to Shannon, just stay out of coaching. The remainder of this team was considering options.

cgamber7 said:
Moneyball is an idiot. I have watched every single Lady Griz game for the past 2 years. For those of u half ass fans listen up... 39% of all ncaa student athletes transfer at least once. How many girls that have transferred out of Shannons program have had success?? Don’t worry, I’ll wait... I’m not going to badmouth the girls but just look at the transfers and their history. Kids leave instead of compete. If everything isn’t going their way they quit. Welcome to ncaa student athletes 2020. Thanks to the people who support Shannon and understand her life long commitment to Lady Griz basketball. Shame on you other people who jump in without knowing a damn thing. Kent Haslem is a puppet who succumbed to the pressure of the community of fans who don’t know shit.

Don’t blame Shannon for injuries that have happened. ACL injuries are very common if u take a look. https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28404955/acl-injuries-remain-painful-constant-women-basketball
Probably a lot of truth here that today's player is looking for instant success and more spoiled than those in Shannon's days on the floor and it's far easier to just move on. That is the reality of D1 hoops today, every coach has to deal with it.

Zirg said:
Griz til I die said:

I am truly neutral about this decision and understand people supporting Haslem, but I don't think anyone can fully determine if it was the "right move" right now. If both (or all 3) of her daughters decide not to play for Montana now, that will affect how I view this down the road, for one.

This seems more like a "Shannon has had enough chances. We gotta make this move now" decision, and less about having viable, exciting replacement options lined up. We seem content with an interim coach through next season? That doesn't give me ( or any recruit) much confidence in exactly how this program is changing for the better.

Like I said I am remaining neutral for now and will reserve judgement until I see the true impact of how it plays out.

Having an interim coach through next season probably makes sense. Continuity with recruits remains in place. In these uncertain times how can you even interview for a new coach? Travel and isolation rules are in effect. I would think you would want to have in-person face to face interactions for this important hire. Also, I'm not sure how the BOR hiring freeze affects this process.

We will have to see what the Schweyen daughters decide. Jordan, coming off red-shirt, is a pretty good shooter, who hopefully worked on her defense over this past year. Shelby is coming off her latest knee surgery. She has not played in a game in 2 years. Will she be able to play and when? Will she be effective? The youngest, Sheridan, played volleyball, but was not even on the Sentinel basketball roster this past season, has she given up basketball?

Rumors of an unsettled locker room have been around for at least three years I think the tipping point for this move by the AD was two more women choosing to leave the program in the past week. Who know if others were threatening to leave as well?

Let's move on and hire a permanent coach. This is the perfect time - the committee can justify doing a number of interviews via Skype rather than "bringing in" the traditional 3 chosen from resume's. A new coach has a full year to adjust to the program and doesn't have to do any immediate recruiting. When we hired Jud Heathcote he was told that a condition of the job was that he keep Jim Brandenberg for at least one year.

Kent can do the same here and insist that the new coach keep both Mike Petrino and Nate Colvill. I think Nate has done wonders with the "bigs" and Mike has certainly been a class act through all of the turmoil. Both were successful high school coaches. And, that gives a new permanent coach a year to evaluate the assistants, the talent level of the recruits coming in, and the strength of the Big Sky.

I do hope that Shannon attends games next year as Don Holst has done for years. I would assume that you couldn't keep her away.

cgamber7 said:
Moneyball is an idiot. I have watched every single Lady Griz game for the past 2 years. For those of u half ass fans listen up... 39% of all ncaa student athletes transfer at least once. How many girls that have transferred out of Shannons program have had success?? Don’t worry, I’ll wait... I’m not going to badmouth the girls but just look at the transfers and their history. Kids leave instead of compete. If everything isn’t going their way they quit. Welcome to ncaa student athletes 2020. Thanks to the people who support Shannon and understand her life long commitment to Lady Griz basketball. Shame on you other people who jump in without knowing a damn thing. Kent Haslem is a puppet who succumbed to the pressure of the community of fans who don’t know shit.

Don’t blame Shannon for injuries that have happened. ACL injuries are very common if u take a look. https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28404955/acl-injuries-remain-painful-constant-women-basketball

Shitty record, being swept by Cats, losing games to teams you should beat, a mass exodus of players and a dumpster fire locker room, and early exits from the Tourney. Yea that sounds like a winning recipe to me. One of the best moves Haslam has made.

And your point that the gals who have left haven’t succeeded elsewhere yet isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement for Shannon either....tells me her recruiting also sucks.

717s7e said:
Let's move on and hire a permanent coach. This is the perfect time - the committee can justify doing a number of interviews via Skype rather than "bringing in" the traditional 3 chosen from resume's. A new coach has a full year to adjust to the program and doesn't have to do any immediate recruiting. When we hired Jud Heathcote he was told that a condition of the job was that he keep Jim Brandenberg for at least one year.

Kent can do the same here and insist that the new coach keep both Mike Petrino and Nate Colvill. I think Nate has done wonders with the "bigs" and Mike has certainly been a class act through all of the turmoil. Both were successful high school coaches. And, that gives a new permanent coach a year to evaluate the assistants, the talent level of the recruits coming in, and the strength of the Big Sky.

I do hope that Shannon attends games next year as Don Holst has done for years. I would assume that you couldn't keep her away.

:thumb:

Hookedongriz I understand they came up short when they shouldn’t have. Like I said I have watched EVERY game for the past 2 years. Watch the film on cats at home this year... balls were halfway down the net and came out. And saying thee transfers didn’t have success IS an endorsement for Shannons recruiting. They had success here but not anywhere else? Shannon knew how to utilize them. Look at what her and her staff did with Abby Anderson.

I like most of you were wondering if this was going to happen. I thought Shannon might get one more year but when more players started to transfer this spring things looked bleak especially moving forward. There have been rumors swirling around the program and Shannon for at least the past 2 year, and a lot related to why player where transferring. Many of you I know have heard them and I know the administration heard them, still it looked like Shannon might have a chance this year to really prove herself, but it did not happen. On the bright side Mike Petrino is a GREAT coach. I do not think you could have done better short of bribing Robin to come out of retirement for a year! On the down side for Petrino is he may have inherited a mess with no chance of of success. Normally when a coaches is not renewed you get a few players out of loyalty who will transfer out. If he can hold the ship together with both the returning players and incoming recruits (especially the 2 LadyGriz with the last name Schweyen) he might have a chance. The spring recruiting period is normally a tough time for Women's programs to add quality players. The best high school players all tend to sign in the fall period and the Women's JC ranks talent level is far behind the male JC's and it is tough to find quality D-1 talent there. You add to that the fact coaches are not allowed to leave campus to recruit this spring it will be very difficult to replace roster holes this spring and summer. The Spring period, though, is a great time to pick up a couple transfer, but they may not help Petrino next year, but possibly the Guy/Gal who replaces him in 21-22. Only time will tell but next year could be rough for Petrino but you will be hard pressed to find a better coach to rebuild the program. As a basketball fan I hope he gets the chance. As a Bobcat fan I am nerviuos he will.

A coach I think could do wonders for the Ladygriz program is Loree Payne at NAU. I like what she is doing down at NAU. Will she want to make a somewhat Horizontal (yes I know it is not really horizontal when you compare the programs)change ?

BTW 4 years ago When Robin resigned, Shannon Schweyen was the splashy high profile pick most of the fans and boosters wanted. Trish Duce was the Correct Pick! If Petrino is smart he will convince her move back from a teaching position at UM to his open assistant coaching spot.

cgamber7 said:
Hookedongriz I understand they came up short when they shouldn’t have. Like I said I have watched EVERY game for the past 2 years. Watch the film on cats at home this year... balls were halfway down the net and came out. And saying thee transfers didn’t have success IS an endorsement for Shannons recruiting. They had success here but not anywhere else? Shannon knew how to utilize them. Look at what her and her staff did with Abby Anderson.

Here is the thing, were the girls that transferred successful at UM? And I am sorry, but anyone that looks at what the LG have returning for next season and believe it is a road map to a successful season, I would tell you to check the rose-colored glasses at the door.

Mslacat said:
I like most of you were wondering if this was going to happen. I thought Shannon might get one more year but when more players started to transfer this spring things looked bleak especially moving forward. There have been rumors swirling around the program and Shannon for at least the past 2 year, and a lot related to why player where transferring. Many of you I know have heard them and I know the administration heard them, still it looked like Shannon might have a chance this year to really prove herself, but it did not happen. On the bright side Mike Petrino is a GREAT coach. I do not think you could have done better short of bribing Robin to come out of retirement for a year! On the down side for Petrino is he may have inherited a mess with no chance of of success. Normally when a coaches is not renewed you get a few players out of loyalty who will transfer out. If he can hold the ship together with both the returning players and incoming recruits (especially the 2 LadyGriz with the last name Schweyen) he might have a chance. The spring recruiting period is normally a tough time for Women's programs to add quality players. The best high school players all tend to sign in the fall period and the Women's JC ranks talent level is far behind the male JC's and it is tough to find quality D-1 talent there. You add to that the fact coaches are not allowed to leave campus to recruit this spring it will be very difficult to replace roster holes this spring and summer. The Spring period, though, is a great time to pick up a couple transfer, but they may not help Petrino next year, but possibly the Guy/Gal who replaces him in 21-22. Only time will tell but next year could be rough for Petrino but you will be hard pressed to find a better coach to rebuild the program. As a basketball fan I hope he gets the chance. As a Bobcat fan I am nerviuos he will.

A coach I think could do wonders for the Ladygriz program is Loree Payne at NAU. I like what she is doing down at NAU. Will she want to make a somewhat Horizontal (yes I know it is not really horizontal when you compare the programs)change ?

BTW 4 years ago When Robin resigned, Shannon Schweyen was the splashy high profile pick most of the fans and boosters wanted. Trish Duce was the Correct Pick! If Petrino is smart he will convince her move back from a teaching position at UM to his open assistant coaching spot.

I knew this was a sooner or latter. I don't believe there is anyone out there that has more of a 24-7 basketball mentality than Mike. No off switch built in. We will all be watching to see who he is as a coach. I know he is master recruiter given his success at previous schools. He wasn't utilized here for that. The three coaches left will have to share in the responsibilities of getting things right here. Unlike Shannon I think he has humbleness that will allow him to do just that. Also agree Trish Duce is a good pick for staff. She understands what it supposed to feel like when a player finishes a basketball career at the UM. We have just enough left to salvage next season. Maybe even enough to improve given better coaching. I do think this was a hard hard decision and have respect for Haslem and Bodnar for making it.

To celebrate the fact that someone loses their job is classless and I don't care who it is. Is it necessary at times? Yes! But that does not give cause for celebration. Most of us have known and competed, with and against. someone whose competitive juices were over the line. What made them great also led to their demise. Maybe that was the case here. I really don' know.

What I do know is that Shannon is a Grizzly legend. Her past successes and contributions to the University of Montana far outweigh this stumble. I am sorry this happened to her and I wish her and her family the best of luck in her future endeavors. Thank you Shannon for what you have contributed to the University of Montana. I am very disappointed the coaching stint didn't work out. It is a very difficult situation for all involved.

Griz1 said:
To celebrate the fact that someone loses their job is classless and I don't care who it is. Is it necessary at times? Yes! But that does not give cause for celebration. Most of us have known and competed, with and against. someone whose competitive juices were over the line. What made them great also led to their demise. Maybe that was the case here. I really don' know.

What I do know is that Shannon is a Grizzly legend. Her past successes and contributions to the University of Montana far outweigh this stumble. I am sorry this happened to her and I wish her and her family the best of luck in her future endeavors. Thank you Shannon for what you have contributed to the University of Montana. I am very disappointed the coaching stint didn't work out. It is a very difficult situation for all involved.

Lets make this clear Shannon Schweyen is and always will be a Grizzley (not just a Ladygriz) legend. She was the equivalent of Larry K and Micheal Ray Richardson all rolled into one. NO other LadyGriz player has even come close to her!

How about some good news! I have heard Sophia had her surgery completed. Slipped in before everything shut down. Again I am somewhat confident of the source but not 100 percent certain. Some one should start a new thread and move on. I think money ball can rest for a while. I know if he sees injustice towards players he will return.

Latest posts

Back